how to restore Pfind entry in Menu tree?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

how to restore Pfind entry in Menu tree?

#1 Post by nubc »

After attempting to upgrade Pfind in Wary 5.1.1, I have decided to downgrade to the original version. Using PPM, I uninstalled new versions of pfind, gtkdialog, and pfilesearch with the result that Pfind is broken. I managed to recover Pfind by substituting all instances of the above 3 programs present in live CD, and restored it, except for a few minor errors.

Code: Select all

# pfind

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  4493 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  4721 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
EXIT="Ready"

aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  5781 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/searchresult5567': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/searchresult3656': No such file or directory

However, the Menu entry for Pfind in Filesystem is missing. Thus I have to run Pfind from console, which generates a few errors, as above. In addition to restoring Pfind link in the Menu tree, I would like to make a Desktop shortcut to call Pfind. Toward that goal, I would like to know the relationship between Pfind and pfileseach: heirarchal, systemic and functional. Is there a point in the daisy chain of calling up Pfind from which I can drag an icon, executable or symlink to Desktop? I use the Pfind program constantly, and I would like to place the Menu tree link as the first main item in the trunk of the Menu tree, above Help and beneath Fun.

solo

#2 Post by solo »

To get Pfind as a desktop icon, you open ROX filemanager, and you go to /usr/share/applications/. You will find a file there called pfind.desktop. Drag that from the ROX window to your desktop.
You may modify the title by right clicking it and selecting Edit Item (to change the name from pfind.desktop to pfind), and you may change the icon by right-clicking and selecting File 'pfind.desktop', and selecting Set Icon.

To add Pfind to the menu, you go to ROX Filemanager, and clicking on the eye icon in the taskbar, to reveal the hidden files. What you are looking for is a file called ~/.jwmrc. Right click on it and select File '.jwmrc', and then Open as Text.
This will open Leafpad or Geany.
So first you want Pfind to appear under Filesystem.
You scroll down untill you find something that looks like this:

<Menu label="Filesystem" icon="folder24.png" height="16">

Underneath this menu label are all the programs in the menu Filesystem. So you will want to add Pfind to it. So you add a line like this:

<Program label="Pfind locating files" icon="mini-search.xpm">pfind</Program>

But you also want an entry in your main menu between Fun and Help, so you scroll down to where you find this:

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

Now, you have a choice if you want Pfind to appear above or below the seperator, but youe can add the same line above the Help Program Label, and that should do it.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

Done, with success. Excellent instructions. Thanks, solo.

solo

#4 Post by solo »

Thank you.

Glad I could help.