Soundproblem Fatdog 810

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stefan21

Soundproblem Fatdog 810

#1 Post by stefan21 »

+++ Sorry I wanted to post in this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546 +++ Could a mod be so kind and move it? +++

While running FD 810 without savefile, sound is working fine. Sound in a mp4-file in VLC is played. Also sound in firefox after downloading is working proper.

Now running FD 810 with my savefile, which is in fact on a luks-partition and a save-directory, breaks the sound. Trying to choose the default soundcard, only the Bluetooth devices shows up.

But:

# cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf0630000 irq 32
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf0634000 irq 29

or

# aplay -l

**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Sub-Geräte: 1/1
Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Karte 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], Gerät 0: ALC282 Analog [ALC282 Analog]

and:

less /root/.asound

pcm.!default fdplug
ctl.!default { type hw card 1 }
pcm.fdplug plug:fdsoftvol
pcm.fdsoftvol {
type softvol
slave.pcm fdasym
control.name "SoftPCM"
control.card 0
}
pcm.fdasym {
type asym
playback.pcm {
@func getenv
vars [ ALSA_PCMOUT ]
default "fddmix"
}
capture.pcm {
@func getenv
vars [ ALSA_PCMIN ]
default "fdhw"
}
}
pcm.fddmix {
type dmix
ipc_key 6312540
ipc_gid audio
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm fdhw
period_time 0
period_size 2048
buffer_size 32768
}
}
pcm.fdhw { type hw card 1 device 0 }

# for use plug/plughw overrides
pcm.vdownmix
{
@args [ SLAVE ]
@args.SLAVE {
type string
}
type vdownmix
slave.pcm $SLAVE
}
# for a2dp-alsa
pcm.a2dpfifo {
type rate
slave {
pcm {
type file
slave.pcm "null"
file "/tmp/a2dp.fifo"
}
rate 44100
}
}

Default should be:

1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf0634000 irq 29

Something must be wrong. At this point I need help.

Thanks in advance
stefan

stefan21

#2 Post by stefan21 »

Digging and playing around with FD 810 brings up:

- it seems changing the locals let the soundcards, except of the bluetooth device, disappear.
- running nightly 52.9.0 (64-bit) is working with sound
- my ff-profile from ver. 62.x esr could be used (just copy)
- unfortunately a lot of addons are not working (i.e. ublock origin needs nightly at least 55.x)
- seamonkey latest version is also working with sound, unfortunately I can't find a way to migrate the firefox esr 62.x profile

Not quite easy, for the moment I can live with that.

In summery FD 810 is a good update/version, thanks a lot to the devs.

regards,
stefan

jamesbond

#3 Post by jamesbond »

Now running FD 810 with my savefile, which is in fact on a luks-partition and a save-directory, breaks the sound. Trying to choose the default soundcard, only the Bluetooth devices shows up.
Are you running it from an __existing__ savefile from older version of Fatdog?
Please don't do that; we specifically say that Fatdog will not update from older version (this means you cannot re-use your old savefile); and if you do, expect to see something broken.

The suggested upgrade process is to setup a new savefile/savedir, and then when booting with the new savefile/savedir, you open the old savefile/savedir and copy over whatever stuff that you need.
- it seems changing the locals let the soundcards, except of the bluetooth device, disappear.
I'm sorry stefan, I don't understand you. What do you mean by locals?
- unfortunately a lot of addons are not working (i.e. ublock origin needs nightly at least 55.x)
There are older versions of these add-ons that will work with 52.9esr. You just need to search for that (I think firefox addon page does allow you to look for older version).

But if you need an up-to-date firefox, I'd suggest that you install the official binary from Mozilla. This can be done by opening the control panel, the choosing the "updates" tab, then choose the "update firefox" icon. You will get the last firefox (version 72.0.1 the last time I tested), and sound should work too. Before you do this, you may want to uninstall firefox-gtk2 first.

(We wish we could build a custom Fatdog version of the latest firefox, but the current version of firefox requires "rust compiler" and that compiler in itself is about 5x the size of Fatdog! So for now please use official mozilla binary).
- seamonkey latest version is also working with sound, unfortunately I can't find a way to migrate the firefox esr 62.x profile
Seamonkey is quite different from firefox and you cannot migrate it. The best you can do is export bookmarks from your firefox and have seamonkey import it.
In summery FD 810 is a good update/version, thanks a lot to the devs.
You're welcome. I'm glad that you like it.

For the next post, you can post in the Fatdog 810 thread, with URL link to this thread so we can continue the discussion over there and do not pollute this forum with Fatdog-specific threads.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]