Mercedes350se

#106 Post by Mercedes350se »

@eowens2

Have you looked at the ODROID U3 forum?

eowens2

#107 Post by eowens2 »

Mercedes350se said:
Have you looked at the ODROID U3 forum?
No. I knew that Odroid/U3 had a magazine (I have read some of the articles) but did not know about the forums.

After googling for the forum and perusing it for an hour or so, I note some interesting relevent material.

Thank for making me aware.

jamesbond

#108 Post by jamesbond »

When I got my Odroid U3, I also got their Ubuntu and Android. It is somewhat of a hassel to move the microchip in and out to change to a different OS, so my goal is to give FatdogArm, Ubuntu and Android each it’s own partition, and to select which to boot from the single microchip at boot time.
That's what bootmenu is for, but I regret to say that it current *does not* work. I've just re-tested it again - it crashes the kernel, it can't even re-load itself (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2558903 - exynos 4412 can't disable MMU).

There were one or two questions about kexec on Odroid forum but there is no answer.

I'm currently looking at some work by Tassadar about kexec-hardboot and it *might* be applicable to Odroid kernel - but don't count on it.

The rest of the questions are irrelevant but I'll answer them anyway for completeness.
So far, I can get to the bootmanager page, so I guess uEnv.txt is O.K., but the boot from the external USB drive fails with “unable to load kernel for selected entity
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

eowens2

#109 Post by eowens2 »

jamesbond,

Thank you for a very informative, detailed response regarding Bootmenu. There is a lot of info there (and in the links to xda-developers), and it is going to be a while before all of this sinks into my brain!

[quote]Quote:
While I can get to the Bootmenu page, the ESC, Tab, “E

eowens2

#110 Post by eowens2 »

jamesbond,

You posted a new kernel for the odroid/u2-u3 on 17 Sep 2014.

Looking through the kernel sources on ibiblio.org and it's mirrors, the latest source I can find is for 09 Mar 2014.

Could you point me in the direction of the source for the kernel dated 17 Sep 2014?

Thank you.

HiDeHo

#111 Post by HiDeHo »

Most arm devices use .img files to install teh os. i noticed that teh odroid U2/U3 install file does not have a .img to flash. how am i supposed to install Puppy.

*EdIT*'I followed the instructions to install fatdog-arm to sd and it seems to work. But ...........

After booting the Odroid U3 i am stuck I have a prompt saying
Welcome to Bulldog Linux
bulldog login:

there is no information on what the username and password are. it should me mentioned in the readme or install file. Hope someone responds with the correct details.

eowens2

#112 Post by eowens2 »

HiDeHo said:
there is no information on what the username and password are.
Try:

login -root
password - woofwoof

HiDeHo

#113 Post by HiDeHo »

eowens2 wrote:HiDeHo said:
there is no information on what the username and password are.
Try:

login -root
password - woofwoof
thanks that worked why this info is not in the documentation i will never know.

now i am stuck at a command prompt. how to boot into gui. desktop. tried xwin, xsession nothing works.

I am beginning to think fatdogArm does not work.

turf

#114 Post by turf »

do this pup work in raspberry pi?
just wante to know cause I really wanted to install pup to my raspberry pi.

HiDeHo

#115 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi does the devs or users of fatdog-arm actually watch this forum and reply with help. i really would like to get this working on my Odroid. but without a gui its pointless using it. back to lubuntu i guess. :).

support and tutorials are a good idea to get an os moving forward. It seems this project may be dead if no help is given.. No offence at all.

Ted Dog

#116 Post by Ted Dog »

Sorry the main dev. has undisclosed personal reasons to being away. on another thread he told us he would be away for a while. does sound like you are missing a SFS file and getting the bulldog prompt from the small init environment. do not leave yet... FD arm is so much better than the rest and scary compatible with the 64bit pc verison in look and feel. I have never seen such a dedicated Droid.. developer since R2D2.. :wink:

Mercedes350se

#117 Post by Mercedes350se »

Mercedes350se wrote:Just curious before I install FatdogArm.
That was on 1 April! Life moves ever so sloooooooowly in the bondoo.

In the mean time I flashed Ubuntu 14.04 - seems to be change for change sake - so I will leave 13.10 on the eMMc card.

Today flashed FatdogArm onto the SD card. Well done jamesbond.

First impressions:

I am unable to import my bookmarks - I haven't read all the posts so I apologise if this has been discussed.

Tried xine on a representative sample of my miscellaneous collection of file types and all played. Excellent!

Is there some way to set the time automatically on boot - I haven't been through all the system settings?

Is there some way to delete the bar below the URL bar so that there is more screen real estate?

Anniekin

#118 Post by Anniekin »

cool... is there a way to install it to a smartphone?

HiDeHo

Fail and better Odroid U3 ideas.

