Recording music onto my laptop with external A to D

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
LeithR

Recording music onto my laptop with external A to D

#1 Post by LeithR »

I have an analogue to digital converter so can plug in my analogue turntable.

What I want to understand about and eventually download is the software to enable me to carry out this operation on my HP Pavilion ZV6000 with Slacko 5.3.3. What are the relative merits of the possible options please?

Is there any more information required please?

Many thanks

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

well for realtime recording there is mhwaveedit and some pups have a simple recorder program thats should be sufficient.

You may need to get familiar with alsamixer for setting up the input..it runs in a terminal.

There is also audacity but the more recent versions are cpu heavy for recording so one to bear in mind.

Usually recording to a wave editor program is the most convenient as you can trim the result and perhaps correct for levels/equalise easily then render to your favourite format. For an LP you could record the lot and then chop up into tracks to save babysitting the job.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Leith, does your turntable have a headphone output, or only a USB plug for a computer? I could be wrong but I doubt that Puppy will be able to use the output of a USB turntable, at least not without a lot of fiddling. However there's good news: your laptop probably already comes with an excellent quality A-to-D converter built in. It's the Mic input or the Line-in input. Actually I think both of those inputs use the same A-D converter, but one has a bit of attenuation. Probably Line-in.
MhWaveEdit can digitize (using the A-D converter that came with the laptop) inputs to the Mic or Line-in jacks. I've used it to convert books on cassette tape to mp3 files so I can listen to them with my mp3 player, but mhWaveEdit is very powerful and can convert audio to many different digital formats.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

If I remember correctly, PEMASU's distros do this natively. Use the "fatter" ones (200+MB) as they will have the tools on the desktop.

ALSO, @Absolute is making his Studio 13+ available to Puppy users. This, most certainly, will allow what anyone would want in this area of audio processing.

Hope this helps

LeithR

#5 Post by LeithR »

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated. I'll check them out and get back if more info required.