Pipelight package for Puppy?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
angrydingo007

Pipelight package for Puppy?

#1 Post by angrydingo007 »

I'm running the latest version of Precise (571), so I thought I could use the Ubuntu packages, but I have to use a PPA.
I don't know how - or if I even can - do that on Puppy.

So I'd like if someone could either make a Puppy package or tell me how to install the Ubuntu package from the PPA.

Here is their website: https://launchpad.net/pipelight

solo

#2 Post by solo »

I'm very much a noob in the Linux world, so bear with me, but...

the good news, is that you are running Puppy Precise, which has a kernel based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, meaning that a lot of packages compiled for Ubuntu Precise, could, in theory, also be used in Puppy Precise. And so you can look for a download of the Pipelight package with your browser.

Here it is:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/pi ... ight-multi

32-bit or 64-bit, you choose.

The not so good news, is that while the kernels of Ubuntu Precise and Puppy Precise are compatible, there probably are a few differences in environment variables. That is to say, Puppy Precise might not have certain libraries installed which are neccessary to run a package.

In this case, we know Pipelight uses Wine, so you'll need that installed. But it may have more dependencies.

If you want to learn which dependencies an executable program needs, you can go to the folder it is installed in with the ROX Filemanager, often this is /usr/bin or /usr/sbin, then, in the folder window, you do a right-click, go -Window- in the menu, and then got to -Terminal Here-.
In the terminal, you type

Code: Select all

ldd pipelight
This will show you a list of files the program needs to execute, but more importantly, it also shows whether they are present or missing.
If there are only a few files -not found-, then you may consider finding and installing these one by one, but if there are a lot -not found-, then chances are there is another package which needs to be installed.

That is about as far as my knowledge goes. :)

Good luck!

solo

#3 Post by solo »

Oh, and btw, before you start experimenting, you may want to make a backup of your save file.

angrydingo007

#4 Post by angrydingo007 »

I actually don't really need it. I wanted to play a Unity3D game, so I found out that I needed Pipelight to do that.

If it were easy to install, then that'd be nice, but I have a dual boot with Windows anyway for these things.

I'm already over the game anyway :lol:.

Thanks for the detailed, helpful answer, though.