Help button in rdesktop doesn't work. (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
papaschtroumpf

Help button in rdesktop doesn't work. (Solved)

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

The "Help" button has no effect in the rdesktop application (the one by Barry, not the one by Thinix)
It would be nice to have a popup showing what options are available to enter in the option field.

Is it supposed to work or was it never implemented? if it needs to be implemented maybe I could take that on as an introductory project...

In the case of the Thinix app, I have the following problem:
Thinix client doesn't appear to support connecting to 127.0.0.1, the iwndow disappears and nothing happens, so I don't know if that means it crashed, or "gracefully" terminated, or what.
I noticed that the field is called "hostname" so maybe it tries to resolve the IP address as a host name? maybe I'll try localhost next time to see if that fixes it.

The reason I connect to localhost is that I use rdesktop over the Internet and I first establish an SSH tunnel with my home network through my Mandriva machine that redirects localhost:3389 to <ip address of my XP machine on my LAN>:3389
This way I have (relatively) strong encryption and only my SSH port is open on my broadband router.

Neither application appears to give you an option to save the last set of parameters entered (nor does ssh-gui) so I may approach the problem entirely differently and simply write a small script that uses the CLI interface to SSH and rdesktop to connect automatically to my home machine when on the road.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

My apologies to Barry
The help button did eventually bring up the rdesktop man page.
I was simultaneously running the ./createpuppy script and I guess it took a while for dillo to open the page because the machine was cranking away (that's a side effect of puppy, you expect everything to be instantaneous).

I'll try the using localhost in the Thinix app to see if it gets rid of that problem.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie