L.A.S.S.I.E. - Version 0.0.2 - a new LazY Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
RSH

#61 Post by RSH »

The information you posted solved all my problems
Ok, good to hear.
I am ok booting from Cd but will probably carry out a full HDD install some time in the future
Don't do this.

Do a frugal install either to HDD or to USB-Flash (or USB-HDD) - I recommend USB-Flash.

L.A.S.S.I.E. is made especially for the use of SFS Modules that can be loaded for the use of its containing application and unloaded on the fly after the application is not longer needed during the session.

To load and unload SFS Modules doesn't change anything inside the OS as it is done when installing .pet files.

A full HDD install can not handle SFS Modules in that way.

You can create so-called RunScripts by right-clicking a SFS Module (choose 'Create RunScript) and after creating the RunScript, the application can be executed from a (its) menu entry. The SFS Module will load automatically before executing the application.

Try also this feature it is somehow similar to previous mentioned RunScripts but comes as a RoxApp Directory (needs to be stored on ext partition).

More information to this feature can be found at SARA-B in forum Utilities.

Ok, I hope you'll have fun with L.A.S.S.I.E.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

greengeek

#62 Post by greengeek »

Wow! Looks great RSH :-) Major project.

bark_bark_bark

#63 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I had installed it and tried booting it with GRUB Legacy, but it won't boot.

I have installed and configured GRUB Legacy correctly.

RSH

#64 Post by RSH »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I had installed it and tried booting it with GRUB Legacy, but it won't boot.

I have installed and configured GRUB Legacy correctly.
This doesn't sound good to me.

Unfortunately I've never used GRUB Legacy and so I don't have any idea, why it won't boot.

All my bootable partitions on usb flash drives and/or usb hd drives are formatted to FAT32 with Grub4DOS installed to boot the operating systems.

Please, would you post here again, if and how you maybe solved this (so I can put a link to such solution for other users using GRUB Legacy)?

Thanks.
greengeek wrote:Wow! Looks great RSH :) Major project.
Thanks, though I think, the Major project is still to come. Maybe L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will be close to it?

Besides L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will be able to boot directly into a specific Language, Keyboard Layout and also Timezone, it will have some more new features.

To boot L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 directly into a specific Language, Keyboard Layout and also Timezone, parameters plang, pkeys and ptimezone can be used separately as well as this all can be setup by a single parameter, pinterface. This of course is limited so far to the languages of the pre-installed langpacks.

L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will have some Menu Pipes for JWM like:

- Recently used Files
- Rox Bookmarks
- List of SFS Modules loaded
- External Scripts
- Portable Linux Applications
- Portable Windows Applications
- RoxApp Application-Directories
- Personal Favorites

To get those external Scripts, RoxApps and Portables into the JWM Menu, a corresponding file is used, which is located at boot partition.

One e.g. definition in this corresponding file would be, the name of the Wine SFS Module to use.

Clicking a Menu entry in the Menu Pipe for the Portable Windows Apps, will load first the defined Wine SFS and then execute the Portable Windows App.

Expanding the OS by programs from SFS Modules and get them into the Menu by Menu Pipes - no remasters are needed for this.

Another Example given:

Create a SARA-RSD Application Directory with SARA-B. Copy this SARA-RSD Application Directory into a Directory at L.A.S.S.I.E.'s parallel partition and put a symbolic Link into the external directory used for the Personal Favorites. Refresh the Menu Pipe and use the application from SFS by a Menu entry in Personal Favorites JWM Menu Pipe.

No save files, no remasters needed at all!

Plus some more, which I will announce later.

RSH

RSH

#65 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Regarding of my announcements in my previous post as well as to the inabilty of L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.2 to create a save file at shutdown (except on usb-flash, FAT32 formatted), I did decide to make a step, that I've already announced and partly released in LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005.

L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.3 will be completely unable to use and handle puppy save files - I have removed and modified everything that I could find in the scripts to make L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.3 a PUPMODE=5, RAM only, no save file in use Puppy Linux.

It will include the Configuration SFS and Personal Data SFS ability and functions, which I'm using for about a year now in my private version of LazY Puppy to keep settings like used GPRS Modem and/or selected Screen Resolution etc.

Besides a manually editing by unsquashfs/mksquashfs or SFS-Edit, there will be the SFS P.L.U.S. Remaster Script and also the LazY Remaster Suite to remaster the OS - if a remaster really would be necessary.

RSH

RSH

#66 Post by RSH »

Download LP2_JWildFire-1.63.sfs.
The LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs is predefined as dependent SFS for LazY Puppy and L.A.S.S.I.E. 002.

oui

KDE environment as SFS and Parley as Debian DEB

#67 Post by oui »

@RSH

and it also works in LASSIE

under the condition you invoque the KDE applications from Urxvt console and NOT from Menu (the new installed menu items don't work!)

(this message was edited in Konqueror!)
Attachments
kde.jpg
(38.28 KiB) Downloaded 576 times

RSH

#68 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Looks like there are just a few steps to go and L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 will be ready to upload.

L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 will come with 3 Window Managers installed:

- JWM
- IceWM
- Fluxbox

Attached Image shows L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 with IceWM including the new Menu Pipes, which are now working for JWM, IceWM and Fluxbox.

This L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 was booted from USB HD directly into DE Language, DE Keyboard Layout and DE Timezone just by a Menu Entry in menu.lst.
kernel /LassieDev/vmlinuz lpextsfs=LassiePrecise_Extension.sfs lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no psubdir=LassieDev pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pinterface=de nouveau.noaccel=1
Opened Menu Pipe showing in the Image represents my external Scripts Directory, its Sub-Directories and Scripts.

RSH
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(182.1 KiB) Downloaded 834 times

oui

#69 Post by oui »

Hi RSH

Good info, thank you very much! Is the ISO yet online?

And why only 3 :lol: WM? Why not KDE?

KDE depends of an (existing) suppl. SFS of course but offers considerably wider performances as only a pretty desktop:

if you use and load a kde.sfs, you are also able to work with a lot of other goodies of Linux depending of KDE like educative applications (Kturtle, Parley etc) as well as artistic applications for sounds and music, painting etc.!

stemsee

#70 Post by stemsee »

Looks like another keeper!

Menu pipes, builds menu from harddrive directory trees ... oder?

RSH

#71 Post by RSH »

stemsee wrote:Looks like another keeper!

Menu pipes, builds menu from harddrive directory trees ... oder?
Yes.

These Menu Pipes using a corresponding File at boot partition, wherein the directories of Scripts and Files etc. are to be defined, so the User can setup his own Directories for Scripts and Files etc.

Let's say the user defines a Script Directory "Scripts" then the Menu Pipes searching for Directory "Scripts" at boot partition. But one can define also a complete path like: /mnt/sda1/my-scripts.

All these Menu Pipes are statically, which means, one needs to refresh them manually after content of directories has changed.
oui wrote:Hi RSH

Good info, thank you very much! Is the ISO yet online?

And why only 3 WM? Why not KDE?

KDE depends of an (existing) suppl. SFS of course but offers considerably wider performances as only a pretty desktop:

if you use and load a kde.sfs, you are also able to work with a lot of other goodies of Linux depending of KDE like educative applications (Kturtle, Parley etc) as well as artistic applications for sounds and music, painting etc.!
I don't know much about KDE, so I would need to learn again a lot to be able to include KDE into L.A.S.S.I.E.

No, the ISO is not yet uploaded. Sorry for confusing, but "just a few steps to go" wasn't meant like "just a few minutes to work".

If I would try to include KDE, it surely would take still months to upload L.A.S.S.I.E. 003.
slackfan wrote:Hi RSH
RSH wrote:This L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 was booted from USB HD directly into DE Language, DE Keyboard Layout and DE Timezone just by a Menu Entry in menu.lst.
kernel /LassieDev/vmlinuz lpextsfs=LassiePrecise_Extension.sfs lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no psubdir=LassieDev pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pinterface=de nouveau.noaccel=1
Is there some step by step description for all parameters of that commando line so we can be able to vary them if more adequate?

(DE language is sometimes ok for me, sometimes not; DE Keyboard ist ok as far as Swiss DE keyboard :wink:; DE Timezone is ok)

bye
When L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 is uploaded it will contain a description for all the new L.A.S.S.I.E. boot options and also a few examples of different entries for the file menu.lst.

Please post future questions etc. in -this here- my already existing L.A.S.S.I.E. thread and don't re-open any new ones. I don't want to "manage" several different L.A.S.S.I.E. topics.

I will ask the admin to remove the one you have opened, since there is not yet a L.A.S.S.I.E. 003. uploaded.

Edit:

@Admin
Thanks for removing the topic.

@slackfan
Those boot options shown in above code are similar (or maybe equal) to those that are already used in your LazY Three Headed Dog DE version. The new one is pinterface which doesn't do anything when not used/submitted. So a user will still be able to use plang and pkeys as usual - and to use ptimezone in addition, which is also a new boot option.

LazY Puppy

LazY Puppy & L.A.S.S.I.E.

#72 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Yes, it is ME!

For some conceptional continuity I did decide to change my User Name to LazY Puppy - though I will sign with RSH and use the RSH Account when there is a need for, like updating one of them posts etc.pp. (whatever meanwhile has happened on the RSH Account (like PM's etc.), I will come to this in the End of January 2015.). Also I have established a E-Mail Account named lazy-puppy@xxx.xx.

This conceptional continuity is based on some thoughts for real Life Issues impacted by a loss of a well known by me person (not completely loss but almost completely, since he has had Brain-/Heart-Attacks two days in a row, happened two days after my last RSH post done) and is now still only able to say YES (in German of course).

Unluckily I have to say, he has had wasted the previous last ten (10) years by sitting in Front of a Windows Computer, downloading and collecting illegal Movies well structured archived on several external HD Drives.

Instead of consulting a Doctor while struggling on physical weakness for weeks and months combined with signals like not to feel his own legs and/or arms/hands, he took care of whitening his teeth up and inserting a missing tooth deep inside his mouth. Yes, he's just 39, so he wanted to refresh himself a little.

Five days before this has happened we did talk again about to consult a doctor, like we did very much in the past 12 Months. I know him for about 13 Years and did consult him at least two times a week within the last ten years. And he was the only Guy where I did drink some Alcohol (exception: visiting a Concert with my Girlfriend). So maybe we are some kind of Friends, but even the talk to a Friend was not useful/helpful to get this Guy to a Doctor or even into Puppy Linux! :lol:

Yes, he's just 39 years old and I'm now 51 (within a few weeks) and I was convinced to have lived the more excessive Life (except in the abuse of drugs/alcohol). A few (not less) people of mine have had passed away within the last three years and -not to forget, nooby- some of them by suicide (either jumping into the water or by drinking until death - some earlier good musicians by the way).

However, not to fall to deeply into my thoughts and pains, I have decided, to make Puppy Linux a continuing Part of the rest of my Life - at least the Puppy Linux's Life. Or better saying, LazY Puppy and LazY Puppy Development. Note: this will not mean by sure to build again and again LazY Puppy Systems or L.A.S.S.I.E. Systems.

No!

LazY Puppy to me now is more than having the LazY Puppy invented, published and established on a German Public School. LazY Puppy to me now is very much more as one might be able to read out of this Name - even if he would own all of the background knowledge. LazY Puppy is a mean mean Part of myself.

I AM La zY Pup py! :lol:

No, for real:

I'm now going a very different way. Instead of remastering the OS again and again, I do edit the init Script in initrd.gz, inserting Functions to get automatically Information from a config File at boot partition and executing a Script doing Jobs based on that Information from the config File.

And I'm still NOT going to run out of Ideas! :o

So, I was busy... 8) :shock: :D :idea:

More in my next Post, which I'm going to prepare right after the intermission...

RSH

LazY Puppy

#73 Post by LazY Puppy »

RSH wrote:I'm now going a very different way. Instead of remastering the OS again and again, I do edit the init Script in initrd.gz, inserting Functions to get automatically Information from a config File at boot partition and executing a Script doing Jobs based on that Information from the config File.
Yes, this is one of the new Features in L.A.S.S.I.E. 003, which will probably published at the End of January 2015.

Though you can look for more details here and try to build it by yourself. There is already everything published, to establish this Feature in the Puppy of your Choice. So no need to wait for L.A.S.S.I.E. 003.

Besides some usual daily work on my different Puppies, I have invented and created the GDAM Builder.

(G)tk (D)ialog (A)pplication and (M)enu Builder

This is a Development Environment for GtkDialog created in GtkDialog. It comes with an integrated *Script Language* to modify the output of created XML-Code, like adding easily separators or Menu Categories etc. by Text based Commands (separator, sub, endsub etc.pp.)

Features:

Work with Application Lists:

Create Lists of .desktop Files to build dynamically GtkDialog XML-Code for Menus containing the Data of .desktop Files listed, to execute these Programs from within a GtkDialog Program.

Also scrollable Button Menus (single/multiple rows/columns, v/h) can be produced by such Application Lists.

Creating Favorites Menus for your own GtkDIalog Applications, that are easy to build into your Programs, always up to date and configurable just by editing the Application List used.

No need to visit the GtkDialog Code again!

Work with Build Lists and Projects:

Create a Build List containing multiple Application Lists and save such Build List. Next time loading this Build List, a Project is automatically created to build complete GtkDialog Applications either by the use of templates for the body part of the GUI or by entering Code into the Projects Object Editor. This could be true XML-Code, Application Lists for Button Menus, Files containing usable Code Parts of GtkDIalog XML-Code.

Build directly .pet Files and/or .sfs Modules from a Project that has been successfully turned into a GtkDIalog Program.

Work with Functions Editor:

Edit Content of Functions. No Function Frame needs to be defined. When a Application List is tested tit will List all missing Functions. These Functions can be submitted to a Build List. If the User doesn't choose to build them by clicking a Button, they will be created automatically when the GtkDialog Programm will be build. If there is a equal File found in Projects Functions Directory, it will be inserted as the related code to the Function created.

Documentation:

Documentation currently includes Documentation (DE), QuickHelp (DE), Easy Bash GUI (EN)

If testing or building a GtkDialog Menu or Program has failed, it will present Messages to help finding the Error.

Work with Markup Text Editor:

Comes with modified embedded Markup Text Editor to create easily colored and sized Text to put immediately into the XML-Code.

Work with GtkDialog IDE:

Comes with modified embedded GtkDialog IDE.

Work with Easy Bash GUI:

Easy Bash GUI 10.0.0 embedded to create easily Message Boxes etc,pp,

Work with Application Management:

Manage your Applications in use while developing. Run GDAM Builder at your main desktop. Send GIMP to create a Icon or Image for your Program to a different desktop.

Need it?

Select it in the Application Management List and hit Enter to get it onto the current desktop

All GIMP work is done?

Select it again and hit back space to send it back to its original desktop. Hitting back space without to select a Application will send all of them back to their original desktops.

So, now announcing

(G)tk (D)ialog (A)pplication and (M)enu Builder

to be introduced in L.A.S.S.I.E. 003.

RSH

greengeek

Re: LazY Puppy & L.A.S.S.I.E.

#74 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:This conceptional continuity is based on some thoughts for real Life Issues impacted by a loss of a well known by me person (not completely loss but almost completely, since he has had Brain-/Heart-Attacks two days in a row, happened two days after my last RSH post done) and is now still only able to say YES (in German of course).
Sorry to hear about your friend. That must be difficult to see - especially finding communication so difficult.
I'm now going a very different way. Instead of remastering the OS again and again, I do edit the init Script in initrd.gz, inserting Functions to get automatically Information from a config File at boot partition and executing a Script doing Jobs based on that Information from the config File.
This is a very exciting concept. I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of remastering and continually re-using a pup.sfs containing different contents but same name.

With your method a developer could create a pup.sfs that remains true to the developers design, but with your super-init adding a personalised layer over the top. Love it!

l0wt3ch

#75 Post by l0wt3ch »

Welcome back RSH.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

LazY Puppy

#76 Post by LazY Puppy »

Welcome back RSH. wrote:Welcome back RSH.
Thanks! :D

If you have sent me PM to RSH Account I can't open it before End of January 2015. Just for your interest.
l0wt3ch wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend.
greengeek wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend. That must be difficult to see - especially finding communication so difficult.
Yes, that's true horror!

I have learned to play a Role, so sometimes I play a Role to make my Girlfriend some lucky Moments during some daytime. But I have had never ever learned to hide my emotions. If I feel real Horror, you can see it coming right out of my Face!

And he has seen the Horror in my Face - I've noticed that. So he's still there and present - and of course knows all about we were talking the last 12 Months.

Yes, that's Life. My Brother in Law died aged 31 on Cancer. We all do pay the price for living, which is: Life. We pay for what we have had done or even too for what we have had missed to do.

I will pay for what I've done especially and exclusively. Besides my Drums and my current Girlfriend for now nine and a half year, Puppy Linux is still one of the best things happen to me in my Life. I like programming -even if I'm still not a Programmer- since the middle of the 1980's, done on Atari ST then. But had to pay for a Programming Language (ST Pascal +, 250 DM) and Public Domain Software was just in the beginnings but very active already.

But now, having everything wide opened up, it's a truely Gift. A *horrible* truely Gift and the more Code I'm reading the more Ideas come in mind. My Girlfirend is reading a Book, I'm reading Scripts. I wish you all would be able to use DE interface, I would send you a Puppy Linux Computer Paradise on a 32 GB USB Flash Drive. :lol:

So when it comes to me to pay the price, I want to be sure some of that was for Puppy Linux!
greengeek wrote:This is a very exciting concept. I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of remastering and continually re-using a pup.sfs containing different contents but same name.

With your method a developer could create a pup.sfs that remains true to the developers design, but with your super-init adding a personalised layer over the top. Love it!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 984#809984
greengeek wrote:Nice work RSH - you are getting very close to being able to make it possible for Puppians to write a small text file listing their 'personalised options' and have puppy boot automatically into that personalised state without any remaster at all.

Then no keyboard interaction will be needed either!

Puppy will look for the file and set itself up. Bliss!
I like remastering still very much. Yes, it's uncomfortable to use different versions by equal names. My Remaster Suite is working in unattended Mode and renames the SFS automatically when ever I'm activating the GUI Option. Since I'm using smallest .gz compression possible generally it takes about 15 Seconds to create a 350 MB .gz compressed SFS. Also it boots much faster when .gz compressed.

But I also like the Idea, to develop Programs in a LazY Puppy and afterwards testing those Programs using equal OS without any of my extensions. Instead of having six remastered versions and six of the original versions present on USB Flash Drive or HDD, only the six original versions would be needed therefor.

And I don't like very much to configure too much stuff manually after booting into X desktop. Setting up the Quick Setup for DE interface is almost enough. Will solve this also by the L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 Boot Options ptimezone and pinterface (which works really smart :D ) for the Slacko 5.9.3 initrd.gz..

So, of course, the one and only way is the init Script in initrd.gz. I don't know much about systemd, hopefully they won't change it too quickly. (And: aren't there Puppies without SFS, just initrd.gz?)

My current Solution, presented in the above linked Post, is of course really really close to what you suggest. But I can write Scripts. The average user usually can't.

So it would be needed first to define some Standards of what Options to be setup by the User's config File. This Job has to be done by a Script even following those Standards. I can hack everything into a code that I want have to work - well, almost everything. And I want to do this.

So for Guys like me there would be also needed a Standard config Script.

Makes at least two Sections for one config Script:

- Section 1 for System Settings
- Section 2 for User Settings

The User Settings at least would need two Entries.
- for the Name of a Script to be executed
- a flag if it contains stuff, that needs to be execute before /root/Startup

My current Goal would be to have no config File at first boot - except there are predefined User Settings - and after booting into X desktop to find a either new created or a patched config File, that would e.g. offer me a List of possible Screen Sizes and Resolutions where I could choose from to be used at next boot using the config File - either presented just as comments or -even better- in already usable Form, just lines commented out to be changed easily.

Beyond this everything seems to be possible using a fresh, clean and un-remastered version of any Puppy Linux.

Examining...

RSH

oui

#77 Post by oui »

Hi RSH
Also from me, welcome back!
You have very buzy with your developments.
And they are great.
But I read that you are running and running (as other Puppy developpers to produce new versions adapted to an already other old version)! As long we will use Ubuntu as our base and Ubuntu will produce a new version each April and October of each year, it will be so and continue to be so.
BK did discover that reality a lot of years ago. And I am certain other one like Debian itself did also do it!
BK did realize that only the way through a Distribution builder can be done to prevent this terrible reality! And he did produce his Woof, the distribution builder of Puppy!
If that was really needed?
Yes, of course, but good scripts do the same and are more open as far as good documented in text and good structured...
I use more than one distribution because I use in some cases THE MOST ACTUAL version of the software I can use without to need to use Arch or Gentoo... And Original Ubuntu is that.
But I also use NuTyx since about 4..5 years. It would be difficult to use only NuTyx else I would do it. NuTyx is fast because it is optimized for the processor ;-) (it is probably an adequate way to mess itself with all in RAM distributions like Puppy, as Puppy is not optimized for it!. NuTyx is a two mann show with one creator and one developper having the great labor to port the KDE into NuTyx. What is the important message I will transmit to you and other member of the Puppy staff?
Then...
Nutyx is a correct but completed LinuxFromScratch derivate always in the actual new version.
It is coming with a distribution's building script from LFS/BLFS sources (not absolutely in full automatic but about) as well as, different from Original LFS being only available from sources, from the NuTyx-Binaries for 32- as well as for 64-version (bravo powerfull 2-mann-staff)!
and, it is the point, you can install them out about all other running (not only preinstalled, Arch Pup is enough!) distros (Original Puppy is not going: bash seems to be different fom Ubuntu's bash, Ubuntu bash works! It is the same with Keyboard's definitions being never actualized in Puppy! Years and years long the same terrible errors...!).
What is the importance of that!
Big!
You don't need to reproduce some errors. Each new distro version is really re compiled from A..Z!
And each other member of the community as always the same chances to do the same as you, it is team work.
And all the system is completely open: Sources, scripts, as well as the git...
Really entirely open.
Using scripts to BUILD THE DISTRO and not only to USE THE DISTRO gives to that distro real power: To man develop a complete system (from completely and uptodate available sources of course) used to build from sources, to install from script or to install from own maintenance system or from ISO (both are about equivalent: the difference is, that the maintenance system is always pre located and pre installed on the own hard disk and that you never need to burn a CD ot to install an ISO on USB stick)!
my opinion is that your great stuff (LazY stuff, Sara B stuff, variable Menus stuff, Rox app's stuff, LP3-, I suppose now, ...-SFS stuff) would need an installations access equivalent to them I have describded for Nutyx: from Sources, from Binaries through a git (there are free git depositories! you don't need to manage yourself and pay for a site: all is free as it is for free software!) through scripts, You are really a great master in writing scripts, as using a tool as You did produce more that one time, remastered Puppy ISO's... to install more and remaster more.
This way would allow to maintain always just in time actual versions of best software as the most work is to elaborate and adapt the sources and does LFS / BLFS itself. And as LFS is, of course an great exigent but traditions oriented community work, this important part of the job comes finish for more.
I wish you new Version 3.0 a big success and long life but also above vision of development in the future.
Kind regards

greengeek

#78 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:So it would be needed first to define some Standards of what Options to be setup by the User's config File. This Job has to be done by a Script even following those Standards. I can hack everything into a code that I want have to work - well, almost everything. And I want to do this.

So for Guys like me there would be also needed a Standard config Script.
Yes, it would take considerable discussion to agree on the contents / requirements of that standard config. It would be nice to agree on a puppy init structure that allowed critical changes to be made (during init) without the need for personalisation/remaster of the main sfs as offered by the developer.

If a user wants to avoid constantly remastering what the developer has offered (just to get the puppy the way they want/need it to be) then what other methods are available to personalise the puppy? A user could ask "If I am booting a 'developers_generic_puppy.sfs' then what does the that basic puppy.sfs lack for me? What would i like to change during the init/boot phase in order to personalise this puppy the way I want it to be?"

1) Specify a bootsplash image
2) Set interface language (eg as proposed by L18L or via "pinterface")
3) Set locale/language
4) Set hostname
5) Specify dhcp or static IP
6) Set timezone ("ptimezone")
7) Specify blacklisted modules etc??
8) Specify some pre-boot or 'during-boot' scripts (eg firewall setup and sfs load list?)
9) Specify a desktop wallpaper
10) Specify which sfs must be loaded during boot.
11) I might want to run some post-boot scripts (eg the way /root/Startup already does now - eg: which drives to mount; which websites to open, maybe also a way to open programmes/windows that were active in some previous session (like Apple timemachine or similar)- ie I could have my "Monday Init" which sets puppy up for my workday, or my "Saturday Init" which sets up my puppy for weekend activities, or my "Evening Init" which sets up my puppy for entertainment websites, music scoring, online jam sessions etc)

So maybe what is needed is a text file that specifies each of the above parameters (accessible to initrd.gz), then a way to force each of the puppy wizards to run during boot and access those parameters during that process. Or some other better way to achieve this.

Very similar to kernel parameters but more extensive.

Just one text file and two images and voila my personalisation is done for me during init!

Of course such an idea only works if the generic.sfs is a good match for my hardware - otherwise the standard savefile/remaster may be inevitable to accommodate the necessary changes...

