Puppy DVD won't boot after creating Save file in HD (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
linuxwannabe

Puppy DVD won't boot after creating Save file in HD (Solved)

#1 Post by linuxwannabe »

I was running slacko puppy off a dvd but when I made a pupsave file my dvd disappeared from my computer! If I put a cd or dvd in it spins but I can't access anything on it including puppy (windows loads). What happened?

linuxwannabe

#2 Post by linuxwannabe »

So no one knows what could have happened? It's not just that puppy won't boot from the dvd but the dvd drive has disappeared from my laptop. I can't play music cds, dvd movies or anything at all. This happened right after I made the save file.

As I was shutting down the computer and made the save file everything seemed to be fine but when I restarted, Windows loaded not puppy, I thought maybe the dvd disk got messed up so I went to "My Computer" in Windows to check the iso files on the disk and that's when I saw the dvd drive is missing, it's not in the "device manager" either. I don't know what to do.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Your drive quite possibly picked a very bad moment to die. Or it got disconnected inside... turn the computer off, pull it out (the whole drive!) and put it back in, then boot back up, see if that fixes it. If not, you probably need a drive.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

You could check the computers bios setup and see if it shows up there and the settings look good.

Make sure you are booting from a point that you completely powered off the computer, let it stay that way for a few minutes, and powered back on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Sometimes the BIOS will hide a drive it thinks is causing errors. Try pulling the power cord from wall then cycle the computer with the BIOS setup attempted ( you should not have to due anything but access the sata submenu ) twice.
It works in windows due to a old reference ( its still there I actual hardware , windows has ignored BIOS ) Linux respects BIOS a bit too much. :cry:

lol bigpup and I are saying the same thing... he posted while I was slowly typing my reply.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh laptop.. pull the battery and power, press the power on button for a few seconds to clear the warm boot charge and hopefully the temporary error flag. If you can remove dvd subunit from case ( most can be removed if you find the hidden release latch) If you can't find it do not force it. The cycle the laptop with it out then back in to clear the error flag.
Sad to say this could be an on going issue between BIOS and linux its hit and miss and not much can be done, but I'd be on the look out for replacing the dvd subunit in the future. BIOS may be detecting a drive with intermittent problems. It could also be a one time hiccup so do not worry, BIOS and Linux are doing its job and Windows like to hide its head in the sand and ignore problems.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

If you are going to replace laptop dvd subunits consider a BluRay burner the price difference between dvd and bluray laptop drives are not as dramatic as for desktops. You will have to pay more for a thin laptop subunit anyway, shop around well rated bluray burners are under 60 usd now, just besure its a burner and has windows software to playback DRMed movies, Linux doesn't support DRM but for 6x the storage and 8x the raw speed of a DVD for BluRay media its really nice to use as a live media ( you would have to jump to Fatdog64 or copy those text scripts back for full use )

linuxwannabe

#8 Post by linuxwannabe »

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dvd drive itself, the light blinks when I power up the computer and I can hear it spin when I put a cd in.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago when I tried to save puppy file to a cd. I thought that the cd got messed up after I saved. Few days later I noticed that the dvd drive went missing but I didn't link the two together until now. I don't remember how I got the drive back but it was several months before it popped up in the computer again.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried what has been suggested?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

So you're trying to create a multisession CD or DVD? (That is, when you shut down, you told Puppy to save to the CD or DVD.) There are many ways to run Puppy and some of them have several save options. It would be helpful if you could tell us which one you meant.
As for your hardware, if you're trying to run from a multisession CD or DVD in a laptop, there's a good chance it won't work. Nobody seems to know for sure why. Probably the optical drives used in laptops are somehow different from the ones used in desktop computers.

linuxwannabe

#11 Post by linuxwannabe »

I did check the bios and the cd-rom is listed there. I connected a portable dvd drive to the laptop and puppy booted with my saved settings. The save file is on the laptop's hard drive.

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

" As for your hardware, if you're trying to run from a multisession CD
or DVD in a laptop, there's a good chance it won't work.

Nobody seems to know for sure why.

Probably the optical drives used in laptops are somehow different
from the ones used in desktop computers. "

Yes! heartache with laptops.

:::::::::::::;

Cut down hardware is how I describe laptop cd/dvds.

Chris.

linuxwannabe

#13 Post by linuxwannabe »

I just tried what Ted Dog suggested and it worked! The dvd drive is back!
Thanks very much!! Should have done that at the very beginning (was worried I wouldn't be able to put the battery back in, silly me).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

So your problem is solved? Which one of Ted's suggestions did the trick?

linuxwannabe

#15 Post by linuxwannabe »

I shutdown the laptop, took out the battery, pressed and held down the power button a couple of times. Then I put the battery back in, turned on the computer (Windows) and the dvd-rom was there in "My Computer" again.