#119 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i have been trying to get FatdogARM beta2 working. on my Odroid U3 without any luck. The tutorial provided Here is for the beta1, so it does not mention the 3 sfs files used in beta2. from my understanding of how dd works it will erase the whole sd, so why does the tutorial provided recommend to make a partition on the sd card first which will be wiped when running the dd command.

After talking to a friend we feel this would be a more logical way to do things.
  1. Download the following:
    odroid-u2-kernel-new.tar.gz
    fd-arm.sfs
    fd-arm-devs.sfs
    fd-arm-nls.sfs
  2. extract the contents of odroid-u2-kernel-new.tar.gz to ~/Temp
  3. dd ~/Temp/odroid-u2-new/u2-uboot.bin of=/path/to/(emmc or sd) seek=1
  4. create a fat32 partition 5mb from the start of the drive
  5. copy the 3 sfs files, fd-arm.sfs, fd-arm-devs.sfs, fd-arm-nls.sfs to that partition
  6. copy the files from ~/Temp/odroid-u2-new/ (not inclulding the .bin)
At the time of writing this i have not actually tried to install following the above format. if you do let us know if it works for you. also feel free to use this in an updated tutorial if you are doing one.
It would be good to have a detailed description of what each of the 3 sfs files are for and what they include. This would be useful especially for new users to a PuppyLinux based os.

It would help if there was one .img file that included all the needed things needed to be installed. This is now other os' built for odroid U3 work. When the os.img file as been copied to the sd or emmc of the odroid it creates 2 partitions
  1. fat32 for the boot partition just big enough for boot files.
  2. ext4 which is just big enough for the os and needs to be later expanded to fit the rest of the emmc/sd.
I do not have the skills myself to do this, so if anyone is able, and willing to, it would be a benifit to FatdogARM and Odroid U3 users.

Thanks for taking the time to consider these ideas and updates. Please Let us know what you think.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#120 Post by Ted Dog »

yes it works.. The dd is for the tiny part at the first of the sdcard does not extend into other areas. trickery is in the offset fat sharing the first partition with the boot blob we DDed Also fat part is large since we store the actual OS there the other is for Your savefile / storage etc.
@other poster the dd bin file needs to match your model and the corresponding config settings. If you have a working other linux you can 'borrow' the boot bin and configuration file from that to boot first stage, Also let main dev. know where you have a working version so we can borrow those for the next version as well.

Ted Dog

#121 Post by Ted Dog »

yes it works.. The dd is for the tiny part at the first of the sdcard does not extend into other areas. trickery is in the offset fat sharing the first partition with the boot blob we DDed Also fat part is large since we store the actual OS there the other is for Your savefile / storage etc.
@other poster the dd bin file needs to match your model and the corresponding config settings. If you have a working other linux you can 'borrow' the boot bin and configuration file from that to boot first stage, Also let main dev. know where you have a working version so we can borrow those for the next version as well.
those three are standard way of dividing out sub groups.
fd-arm is the main OS
fd-arm-devx is the developers tools C makefile etc ( not normally include in by default in puppylinux spinoffs since well not everyone needs those ) but helpful here for a complete package.
fd-arm-nls is the new kid on the block, includes international language support also optional for most if you speak English.
Also includex for complete package.

Ted Dog

#122 Post by Ted Dog »

looks like I haven't update my ARM machine to this new version, just imaged the prior sd-card image and let me see what I get..

Ted Dog

#123 Post by Ted Dog »

opps lot of issues trying to overlay old with new. Need to zero out sdcard. Got magic number errors and truncated files ( was using FD64 7b2 ) will redo it with Fatdog64 631 had problems with truncated files with Fatdog64 7b2 before. :shock:

if you read the size and offsets for your model is different directions at bottom of instructions.

Ted Dog

#124 Post by Ted Dog »

zeroed sdcard checked md5sums, install is solid but first boot I also am left in bulldog investigating why.

replace beta1 version over newer (fd-arm.sfs) and created a savefile with it. (it ran fine, HDMI overscan was extreme, need to edit to change to VGA, can't see prompt and first few characters )

but after I changed back to this newer one again left in bulldog. So Iam guessing only those actually covered in Beta2 directory work.

Need my pre-SuperBowl nap.. Go SeaHawks :wink:

Mercedes350se

Re: Fail and better Odroid U3 ideas.

#125 Post by Mercedes350se »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi i have been trying to get FatdogARM beta2 working. on my Odroid U3 without any luck.
From the tutorial mentioned in your post:

"General problems
================
If the system cannot boot, please zeros out your SD card first. Sometimes leftover data prevents the system from starting.

To zeros SD card:
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/your/sdcard/device bs=4M"

and wait until it's finished, then re-partition the card."

I found this was necessary.