LazY Puppy

#79 Post by LazY Puppy »

1) Specify a bootsplash image
2) Set interface language (eg as proposed by L18L or via "pinterface")
3) Set locale/language
4) Set hostname
5) Specify dhcp or static IP
6) Set timezone ("ptimezone")
7) Specify blacklisted modules etc??
8) Specify some pre-boot or 'during-boot' scripts (eg firewall setup and sfs load list?)
9) Specify a desktop wallpaper
10) Specify which sfs must be loaded during boot.
11) I might want to run some post-boot scripts (eg the way /root/Startup already does now - eg: which drives to mount; which websites to open, maybe also a way to open programmes/windows that were active in some previous session (like Apple timemachine or similar)- ie I could have my "Monday Init" which sets puppy up for my workday, or my "Saturday Init" which sets up my puppy for weekend activities, or my "Evening Init" which sets up my puppy for entertainment websites, music scoring, online jam sessions etc)
I have made some progress on this and will open its own thread for this in the programming section.

RSH

LazY Puppy

#80 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:Hi RSH
Also from me, welcome back!
You have very buzy with your developments.
And they are great.
Thank you very much, oui! :)
But I read that you are running and running (as other Puppy developpers to produce new versions adapted to an already other old version)! As long we will use Ubuntu as our base and Ubuntu will produce a new version each April and October of each year, it will be so and continue to be so.
BK did discover that reality a lot of years ago. And I am certain other one like Debian itself did also do it!
BK did realize that only the way through a Distribution builder can be done to prevent this terrible reality! And he did produce his Woof, the distribution builder of Puppy!
Yes, and this is exactly the clue!

I have stated it multiple times - I am not a programmer and I am not a distribution builder. I am a Hacker, having fun examining Open Source Codes, modifying Open Source Codes and doing some programming for Applications, that I want to use. Each and every little line of code written by myself has been done, because it was part of an Application, that I wanted to use.

I don't like the Internet and my complete online Life is usually turning around Puppy Linux. When I'm entering the Web a thousand times, there may be (not must be) one time out of those thousands of times, that I'm entering the Web for a different purpose.

This fact for itself makes me unable to be a distribution builder. Since almost all of you out there are addicted online-abusers and addicted to the use of smartphones or so-called smart devices, this would force me to do a lot of internet, web and smart device related work - which I don't want to do. I'm not interested in!

I don't need a smartphone since I'm owning a smart brain. I am able to carry phone numbers without to use and to carry energy-wasting electronic devices where ever I'm moving.

I don't need Global Positioning Navigation Devices since I can move and find my way home just by watching the Sun and/or the Stars.

I don't need a control-center for my digital devices since I'm the control-center of my home and all its devices - not only the (less in numbers) digital ones.

I don't need a digital personal time management device since I don't want to fill up my life with stupid actions like trying to become rich or watching ice-cube battles on the web, which would force me to do a personal time management and then to be forced to put beloved by me persons into such personal time management.

That's just stupid human behavior!

Let me try to explain this a little more - I'm calling this the

Animal/Human Normal Mode/Danger Mode Theory

Looking at the fishes in the sea - the small ones, the swarms of fishes. If they are in Normal Mode, they are just swimming and doing whatever fishes are doing in the sea. Everyone :lol: is just acting like he/she :lol: wants to act. But if they are getting into Danger Mode, they have a code:

- look left
- look right
- do what they do

And it works perfectly!

Exactly this code:

- look left
- look right
- do what they do

is Human acting in Normal Mode. But when humans are forced to get in Danger Mode, they kill each other because everyone acts chaotic and filled of panic. Usually kids and other physically weak persons are the dead ones out of this Human Danger Mode.

My Personal Normal Mode is:

- do what you want
- look left
- look right
- never ever do what they do

So there might be some intelligence of the swarms, but that's absolutely NOT true for swarms of human beings. And it will never ever become true by the use of stupid digital so-called smart devices! :wink:
If that was really needed?
Yes, of course, but good scripts do the same and are more open as far as good documented in text and good structured...
I use more than one distribution because I use in some cases THE MOST ACTUAL version of the software I can use without to need to use Arch or Gentoo... And Original Ubuntu is that.
But I also use NuTyx since about 4..5 years. It would be difficult to use only NuTyx else I would do it. NuTyx is fast because it is optimized for the processor Wink (it is probably an adequate way to mess itself with all in RAM distributions like Puppy, as Puppy is not optimized for it!. NuTyx is a two mann show with one creator and one developper having the great labor to port the KDE into NuTyx. What is the important message I will transmit to you and other member of the Puppy staff?
I don't use any other operating system.

