Server Puppy missing mailserver

Using applications, configuring, problems
MasterK

Server Puppy missing mailserver

#1 Post by MasterK »

Hi everyone
I've managed to configure Puppy with an almost identical setup as my former mandrake 3 cd distro :D
Crontab, Mysql, perl, PHP, Apache, sshd, vnc remote, dhcpd, Firewall with routing to the internet for other computers on my Lan and Hamachi VPN tunneling software.
All packages very easy to get....But i NEED a Mail server, preferebly (spellingError?) Postfix, as i'm used to it.

I'm running puppy on a Epia box 600Mhz with a

phpbbviet

#2 Post by phpbbviet »

MasterK

#3 Post by MasterK »

Thanks for the link, but i've allready seen the post by Nathan_F. What I had in mind was a mailserver with imap support, and yes, i voted on the Xmail page in the poll about imap support ;)

I've been using postfix for a long time, and this resulted in a Debian install on the Epia box mentioned above.... :( But i love Puppy, and i'll reconfigure everything once again, if puppy comes with imap mailserver and fetchmail support.
Meanwhile i've got a 10Mbit remote gameserver running Battlefield 2 with Puppy breathing inside. It's so easy to configure puppy/BF2 and teamspeak via ssh and vnc.
This server has been up and running for a month now without ANY reboots.

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

I can probably compile it and create a rudimentary package, but I have no idea how to configure it properly. That is the whole reason I chose xmail, it is easy to configure. I'm not totally satisfied, though, because it runs as root and as such is a security risk.

So maybe give me some time and I will try to compile postfix. And then maybe you could help me figure out how to configure it? Sound like a fair trade?

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

MasterK

#5 Post by MasterK »

Nathan F wrote:I can probably compile it and create a rudimentary package, but I have no idea how to configure it properly. That is the whole reason I chose xmail, it is easy to configure. I'm not totally satisfied, though, because it runs as root and as such is a security risk.

So maybe give me some time and I will try to compile postfix. And then maybe you could help me figure out how to configure it? Sound like a fair trade?

Nathan
Great... YES i'll help you with configuration, sure. When i've got it up and running on puppy, i know "howto" :), and i'll be more than happy to help with your setup.

Does the Xmail server not allow you to start it as a different user (not as root)?

Which distro are you using for building Binaries for Puppy ??

I've so far managed to get the most needed server software installed, but to be honest, i'm just a Linux newbie.
When i want to do somthing in linux my "walk to the goal" is like this:

Method 1
1: Install the package, that's made exactly for the distro (Easy way ;) )
2: One happy Linux user 5-15 minutes later :D

Method 2
1: DO {
2 Google around....
2: }WHILE (forum post/article about subject NOT found....)
3: get .tar file (beware... this get hairy :) )
4: DO {
5: configure...
6: If (needed dependicies not ok) {
7: Google some more for missing stuff...
8: Get missing stuff...
9: configure missing stuff
10: }
10: } WHILE (configure = FALSE)
11:DO {
12: Make
13: If (stuff still doesn't work) {
14: MAKE IT WORK!!!!!
15: }
16: } WHILE (make = FALSE)
17: Make Install
18: One very happy Linux user :D

Funny, when using this method, the problem allways solves between 3:30 and 6:30 in the morning..... Well 6:30 is ok, then it's only

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

Does the Xmail server not allow you to start it as a different user (not as root)?
It can be done but it requires some strange workarounds. Basically you have to run it on a high (njon-priviledged) port and then use iptables to forward the incoming traffic. Basically it's more convoluted than I would like to do.
Which distro are you using for building Binaries for Puppy ??
99% of the time I'm compiling from within Puppy itself, or Grafpup (if it isn't a gtk2 app). When things go wrong I use Vector, but very rarely does it get to that now. In fact my Vector installation went away for almost half a year.

I'll download the source tonight and see what I can do.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

Okay, I have the binaries now. This required Berkely DB so I compiled that also, plus installation required the 'fmt' utility so I grabbed it out of Vector. This is going to require that a couple users and groups are added to the system for administration/etc. so I will write a pinstall.sh script to take care of that. Maybe in the morning some time. I have yet to test anything since, like I said, I have never configure postfix before. So it will all need lots of testing.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

MasterK

#8 Post by MasterK »

Great, I'm looking forward to see your work... If you don't want it out in "open air" yet, then PM me for details about my FTP server.

Edit: BTW. which Puppy version are you making the binaries for ?

Nathan F

#9 Post by Nathan F »

I compiled it on a brand new save file in 2.02. I'll probably redo a lot of my packages when 2.10 is a little further along.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...