Warning-please do not follow my brilliant example

Using applications, configuring, problems
fitzhugh

Warning-please do not follow my brilliant example

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

This is for anyone, but those of you playing with barebones may wish to take note in particular.

Simply put, currently puppy allows you to be stupid and pay the price. Barry said he will fix this, but for now:

I booted into ram so I could create detailed instructions for new users installing stuff. Realized I had to go back to check something, rebooted, and without even noticing, hit return when asked about saving pup_save.3fs. What happened? Just what I told puppy should happen by hitting return: Yes, save that file. Right over my highly configured only copy that I'd just finished tweaking to, well, not perfection, but to a state I really like. I had one more thing I wanted to do, then I was going to grab a backup. Should not have waited.

So, the super easy mindless fix for users (as in "that @#$(*& USER thought cd tray was cup holder...") like me: I've renamed pup_save.3fs as pup_save9.3fs. That way it will just add one, rather than replacing what I have next time I, I mean IF I do it again.

What I'd most like to see is have it refuse to overwrite, not just ask if it really should - or force you to type 'yes' or 'overwrite' - this would only be when you've booted in ram but other pup_save*.3fs files exist. Perhaps it could move the old one to pup_save_previous.3fs, or make the new one pup_save_new, or just use numbers, but numbers might already be taken. I believe it doesn't care how many characters there are, can be more than just 1-9 or nothing, between pup_save and .3fs, but I could be remembering wrong.
I'd also like to be able to configure the multiple pup_save just like grub, in the sense of having config setup someplace:

default pup_save9.3fs
timeout 10
fallback ram

meaning it would wait for you to select which you want to use for 10 seconds (timeout); if no choice is made choose pup_save9.3fs (or whatever you put for default), and if that fails for some reason (like the file is not there) go to whatever is listed in fallback, either a pup_save*.3fs or ram, though it might be best if it just asked you then.

Now I have to leave puppy until next weekend :shock: Good reason: vacation, but for once I'm going to miss my computer!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

oh boy, this is *really* time for some vacation ;)
Wish you a nice week, say a warm hello to these things... how are they called... that scream so loud in the morning when you live at the countryside and try to go asleep. Ah, remember: birds or so ;)

ok, time to go asleep...

Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

May I point out that multisession Puppy never overwrites anything that's on the disk? :P
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

fitzhugh

#4 Post by fitzhugh »

MU wrote:oh boy, this is *really* time for some vacation ;)
Wish you a nice week, say a warm hello to these things... how are they called... that scream so loud in the morning when you live at the countryside and try to go asleep. Ah, remember: birds or so ;)
Warm hello? would a flame thrower have counted? They were just as you said.
And here I was thinking I was escaping those loud little flying monsters.... the loudest feathered demon took to living in the bush outside my bedroom SQUAAAACK......... SQUAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! every morning starting around 4am, long before light. NO WAY can that volume come from that tiny body! Camping it was a whole flock of something, with a terrible grating graaaack graaaack graaaaaaack all morning... look up in the tree, fantasizing about just chopping it down, and there are maybe 40 or 50 of them screaming away. Didn't come close to the volume of that one tiny monster!

Oh, and that cruel, bright hot orange yellow thing kept coming back and burning me, even followed me around all day just to torch my untannable skin... what's it called? Oh yeah. The sun.

Had a great time. Abi, my wolfhound, just loved the two great danes we went with. Watching them run full tilt on the beach, chasing each other through the breakers... nothing has made me as happy in years as watching Abi have such fun :)

As for multisession... I simply can't convince myself to go that way since I was just given a new computer with a 60G HDD, 3 X what I had before. To instead stick it all on a 700 M disk (don't have dvd burner) seems such a waste of hard drive space! Not logical, but I seldom am.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Hey, Fitz, I am proud to announce that I managed to do the same thing! :oops:

Wanted a small pupfile to test something and forgot to rename the main one... I compiled over fifty packages to that file! I guess now I'll hae to start making dotpups of everything.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind