How to use Edimax 7811un USB dongle in Wary 5.5?(Solved)

noalternative

How to use Edimax 7811un USB dongle in Wary 5.5?(Solved)

#1 Post by noalternative »

I followed the instructions located here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 953642cf4a,

and here,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85220

and could never get Wary to activate it. Wary does not offer this driver as an option in the Network Wizard when I click the load modules button. I can't figure out how to specify it either.

Slacko offers it but I think it is too resource intensive for my old ibm 380e thinkpad. Pentium2 333mhz 20gb hd 256mb of ram, 24x cdrom .

I am also trying to activate a dwl-630 Rev A pmcia card. I would actually prefer this since the edimax is for a cable box that uses wifi to download programs. The Rev A part is important information since the different revisions of this card have different chips and drivers. After failing with autoprob, I loaded the windows driver successfully with ndiswrapper, Unfortunately I could not install it after installing Wary to the hard drive. I went back to the live cd and it would not install there either. It has never installed successfully on Slacko.

Is there a way I can update the available drivers in network wizard on wary? Maybe there is list I can add the module to, or an updated pet, to make it more like the wizard in slacko, which offered the edimax driver by default, and generally has a much larger collecition of installable drivers? Is there a reason Wary and Slacko will only activate the dwl-630 Rev A sometimes? Is there a driver I can specify for it?

I really need wifi access. Dialup is not an option where I use this computer.
Last edited by noalternative on Sat 29 Mar 2014, 03:06, edited 2 times in total.

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

If you would, please insert your dwl-630 card (make sure Puppy recognizes it,) and then post the output of this command...

Code: Select all

cardctl ident
Having the chipset information will be very helpful here. :wink:

Thanks! :)
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

noalternative

#3 Post by noalternative »

I installed dpup 3.5.2.10, and I am liking it. It recognized my dwl-630 rev.A with the ndiswrapper and gave me no problems. Trouble is I can't logon to the wpa2 network. So I'm going to do a search for this problem and if I can't find an answer I will probably start a new thread dealing with the card and my logon issues, though I may revive this one if I try to activate the edimax again, since the rtl8192cu driver provided, doesn't work on dpup.

noalternative

#4 Post by noalternative »

Ok I am renewing this thread. The edimax is much more powerful than the card and I would like to focus on this first. My current preference is to get it running in dpup. As I have said dpup has the correct driver but this driver is not working.
Last edited by noalternative on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

noalternative wrote:The edimax is much more powerful than the card and I would like to focus on this first. My current preference is to get it running is dpup. As I have said dpup has the correct driver but this driver is not working.
Hi...

We'll have to see as far as being able to continue to use dpup. With the Edimax plugged in, please reboot your system and then open a terminal and post the outputs of....

lsusb
Then...

lsmod
And then...

dmesg
Hopefully, this will help give more of an idea of what is going on. :)

Regards...

noalternative

#6 Post by noalternative »

Ok I am having trouble producing results at the moment because the cd drive can not write and I can't find any old floppys.

Anyway I found a driver and some instructions that worked for me a couple of years ago when I was trying to install this dongle on ubuntu.

See post 12 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1959075&page=2

The trouble is I can't compile it, and when I try it gives me a make command not found error. Is there a developer pet I must download?

ardvark

#7 Post by ardvark »

noalternative wrote:Ok I am having trouble producing results at the moment because the cd drive can not write and I can't find any old floppys.
Hi...

I'm not sure I understand how this would affect the information I requested. :wink:

EDIT: As another option, if your adapter does use the rt8188ce driver, you could also try installing a copy of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 here and then install the "8192cu" driver offered by tempestuous here.

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 00:10, edited 8 times in total.

noalternative

#8 Post by noalternative »

I need a place to save the files since I have no internet access. So I have to cut and paste to txt save the txt file somewhere and bring it to a pc with net access.

ardvark

#9 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Please see my edit above...

Regards...

ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

noalternative wrote:I need a place to save the files since I have no internet access. So I have to cut and paste to txt save the txt file somewhere and bring it to a pc with net access.
Ok, gotcha... :)

Regards...

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

ardvark wrote:you could also try installing a copy of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 here and then install the "r8192ce_pci" driver offered by tempestuous here. It should work for USB adapters, too.
Ah, no. As I explained in that link, the r8192ce_pci driver is for RTL8188CE PCI devices.
noalternative's Edimax 7811un requires the 8192cu driver ... which is also available in that thread ...
obviously compatible only with Puppy Lucid.

ardvark

#12 Post by ardvark »

tempestuous wrote:Ah, no. As I explained in that link, the r8192ce_pci driver is for RTL8188CE PCI devices.
noalternative's Edimax 7811un requires the 8192cu driver ... which is also available in that thread ...
obviously compatible only with Puppy Lucid.
Hi...

Thank you for the correction. I saw the word "USB" below it and didn't connect it with what you wrote below.

Regards...

ardvark

#13 Post by ardvark »

noalternative wrote:The trouble is I can't compile it, and when I try it gives me a make command not found error. Is there a developer pet I must download?
I happened to find this page, if it helps...

Regards...

noalternative

#14 Post by noalternative »

Boy Opera 12.16 runs better on linux than it does on WinXP!!!

Yeah I got this thing up and running and am posting on it now.

I didn't see the stuff about the other poster, so I got it running on dpup!

I needed to compile it with a fresh install of dpup wheezy, divx
,here

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWhee ... eezy35211/

and the kernel sources here

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_sourc ... .2-wheezy/

Evidently, once you have a compile error, it will continue to make that error even when you install all the necessary dependencies, sources and development software!

Anyway thanks for all your efforts even though I wasn't very helpable! Now that I am online, hopefully things will get much better.

Is there a way to make a pet of the driver, for others using this device on wheezy?
Last edited by noalternative on Sat 29 Mar 2014, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

noalternative

#15 Post by noalternative »

I think there is some sort of spam filter that is blocking me when I try to make my links clickable with the url bbcode.

ardvark

#16 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

You're welcome, glad you got it working. :)

Regards...