[SOLVED] mouse not detected

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
goofy

[SOLVED] mouse not detected

#1 Post by goofy »

As a matter of interest I downloaded Puppy (2.0 and 2.01) to have a look at its speed. In liveCD version Puppy cannot smell my mouse correctly. It is a USB mouse so in xorg I indicated it as a USB mouse, but not detected.
I tried to tweak xorg.conf by changing "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/input/mouse0" as I have it on my Gentoo but this gives a totally black screen.
So what next ?
Last edited by goofy on Mon 10 Jul 2006, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse

#2 Post by Jesse »

Hi goofy,

Heres a possible workaround for you:

When you boot off CD, wait till it brings up the first wizard question, then instead of answering it, press CTRL-ALT-F2 this will take you to a console where you can attempt to make sure that your mouse is working.
Login name is "root" with empty password.
type in usb-loading commands:

modprobe usbcore
modprobe ehci-hcd
modprobe ohci-hcd
modprobe uhci-hcd
modprobe usb-storage
modprobe usbhid

One of the *hci-hcd should get the power on for your mouse.
The last line there should get the name of your mouse printed out on the screen. If it is, then all is good, type "exit" and then go back to the wizard with CTRL-ALT-F1. If not you might want to have a poke around with "lsmod", "lspci" to see what you can find.

Once your system boots, put the lines that your system requires into the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to have them run automatically for future boots.

Jesse

goofy

#3 Post by goofy »

Jesse,

Thanks you brought the right bone. I was missing the root password and 'modprobe usbcore, ehci-hcd etc' did the job. And yes Puppy is damn fast on my old computer (with 384 MB ram) . I am going to install it.

Jesse

#4 Post by Jesse »

Coolies, yes once you get over the initial hurdle(s), Puppy is very nice :D

Jesse

WhoDo

Thank you!

#5 Post by WhoDo »

Jesse wrote: Heres a possible workaround for you:

When you boot off CD, wait till it brings up the first wizard question, then instead of answering it, press CTRL-ALT-F2 this will take you to a console where you can attempt to make sure that your mouse is working.
Login name is "root" with empty password.
type in usb-loading commands:

modprobe usbcore
modprobe ehci-hcd
modprobe ohci-hcd
modprobe uhci-hcd
modprobe usb-storage
modprobe usbhid

One of the *hci-hcd should get the power on for your mouse.
The last line there should get the name of your mouse printed out on the screen. If it is, then all is good, type "exit" and then go back to the wizard with CTRL-ALT-F1. If not you might want to have a poke around with "lsmod", "lspci" to see what you can find.

Once your system boots, put the lines that your system requires into the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to have them run automatically for future boots.

Jesse
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, even though you originally gave it to Goofy. Thanks to you and this forum I have now been able to resolve the USB mouse problem that once made my Puppy less than popular - until now! Thanks again. 8)