Rediscovering Puppy Linux

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rmcellig

Rediscovering Puppy Linux

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Over the past months, I have had a love/hate relationship with Puppy, all the while trying other distros for "THE ONE". I decided to give Puppy Linux 5.2.8 another try. The only difference is that now I am more knowledgeable about Linux than when I tried Puppy months ago.

One of my gripes was how crazy it was to set up Samba to my liking in Puppy. Some other distros I tried were easy when it came to Samba. A no brainer. Then, yesterday, I revisted the excellent instructions on this forum for setting up samba/yassm. This time 'round, it all fell into place. Amazingly straight forward, flexible and simple.

My appreciation of ROX is now much more realized than before. This is a great simple and very functional wm. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the other distros out there but for me, the bottom line is that it does what I need.

Applications were always a sore point with me when it came to this version of Puppy. Now I know how to use this forum to find a pet that will work for me.

I am currently running Puppy on my Dell 3000 desktop from CD with a save file on the HD. Same goes with my aging HP laptop. I'm taking it one step at a time and this time I really want to make a go of it. Fingers crossed. :)

This is basically what I do. Aside from email and web surfing, Audacity is my main tool for my radio shows and audio editing.

My one and only holdout is finding a simple video editor that works. Basically what I need is something that will allow me to extract snippets of video from any kind of video format be it mkv, mov, avi, mp4. I know there is Avidemux but I have had problems with audio syncing and the repos seem to have an older version. Has anyone used Avidemux successfully? Is there anything similar that I can use. This has always been the one sore point preventing me from switching from my Mac to linux full time.

Nice to be back!!

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Have you had a look at OpenShot? http://www.openshot.org/ Based on FFMpeg - which supports a wide range of formats.

I'm new to each of Openshot, Audacity, Blender and Inkscape and spent the day yesterday toe dipping to learn some basics. By days end I'd created some 3D intro's, and got Openshot working to produce scrolling text and animated titles. http://youtu.be/4I2CSnuf56Q

Openshot seemed to import anything that I threw at it.

A couple of quirky things that stumped me for a while (as a new user).

1. Had to install 2.59 Blender in HOME directory for the animated titles to work. the 2.63 version I had installed didn't work with Openshot.

2. When creating a animated title (scrolling text), make sure you set inkscape document to automatically sized to object before saving/quit.

Blender is a steep learning curve, I'm still way down at the bottom level.

I'm running a Slacko 5.3.3t based DVD booted system - the ISO/associated PET's/SFS's that I've installed are cloud copied to https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Moose On The Loose

Re: Rediscovering Puppy Linux

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rmcellig wrote: My one and only holdout is finding a simple video editor that works. Basically what I need is something that will allow me to extract snippets of video from any kind of video format be it mkv, mov, avi, mp4. I know there is Avidemux but I have had problems with audio syncing and the repos seem to have an older version. Has anyone used Avidemux successfully?
I use avidmux from time to time. The issue with the sync on the sound has been an bother only on some videos. I am fairly sure that the problem happens because the audio rate and the video rate are at some weird ratio to each other. I haven't made many videos but I have found a few rules that seem to work.

If you are starting with a long video and cutting it up, before you start, take a clip from the very end and look at it. If there is a sync problem, either try to convert the video to a different form first or prepare for troubles with it.

I have made a "tour of this thing" video and a "here's how to do this" video. In both cases, I made sure to never show my face while the talking happened. The scene or the hands were seen so the alignment was not an issue. For these, the sync problem was not an issue.

The command line ffmpeg seems to do a different sync between sound and video so it often works when avidmux doesn't.

dk60902

Re: Rediscovering Puppy Linux

#4 Post by dk60902 »

rmcellig wrote:Over the past months, I have had a love/hate relationship with Puppy, all the while trying other distros for "THE ONE". I decided to give Puppy Linux 5.2.8 another try. The only difference is that now I am more knowledgeable about Linux than when I tried Puppy months ago.

One of my gripes was how crazy it was to set up Samba to my liking in Puppy. Some other distros I tried were easy when it came to Samba. A no brainer. Then, yesterday, I revisted the excellent instructions on this forum for setting up samba/yassm. This time 'round, it all fell into place. Amazingly straight forward, flexible and simple.

My appreciation of ROX is now much more realized than before. This is a great simple and very functional wm. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the other distros out there but for me, the bottom line is that it does what I need.

Applications were always a sore point with me when it came to this version of Puppy. Now I know how to use this forum to find a pet that will work for me.

I am currently running Puppy on my Dell 3000 desktop from CD with a save file on the HD. Same goes with my aging HP laptop. I'm taking it one step at a time and this time I really want to make a go of it. Fingers crossed. :)

This is basically what I do. Aside from email and web surfing, Audacity is my main tool for my radio shows and audio editing.

My one and only holdout is finding a simple video editor that works. Basically what I need is something that will allow me to extract snippets of video from any kind of video format be it mkv, mov, avi, mp4. I know there is Avidemux but I have had problems with audio syncing and the repos seem to have an older version. Has anyone used Avidemux successfully? Is there anything similar that I can use. This has always been the one sore point preventing me from switching from my Mac to linux full time.

Nice to be back!!
Please give me the link to the instructions on using Samba. One thing I like about Windows is the relative ease in sharing files across computers in the network.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

This is where I learned everything about using samba in Puppy Linux:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 23&t=60204

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

VLC is designed for stream editing, whether it be Audio or Video.

Videolan is another I've used.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

syncing problems are usually becuase of the crappy use of variable bitrate sound which should be abolished :D it save little and messes up movies.

I use avidemux all the time...2.4 version...have not have this problem more recently...movies must be getting better...crappy div3 were the worst for this.

Fo really shity stuff you could try virtualdubmod in wine...disable direct x rendering

mike

edit...actually I have found mencoder to be good with awkward stuff handling...if it can play it it can convert it....but all are variations on an ffmpeg theme really