"Not enough memory" opening big folders in Office (Wine)

Booting, installing, newbie
brianh

"Not enough memory" opening big folders in Office (Wine)

#1 Post by brianh »

I have a Grub dual boot Puppy/XP setup on a 1GB Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop.
I installed Wine then MS Office 2000, which works but when I browse to my NAS drive (mapped as D: in Wine) and try to open a large directory from within Word or Excel, it says not enough memory; can I allocate more or can I associate .doc, .xls. txt files with Word/Excel instead of the default Puppy bundled apps? I don’t want to learn yet more app interfaces.
Thanks for any help.
Brian
Last edited by brianh on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Allocate drive space OUTSIDE the Puppy space.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

brianh

Problem Navigating large directories in Office (Wine)

#3 Post by brianh »

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Allocate drive space OUTSIDE the Puppy space". My problem is I can't navigAte into a large directory (ie one with lots of files in it) from within MS Word or Excel which are installed under Wine. I have space on my XP FAT32 partition which is outside the Puppy ext2 partition but how would that help?
Brian

Puppus Dogfellow

#4 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

how big is that d drive? is it real or a virtual part of the puppy savefile? if it's the latter or simply too small to function, you may want to reinstall wine to a different location or use shinobar's portable version. both methods allow you to place the wine folders pretty much anywhere, i think (personally, i never install wine to the save file).

hth

version2013

wineprefix?

#5 Post by version2013 »

Would using a 'wineprefix', outside of the savefile, work in this situation?

Can I store the virtual Windows installation somewhere other than ~/.wine?

example terminal commands:

# WINEPREFIX=/path/to/new/prefix/outside/of/savefile winecfg
# WINEPREFIX=/path/to/new/prefix/outside/of/savefile wine application_installer.exe
(possibly put the following in a script)
# cd "/path/to/new/prefix/outside/of/savefile/drive_c/Program Files/application/"
# WINEPREFIX=/path/to/new/prefix/outside/of/savefile wine launcher.exe"

brianh

NAS Drive and Puppy Save File

#6 Post by brianh »

In reply to Puppus Dogfellow, my Wine D: drive is mapped to a 500GB NAS drive so it's a real physical SAMBA drive mapped with Pnethood, not part of the puppy save file. Wine itself is installed to the Puppy save file by the standard pet Installer. Why would simply looking at a big directory require more memory than Wine has available, and why is the puppy save file the limiting factor?

version2013

#7 Post by version2013 »

Does this possibly help?
4.3.2. Network Shares

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: NAS Drive and Puppy Save File

#8 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

brianh wrote:In reply to Puppus Dogfellow, my Wine D: drive is mapped to a 500GB NAS drive so it's a real physical SAMBA drive mapped with Pnethood, not part of the puppy save file. Wine itself is installed to the Puppy save file by the standard pet Installer. Why would simply looking at a big directory require more memory than Wine has available, and why is the puppy save file the limiting factor?
it may not be--how much space do you have in the save file?

as to why, i'm a noob myself, but it seems many of these processes need a place to expand things, move things, build things--they need enough working space and if they calculate a problem down the line, they balk (or crash/hang). you look at the directory, the engine sifting through the contents processes from within the crowded save...and it can't. something like that (pending replies from the more knowledgeable).

version2013

#9 Post by version2013 »

Interesting information about Excel memory
http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

Jim1911

#10 Post by Jim1911 »

One way to make sure that Wine applications have enough space is to move the hidden file root/.wine from it's location in root to another drive with plenty of space and then link it back to the root location.

For example:

1. Find the hidden file root/.wine and copy it over to a drive that has plenty of space ie: /mnt/home. Then delete the original root/.wine file.

2. Next, using rox locate the file /mnt/home/.wine and create a relative link to /root/.wine. This is accomplished by opening both /root and /mnt/home using Rox, then drag /mnt/home/.wine over to /root and select Link (Relative). This symbolic link back to the file /mnt/home/.wine will allow your Windows programs to find their files.

3. Usually /mnt/home is a good drive to use because that is where you installed the pup and it is automatically mounted when the pup is booted. Otherwise, you will need to mount the drive that you move the .wine file to so that the file may be found.

brianh

Can't install MS Office in Wine/Full Puppy

#11 Post by brianh »

Thanks for the idea for increasing the Wine space, I'll try it but I've now changed to a Full install of Puppy Lucid 528 and tried again to install Office 2000 under Wine - first to the sda1 (FAT32 Windows) partition mapped as D: then when that failed, to sda2 (ext2 Puppy) mapped as C: both fail with an unexplained error, but oddly the installer says it needs 8GB of disc space whereas the same install under XP takes under 200MB! Even when I uncheck all the items to install it still says it needs 4GB. As I explained above, I installed Office 2000 OK under Frugal Puppy using a .2fs file that was never bigger than 1GB and it worked (except for the above error browsing big directories); any idea what's going on?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Yeah all sounds like crap to me (technical term)...i did an install of office 2000 to wine for someone and yes it took up the same space as in XP. Biggest hurdle was base...best avoid if you don't need it.

It may show the wrong size / space needs but the actual should be the same as in windows.

This of course assumes there is that 200MBish of room available in the filesystem arrangement you have.

Wine might have tripled in size since i did my test but I cant see it doing anything weird with regard to this unless rubbish like the gecko browser is taking all the profile space.

mike

brianh

MS Office vs Wine: Version Issue?

#13 Post by brianh »

De-installed Wine 1.3.13-Lucid52.pet & installed Wine 1.1.43-Lucid.pet; Office now installs in ext2 sda2 (had to un-mount FAT32 sda1 else it said there was a pre release version installed) but Word still won't open a big directory. Also after a reboot the Program Files/Office folder was no longer visible; re-installed Office which claimed to have succeeded; the folder reappeared but then Excel and Word wouldn’t run.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Wine is a constant work in progress, so it is not perfect.
Microsoft does not want Wine to work, so they do not help any.
Maybe something here will help you:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=31
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=5124
Any reason you do not want to try using LibreOffice or OpenOffice?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)