Please, what form factor is this wifi card?

boof

Please, what form factor is this wifi card?

#1 Post by boof »

below is a picture of my Intel 5100 WiFi card from a Toshiba Satelite M300.
I'd like the below card in the correct bus, if that's possible, or another which will definitely provide WPA-PSK-TKIP encription in 5.6 OOTB.

I bought a Broadcom BCM4318 4318 wireless wifi B/G mini pci card thinking it'll fit, but I've mucked up. <***Pays to open the box and look before you order and pay for bits.>
Attachments
tosh.jpg
(88.97 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

That is a PCI Express Mini Card form factor WiFi Card.

'Form factor' is the more appropriate term here -- 'bus' concerns itself with the electricals primarily -- most of it is what we call a 'protocol' -- and only delves into the physical to address connectors, if even that. 'Form factor', by contrast, refers primarily to the physical specifications -- size and shape -- as well as connector areas, but does not necessarily define specific connectors and tends to stay well away from any electrical-level stuff.

The other common form factor for WiFi cards is the MiniPCI card. It's about twice as wide as the PCI Express Mini Card, but the same length, and has the connector on one of the two long edges.

There are people who (correctly) abbreviate PCI Express Mini Card as PCIe Mini Card or PCIE Mini Card, as well as those who (incorrectly) call it a MiniPCIe or MiniPCIE card.

MiniPCI is a 32bit parallel-bus implementation of PCI (basically a Conventional PCI slot that met a shrink ray) whereas the PCI Express Mini Card is a serial bus implementation of PCI (a teeny tiny PCI Express x1 slot). The two are incompatible at both physical and electrical levels... but most people don't understand this sort of stuff and so confuse the two similarly named but yet very very different cards...

boof

#3 Post by boof »

thank you. now I know a bit more.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Glad to help!

Hope I didn't confuse you any tho... technical stuff does that to people sometimes ;)