FbBox-5.0 - Released 23 Sept 2017

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
radky

#106 Post by radky »

Hi augras,

Thanks for testing the new FbBox-5.0.

augras wrote:
PupClockset have the same problem that i told you few months ago : when the clock display is changed nothing in the taskbar ; if you remember it's a problem in the french langpack, like in the spanish one ; i took the .mo that you have made at this time and it works fine ; but it's a .mo for the 2.5 version and it seems that some translations lake or are different.
I'm not proficient with momanger or the French language pack, but maybe I can update the current French .mo to support PupClockset-2.6.

augras wrote:
maybe you remember also that the marges in obconf are erased by fbpanel : you told me that it will works in the next FbBox, but it doesn' work.
There are three (optional) panels for FbBox. By default, code in FbBox allows fbpanel to control all desktop margins, overriding openbox control. If you want openbox to control all desktop margins, you must disable fbpanel control of desktop margins by changing the settings for each of the three optional panels on the desktop:

1 - Main panel (bottom panel) -> go to Fbpanel Configuration Manager -> Main tab -> Properties tab -> Reserve space for panel (set to false)
2 - Accessory panel (top panel) -> go to Fbpanel Launchbar Manager -> Main tab -> Properties tab -> Reserve space for panel (set to false)
3 - SysInfoBar panel (right panel) -> go to Fbpanel SysInfoBar Manager -> Main tab -> Properties tab -> Reserve space for panel (set to false)

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks again for your comments. As time permits, I will revisit the French .mo for PupClockset-2.6.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

augras

#107 Post by augras »

Hi Radky,
It works fine : i can do exactly what i want.
Thank you very much.
Philippe

Terry H

#108 Post by Terry H »

Just been trying the FbBox 5.0 for the last couple of days and mainly working very well on a couple of xenial64 frugal installs.

I appear to have 2 issues:
1 - The weather component of the SysInfoBar does not appear to be displayed. When I do a search in the SysInfoBar Preferences > Plugins > Weather, it locates the location I want and a popup is displayed, but this information is not included as part of the SysInfoBar display after Applying changes. There doesn't appear any way for it to be displayed other than in selecting preferences.

2 - in the Launchbar Manager > Main> Properties, when selecting to 'Hide panel off screen as true, the panel is hidden correctly, however the space for the panel is reserved regardless of the 'Reserve space for panel' setting being True or False. Maximizing a window does not cover the full screen, only the same space as when the panel is displayed. This function was OK in Fbbox 4.0.

radky

#109 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:Just been trying the FbBox 5.0 for the last couple of days and mainly working very well on a couple of xenial64 frugal installs.

I appear to have 2 issues:
1 - The weather component of the SysInfoBar does not appear to be displayed. When I do a search in the SysInfoBar Preferences > Plugins > Weather, it locates the location I want and a popup is displayed, but this information is not included as part of the SysInfoBar display after Applying changes. There doesn't appear any way for it to be displayed other than in selecting preferences.
1 - Make sure the Date checkbox and Weather checkbox are ticked.
2 - After you click Apply, go to the desktop and hover the mouse over the date displayed in the SysInfobar.
3 - The weather report is a tooltip of the Date widget (see image below).
4 - If you want additional system information displayed as tooltips for all text widgets, select 'true' for the 'Tootip stats' option in the SysInfoBar Manager.
2 - in the Launchbar Manager > Main> Properties, when selecting to 'Hide panel off screen as true, the panel is hidden correctly, however the space for the panel is reserved regardless of the 'Reserve space for panel' setting being True or False. Maximizing a window does not cover the full screen, only the same space as when the panel is displayed. This function was OK in Fbbox 4.0.
By default, code in FbBox grants fbpanel full control of all desktop margins, overriding openbox control. When you disable fbpanel control of a given screen margin (ex: upper margin if the launchbar is on top) that screen margin is then controlled by openbox. So, go to ObConf (lower-left button of the Fbpanel LaunchBar Manager) to load the Openbox Configuration Manager and then select the 'Margins' button. If your Launchbar is on top, you can use ObConf to set the top screen margin to your preference.