My default daily OS is still the LazY Puppy - of course my extended private version. Sometimes I do use the Precise 5.6 based LazY Precise. Don't want to switch to any other OS - especially if it doesn't offer something similar like Puppy Linux's .sfs files. Also I think, it would be a waste of time, since I'm getting now close to being a expert - only meant as for my personal uses and tweaks.
Then...
Nutyx is a correct but completed LinuxFromScratch derivate always in the actual new version.
It is coming with a distribution's building script from LFS/BLFS sources (not absolutely in full automatic but about) as well as, different from Original LFS being only available from sources, from the NuTyx-Binaries for 32- as well as for 64-version (bravo powerfull 2-mann-staff)!
and, it is the point, you can install them out about all other running (not only preinstalled, Arch Pup is enough!) distros (Original Puppy is not going: bash seems to be different fom Ubuntu's bash, Ubuntu bash works! It is the same with Keyboard's definitions being never actualized in Puppy! Years and years long the same terrible errors...!).
This belongs to the distribution builders, so: BarryK, 01micko etc.pp.

I just don't have the knowledge to fix or change such *years long terrible errors*. Maybe they don't have the knowledge as well? I don't know.
What is the importance of that!
Big!
You don't need to reproduce some errors. Each new distro version is really re compiled from A..Z!
And each other member of the community as always the same chances to do the same as you, it is team work.
And all the system is completely open: Sources, scripts, as well as the git...
Really entirely open.
Using scripts to BUILD THE DISTRO and not only to USE THE DISTRO gives to that distro real power: To man develop a complete system (from completely and uptodate available sources of course) used to build from sources, to install from script or to install from own maintenance system or from ISO (both are about equivalent: the difference is, that the maintenance system is always pre located and pre installed on the own hard disk and that you never need to burn a CD ot to install an ISO on USB stick)!
:lol:

I couldn't even compile applications in most of all cases! :lol:

How should I be able to compile a complete OS? :lol:

You funny guy...
my opinion is that your great stuff (LazY stuff, Sara B stuff, variable Menus stuff, Rox app's stuff, LP3-, I suppose now, ...-SFS stuff) would need an installations access equivalent to them I have describded for Nutyx: from Sources, from Binaries through a git (there are free git depositories! you don't need to manage yourself and pay for a site: all is free as it is for free software!) through scripts, You are really a great master in writing scripts, as using a tool as You did produce more that one time, remastered Puppy ISO's... to install more and remaster more.
This way would allow to maintain always just in time actual versions of best software as the most work is to elaborate and adapt the sources and does LFS / BLFS itself. And as LFS is, of course an great exigent but traditions oriented community work, this important part of the job comes finish for more.
I wish you new Version 3.0 a big success and long life but also above vision of development in the future.
No, my *great stuff* doesn't need any installation access from sources and binaries at git or something similar. LazY Puppy etc. has got everything on board to create your own .sfs files from .pet and .deb files. Every Puppy Linux comes with development extension (devx) so the end user also can compile applications. So LazY Puppy offers more options to create and build applications as any other Puppy Linux or its derivative.

What my *great stuff* would need at first, is to be recognized as a *great stuff*!

Ok, there have been some users -like you- that already did so, but not the developers. And since all of this *great stuff* is NOT programmed using a well founded background knowledge of Puppy Linux it would be needed to re-coded!

All of this *great stuff* is hacked into the keyboard until it worked by having a HUGE amount of FUN!

That's what I'm doing here, that's what I'm doing in LazY Puppy (Puppy Linux). Just having fun, and trying to explore the undiscovered opportunities and possibilities of this generally wonderful piece of computer art.

I have Ideas, that I still can't get into some code, so I'm trying to publish some work that I was able to code and would be probably useful for other Puppy Linux users.

Who knows?

Maybe the developers did already recognize that *great stuff* -I can see some influence of some of my work done in the past three years in the new Slacko- but as stated it would need to be recoded.

That would be a huge amount of time.

Thanks for your posting,

RSH