New installation woes with P2.01

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sage

New installation woes with P2.01

#1 Post by Sage »

Everything was going so well with previous versions!
Universal installer can exit ('DONE') without copying files after declining option for boot FD, when VFAT or, sometimes irreproducibly, ext2 partition present.
GRUB loader doesn't offer it's services automatically. When manually installed, get ERROR 15.
Bog std HW - nothing suspect there. Observed all the usual expedients.
These effects not present previously. What's going on?
Temporary fix is to install previous version and overwrite with update.

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

Hey Sage, this might not be the proper place to post this, but with your demand for tiny iso's you might appreciate this (defunct, it seems) distro:
http://womp.sourceforge.net/
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Many thanks! Looks interesting.
Update: d/l the 13Mb minimal pkg and burnt the .iso. So far, it doesn't boot! But it seems to know what it is.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

This new installer continues to give much grief on a whole range of HW. Is it irrepairably broken? Will it be fixed in 2.02? The old one in series 1.0.x sure was tricky but it could be persuaded to work if one followed the recipe carefully. This new one doesn't do that and it isn't even clear what the ground rules are!

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Posted some ideas on Barry's news blog about the Installer whilst John's site was down again this morning:
http://www.puppyos.net/blog/comments.ph ... 711-082504
Seems that rather more manipulation in CLI is required than was the case with the series 1 version. Big problem for new converts.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Finally got WOMP running - bad burns onto old 650Mb CD-RWs!
Interesting, but it is only (no disrespect for that) a media player - Will's Own Media Player, indeed.Personally, don't do much of that, but it could be invaluable for those that do.

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Difficult to believe I'm the only one experiencing problems with the new installer? Will the silent majority please stand up and be counted?

Trobin

#8 Post by Trobin »

Did you do a type 1 or a type 2 install.

I did a type 2 install to an ext2 partition and evrything worked as expected. Files were copied over, and Grub's defaults were correct.

I see Barry has released a second (bugfixed) version of 2.01. That might be the ticket to solve your problems.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Only use type 2 - must've done hundreds now?
v2.01 - I said so in one of the parallel threads.
These are only newly introduced issues that concern me.
Suggested workaround and route to a fix was suggested on BK's blog (vide supra), but I am SW incapable, myself, and probably those that are feel this is relatively trivial compared to their massive efforts on more important aspects?