How to install Grub?

Booting, installing, newbie
tropicalretriever

How to install Grub?

#1 Post by tropicalretriever »

I know I could find this somewhere in the forum, but I need some help. I seem to remember when I installed Slacko 5.6 that there were two options for installing grub, now there is only one "Grub for DOS". I do not have windows on my laptop and haven't used it in years. I really am stuck at this point and what I need is a step-by-step guide to installing Grub for Slacko 5.7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Their should also be an entry in the menu for Grub Legacy.
This allows for the old style install of the Grub bootloader.
At least that selection is there in Slacko 5.5.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Do not get hung up about the name Grub4dos Bootloader config.
This is still a version of Grub.
This is really a Puppified (is that a word?) version of the program.
It works very well with Puppy booting and also other Linux and Windows installs.
A lot of us use it.
Easy to update the boot menu by simply rerunning Grub4dos Bootloader config
It also keeps a backup of the previous menu.lst, to fall back to, if you have problems.
Try it. You may like it too. :D

The legacy Grub is getting a little old and has some issues.

From release notes for Slacko 5.7
There is an issue with "grub" where wireless keyboards/mice are not recognised at boot. In this case please try "grub4dos"
Grub4DosConfig is the Gru4Dos boot loader with GUI installer.
The name 'Grub4Dos' can be confusing but it is actually 'Grub NOT ONLY for Dos'. Grub4dos supports many file system: NTFS, VFAT, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4. ReiserFS is supported by v1.6.9 and later. Grub4dos is upper compatible with (legacy) grub, can do all the legacy grub can do.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

There is an issue with "grub" where wireless keyboards/mice are not recognised at boot. In this case please try "grub4dos"
Thats why I hang around here.... someone had such a problem with a lucid rebuild and some light may just have been shed on this...I never got to find out if I cured it cos feedback stopped but perhaps this could have been the unknown factor...how is another matter but we were both a little confused as his comment was that it should simply appear as a usb keyboard at boot.

To the op
yes the name is unfortunate.... grub4dos does all that grub does effectively with some nice convenience feature in relation to windows if needed but its perfectly at home with a linux only setup.

mike

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

In Slacko 5.7 there is a buglet with grub4dos in the menus.
If you look in Menu>System you should see grub legacy and grub4dos both together in their usual place, but there are several extra instances of grub4dos in various other places in the menu, so if you are seeing one of those you could be distracted and fooled into thinking that grub legacy is missing.

I suggest removing those extra grub4dos menu entries. To do this go to /usr/share/applications and find the Grub4DosConfig.desktop file. Right click it and open as text and edit the categories line so it just reads Categories=X-System-memory then save and close. Open a terminal and run fixmenus followed by jwm -reload and the extra menu entries should be gone.

It depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it, but in some cases a task such as upgrading from Slacko 5.6 to Slacko 5.7 may not need a re-installation of grub if it is already installed. You may just need to run the config utility or edit the menu.lst file.
Oscar in England