I hope this helps. Thank you Terry for testing FbBox-5.0. :)
Attachments
image-1.png
(31.41 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
image-2.png
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Terry H

#110 Post by Terry H »

Thanks radky for such a detailed explanation, both my issues functioning correctly now. Changed Openbox properties Top margin to '0'. Windows resize as expected now, seems I had forgotten this. The hovering the mouse, I just had to be a bit more patient. I had clicked the date, but just had to leave the mouse still for a second and it worked.

Just as a side note, I did a xenial64 build using wiak's script, which I included the FbBox 5.0 pet in the Pets2add folder. It worked well, FbBox is now built into the base xenial.sfs. Just had to run WM Switcher and FbBox working fine. Very pleased with the outcome.

So once again, thank you.

augras

#111 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
I would like the File Manager, Rox, in the openbox menu's (by left click) to open in a particular folder : i have made the change in /usr/bin/obmenu-filer file with the good folder and it works until i reboot.
Where must i do the change to get it always works ?
Thanks,
Philippe

mikeslr

rox opens at specified location

#112 Post by mikeslr »

Hi augras,

I've since abandoned this preferring rox's bookmarking functions. So I'm not going to test, and am not sure this is what you want. But,

opening /usr/share/applications/Rox-Filer-file-manager.desktop in a text editor and editing Exec=roxfiler /root (or whatever) to Exec=roxfiler /MY_LOCATION --MY_LOCATION requires that the path to folder be specified-- will cause Rox to alway open to that location.

I also used this alternative. Opened Rox in a text-editor and immediately Saved it under a different name such as Rox-at-MntHome. Edited that file's Exec to read:

Exec=roxfiler /mnt/home.

Optional: Give it a different icon (Icon=) and/or add it to Right-Click Menu.

mikesLr

radky

#113 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:Thanks radky for such a detailed explanation, both my issues functioning correctly now...

Just as a side note, I did a xenial64 build using wiak's script, which I included the FbBox 5.0 pet in the Pets2add folder. It worked well, FbBox is now built into the base xenial.sfs. Just had to run WM Switcher and FbBox working fine. Very pleased with the outcome.

So once again, thank you.
You are welcome Terry, and thanks for your report.

I have not yet included FbBox in a Woof-CE build, but I'm pleased your build was successful.

One quick question.

For a conventional pet installation of FbBox, a first-run configuration script is called on the inital switch from JWM to FbBox, but as currently implemented I'm not sure the script would execute in a Woof-CE installation. If it did not execute, you may notice a few missing wallpapers and some of the global themes may be in incomplete. Also, if the perl Escape.pm extension did not install, the 'Recent-files' module of PupMenu may not function correctly.

Thanks

radky

#114 Post by radky »

augras wrote:Hi radky,
I would like the File Manager, Rox, in the openbox menu's (by left click) to open in a particular folder : i have made the change in /usr/bin/obmenu-filer file with the good folder and it works until i reboot.
Where must i do the change to get it always works ?
Thanks,
Philippe
@mikeslr,

Thanks for your explanation, and helpful information about rox. However, if I understand correctly, augras is probably referring to the filemanager options for the first-order element of the openbox right-click menu.

@augras,

1 - Please go to /usr/bin/obmenu-preferences and edit the FILEMANAGER_ARRAY

2 - For example, if you want rox to open in /usr/bin, just append your command to line 22 like this:

Code: Select all

FILEMANAGER_ARRAY=("rox" "roxfiler" "emelfm2" "pcmanfm" "spacefm" "Thunar" "xfe" "defaultfilemanager" "rox /usr/bin")
3 - Return to the openbox right-click menu -> Configure -> Menu option -> choose your new rox command in the drop-down list of the File Manager combobox.

I hope this helps! :)

augras

#115 Post by augras »

Hi,
@mikeslr,
thanks for your answer. I already use what you say and it works fine.

