Some 109CE config questions (menu,background,etc)

Using applications, configuring, problems
daftdog

Some 109CE config questions (menu,background,etc)

#1 Post by daftdog »

I have a few requests. Maybe they have already been answered so if I have repeated something please point me to the relevant post. I am using 109CE with jwm.

1: Is it possible when using gtkfind to set it up so that after entering a search string you can hit the 'Enter(Return)' key to run the search instead of having to click the 'Find' button with the mouse.

2: How can I set up my profile so I can automatically put a signature on all my posts . The only thing on my profile about signatures is 'Always attach my signature:Yes/No' but I can't see where to actually insert the signature itself. Do I create a file somewhere?

3:After trying all ideas in the forum and the 109 service pack I still cannot get a background image to stay after reboot. Can anyone help please?

4: Is it possible to set up the right-click menus on the desktop so that when the mouse-pointer is close to the right side of the screen the menus don't overlap each other. For example; I am typing this in Leafpad and when I right-click on the right of the page near the edge, the menu comes up on the left of the mouse-pointer and further menus come up to the left without overlapping the first menu.

5:I want to put xnetload into the tray (as a Dock applet?). I've tried various ideas but none have worked so far. Any ideas?

daftdog

#2 Post by daftdog »

This OS is amazing! Just plugged in an older digital camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-P8) and it was recognized straight away; not only that but I could delete, move, look at pics, movies, etc. Could even delete a folder on the camera that the camera itself would not delete! Previously always had to find a computer with that other OS on it to download my pics.

Re my above post: the silence is deafening...
Are my questions too hard ...or too simple? I may be daft but I have really tried to find answers to these questions.

I really would like to know how to have a signature automatically attached to my posts.

As for docking xnetload in the tray, all sorts of things happen. The tray makes a space for xnetload but xnetload starts on the desktop; the tray makes a space for xnetload but the app doesn't start; xnetload starts in the tray but is so cluttered with buttons etc it is unuseable. I have tried all the options for removing the extra lines like -novalues, -nointerface, etc all to no avail. I would just like to show my download activity this way rather than with Blinky. Has anyone managed to do this?

The other questions are not such a big deal but it would be nice to have some ideas on the above.
(Am going away for about nine days but will look forward to returning home and playing with the puppy again.)

fluxit

#3 Post by fluxit »

1: Is it possible when using gtkfind to set it up so that after entering a search string you can hit the 'Enter(Return)' key to run the search instead of having to click the 'Find' button with the mouse.
Not with the included binary, AFAICT. It would need to be altered and recompiled. I retrieved the source and looked into this a bit, with no success so far.

3:After trying all ideas in the forum and the 109 service pack I still cannot get a background image to stay after reboot. Can anyone help please?
We need more detail for this one. Are you using JWM as your window manager, or another? What method are you using to set the bg image? Is this the LiveCD or a harddisk install?
I'm curious about these also. I tried to do your number 5 in the past myself without success. Maybe a different version of xnetload is required? Your number 4 is window manager dependent(JWM I assume.) I use fluxbox here, and don't see this issue. I don't know enough about JWM to say if it can be configured to correct this or not.

--Lee

daftdog

#4 Post by daftdog »

Thanx for your reply.

The gtkfind thing is a bit of a pain. It seems to me that as you are using the keyboard to type in your search string that it makes sense to just hit 'Enter' to start the search (as you can with many of the search windows on the net).

As to the background image; it works perfectly on my daughters computer but not with mine. I am using jwm on a harddisk install. I have tried every method I could find to set the background image.

Same with the menu overlap thing. I have been trying out the puppy but am soon going to put a clean install on my computer and will play with the other window managers to see what they are like. (I used fluxbox when I tried out DSL.)

And re the signature; I guess I will have to continue to cut and paste on every post!

Once again thanx for your reply.

eMeRy

#5 Post by eMeRy »

No.2 issue:
Strange, in Profile Information section I see the Signature box. I could type any text in it :?

Maybe does it depend on the browser? (I use Mozilla 1.8b1.5 from puppy 1.08)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

if you have javascript disabled, it might prevent some parts of the forum from working properly

daftdog

#7 Post by daftdog »

Strange; just read these replies , went to my profile and there was the signature window! Hasn't shown up before.
I had javascript enabled (except for 'Hide status bar' and 'Change status bar text' under Advanced Settings).
I have found a few things don't work under Firefox. Eg I can't register at Puppylinux.org. It tells me the registration has gone thru but I dont get a confirmation email and puppian says there is no record on his database of me trying to register.
Also cant get my webmail to work on my isp. The login window comes up but after trying to login the window keeps coming up with 'invalid login details'.
These must be Firefox problems.
Thanx for your help guys.
"We are monkeys with money and guns." Tom Waits