What's to replace opera-12.1x ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Colonel Panic

#76 Post by Colonel Panic »

For those who haven't browsed the whole thread, I can recommend Vivaldi which I've used myself (and still do occasionally).

It was developed by a group of former Opera 12 developers who were reportedly unhappy with the direction Opera was moving in and in particular with the change of layout engine (from Presto to Blink) which removed a number of Opera 12's most popular features. Here's a link to it;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_(web_browser)
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 28 Dec 2019, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

fiskrond

#77 Post by fiskrond »

Coming from Opera 12.18....

get Vivaldi.... it's from the same people.
Go through the settings/defaults and set as you choose.
Make DuckDuckGo default...

Add the following:
- Nano Adblocker
- Nano Defender
- I don't care about cookies
- Disable HTML5 Autoplay (Reloaded)

..aaaand it's all good from there! :-)

Colonel Panic

#78 Post by Colonel Panic »

fiskrond wrote:Coming from Opera 12.18....

get Vivaldi.... it's from the same people.
Go through the settings/defaults and set as you choose.
Make DuckDuckGo default...

Add the following:
- Nano Adblocker
- Nano Defender
- I don't care about cookies
- Disable HTML5 Autoplay (Reloaded)

..aaaand it's all good from there! :-)
Thanks! I came across this extension, which seems to work with both flash and HTML5;

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nfo-dialog
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#79 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update: I've now installed all three extensions suggested by fiskrond above. Both the Nano extensions (Adblocker and Defender) are fine and work with no reservations, but the third one, which disables HTML5 Autoplay, comes with a warning from its developer that it is no longer being maintained.

I've had no problems with it so far but other people have reported problems with it. I wish there were another, easy way of achieving the same object.

mikeslr

opera 12.16 vs. palemoon-27.9.4-p4-sse-glibc219tweak

#80 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Thought this the best place to post this info as it is possible that those looking for a web-browser that uses as little RAM as opera-12.1x might also have a computer so old that it lacks the sse2 instruction set.
The first thing to note is that neither of these browsers should be used to access your bank or any other financial institution. You will probably be denied access. But if you aren't, the next thing you should do is change your bank or credit provider. It's security is about 10 years out-of-date.
I ran some tests on my quad-core with 8 Gbs of RAM. Note in particular that this was a Quad-core. Having previously compared its RAM usage to that of a Dual-core, the impression I have is that the more powerful the CPU(s), the less RAM will be needed to accomplish the same task. So expect results on your computer to vary accordingly.
Opera uses substantially less RAM than palemoon-sse. With only opera and PupSysInfo open, 124 Mbs of RAM was in use: substiute palemoon and 241 Mbs of RAM was needed. With Youtube -- 320 Mbs.
Youtube would not play in opera. Although opera 12.16's "get extensions" takes you to a page which offers extensions that enable the viewing of Youtube, turning off html5, or forcing the use of flash-player-plugin [the latest is installed on my system] none of these extensions could be installed directly; and trying to follow links to publisher's cites receive an "access denied" response.

We all become attached to our "toys", no matter how old. Perhaps that's why my State has laws prohibiting driving too slow on highways. :roll:

8Geee

#81 Post by 8Geee »

For security today, at least Seamonkey 2.25 or Firefox 27. Older computers can't handle the newest browsers well (slowwwww). AFAIK both the above work well on an Atom CPU.
The major problem is... if the extensions are not built in, you can't get them anymore.

I have a root version of Firefox27with some extensions builtin.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."