Save file doesn't save the wireless wep key

Booting, installing, newbie
motorcity

Save file doesn't save the wireless wep key

#1 Post by motorcity »

I've been working on this for at least a week or so now, assuming there's something simple I'm just missing. But whether I save to the harddrive (as in boot from a non-writable disk and then save a 2fs on the hard drive), or save to the same dvd disk I'm booting from (there it saves a folder named by datetime), but more often than not have to re-enter the stupid (26 character) wep key.
I've searched and found others with this same issue but those threads are from 2007 and I don't find the files or folders mentioned presumably because that was a long time ago in puppy years.
Here's the deal; I'm trying to run wireless at home and at work. In one location (work) the wireless is the only one available and it has no wep key or password required, wide open. Puppy is fine with that. But at home, there's more than a dozen other wireless signals that are all secured like ours with a key required to use it, and it's rare that I don't have to run Simple Network Setup and re-enter the stupid key.
So, any thoughts or suggestions?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Which version of Puppy?
Frugal or Full.
You are always going to have to chose a profile as the two places use different set up.
Use the OLD Network set up and set up the two profiles.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

motorcity

#3 Post by motorcity »

I'm booting to an image on a non-writeable cd has puppy lupu 528-004
I made various save files to a linux partition from there. Never sure what the automatic save was actually saving.
The new try is booting to puppy lupu 528-005 on a dvd disc and saving to that disc. Again, I'm not sure what exactly is being saved when it shuts down.
I'm currently running puppy 528 full hard drive install on a couple of other computers; one of those is the cash register computer that I still haven't made the backups that I'd like to have.