Installed Slacko Lx over Precise and everything works now!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Blackfish

Installed Slacko Lx over Precise and everything works now!

#1 Post by Blackfish »

Ok, I got the CD burned and went to install the new Slacko Lx Pup to my Dell Latitude D531.

I booted from the hard drive, from Precise Puppy 5.7.1. I pushed the CD into the player and clicked it open. I clicked the SFS icon and it when it opened up it asked me if I wanted to install. I started the install.

At that, the installation just took on a life of its own and it ran for a while. I could not tell what was happening. After a few minutes, it told me the installation was complete and that I needed to reboot to see the changes.

Huh?

I rebooted and the computer started up again. The desktop and almost everything else looks just like Precise Puppy 5.7.1, but all this stuff is added on now! Mozilla Firefox is on the menu along with the old Sea Monkey, an internet telephone is added, etc... you get the idea... a bunch of new stuff is in there. WOW!

The most amazing thing of all is that my wifi works from the hard drive now! It never did before! The only way the wifi worked before was from the USB stick, not from the hard drive and not from the CD. Works like a charm now, from the CD or from the hard drive! Amazing! I haven't made a USB stick of the new Pup yet to test that out, but I'm sure that will be fine, too.

Can anyone tell me what's happened here? I mean, I'm certainly not complaining, but I am a bit baffled.

This is really great! I could not be happier!

Keef

#2 Post by Keef »

Well with what you have described, you have mounted the iso, then clicked on the SFS and installed it. A strange way to go about installing a new Puppy, but what you have done is installed the SFS contents to your running system. Nothing magic about that, except the fact it hasn't crashed yet!

Blackfish

#3 Post by Blackfish »

Well, that doesn't sound promising. Doesn't matter if it crashes. There isn't anything on the hard drive I need to keep. So everything's still cool.

How do I wipe the drive then and do a full install?

How do I make a bootable USB stick? Are there instructions for all that somewhere?

PFan

#4 Post by PFan »

Hi Blackfish.
If you boot from the cd, then click the "Install" icon, you should get a choice to run the puppy universal installer. You can chose the installation destination and it will make a usb drive bootable, or remove a previous hard drive installation when doing the new installation.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

The main area where you could run into trouble is that if the kernel is a different version between the two distributions of Puppy, you may experience driver problems and other problems that are related to an application or support file being compiled for a specific kernel.

I have thought of trying something similar with the Blue version of Puppy that is based on Quirky.
I would want to find a version of Puppy that uses the same kernel as Blue to try out the experiment and possibly end up with a version that would run in Zram and be installable using Puppy's install menu.

Blackfish

#6 Post by Blackfish »

i figured it all out and wiped out the mixed install of Precise and LxPup on the hard drive. Installed LxPup on this machine, but it does not work. Works fine on the Toshiba however. I will reinstall Precise 5.7.1 on this machine until I find a more suitable minimal Linux distro for this particular machine.

Neither version is capable of connecting to the Internet via the hard drive on this machine. They connect only through USB stick or CD.