But as radky said my question his for the right-click on the desktop in the openbox menu for the file manager : and his answer is the good one for it. It works fine now.

Thanks mikeslr ans radky.
Philippe

Terry H

#116 Post by Terry H »

radky wrote:One quick question.

For a conventional pet installation of FbBox, a first-run configuration script is called on the inital switch from JWM to FbBox, but as currently implemented I'm not sure the script would execute in a Woof-CE installation. If it did not execute, you may notice a few missing wallpapers and some of the global themes may be in incomplete. Also, if the perl Escape.pm extension did not install, the 'Recent-files' module of PupMenu may not function correctly.

Thanks
That was a slight oddity that I did notice during the build, the first run configuration popup appears during the build, I clicked OK and it continued with the build. I did wonder at the time whether it would have an impact, but it appears OK following installation.
I don't frequently use the Recent-files function, but I'll check if it appears to work and let you know.

Edit: Recent files does not work as you expected, the escape.pm is missing. The wallpapers seem OK, I have 22 wallpapers listed in Wallpaper Manager, of which 12 are FbBox. I am using one of them for my wallpaper at present.

Edit 2: I checked in PPM for 'escape', it showed 'libany-uri-perl_001-2_all.deb', I downloaded, then installed this package. Recent files now comes up OK, but doesn't appear to show any activity when checking. The script has the capacity to include missing packages, similar to how I included the FbBox pet, for which a package could be included.

augras

#117 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
I use each day your fbbox and it is very fine : thank you once again.
But i have a problem with the openbox menu, this one when you rignt click on the desktop, just only with the Applications menu : it is very long to display it. It is usually around 5 or 6 second, that is already very long, but after a day of work with the computeur i have counted yesterday 31 second !
I'm working this time to a very big puppy, adrive aroud 3Go, and a lot of entries in the menu.
No problem with fbpanel menu : 1 second to display the menu.
With openbox it seems the menu is rebuild each time !
Is there something to do ?
Thanks,
Philippe

radky

#118 Post by radky »

Hi augras,

Generally, dynamic generation of the openbox right-click menu is relatively fast but can be delayed when menu items are unusually numerous or when processor power is limited. Also, assigning icons to each menu item is a significant determinant of menu speed, so disabling icons may be helpful in your case.

Go to right-click menu -> Configure -> Menu options -> Menu Icons -> no

I hope this helps!

Thanks

augras

#119 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
you are right ! The icons are the key.
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day,
Philippe

01101001b

#120 Post by 01101001b »

In Fbpanel, you can increase the height of the taskbar, but how do you increase the height of an *item* in taskbar? It's possible to increase its width, yes, but I can't find a way to do the same with its height (and accordingly, items in my taskbar are shown shorter :? )

Any pointer? Thx!
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

Terry H

#121 Post by Terry H »

In the fbpanel Configuration Manager:

On the first panel Geometry the items at the bottom of the page under the Size Heading, allows you to alter panel Height and Icon Size. Increasing the Icon Size is aht you require.

01101001b

#122 Post by 01101001b »

Terry H wrote:In the fbpanel Configuration Manager:
[...] Increasing the Icon Size is aht you require.
Thanks! I appreciate your answer but those settings have no effect on the buttons (items) inside the taskbar.
Try it. First, open any program, a browser, let's say. Then increase the values you mentioned and you will see that everything goes bigger *but* the button (item) representing the browser (in this case) inside the taskbar.
Sorry, not sure if I'm making myself clear (my english is pitiful :roll: ).

Terry H

#123 Post by Terry H »

01101001b wrote:Thanks! I appreciate your answer but those settings have no effect on the buttons (items) inside the taskbar.

My apologies. When I posted earlier, i did a quick test and I thought the Taskbar items changed size also when the icons size was changed. Following your last post, I did further changes and as you say the items don't change as you require.

There doesn't appear to be a parameter in the Configuration Manager that will achieve what you require. The width of the Taskbar items can be altered, also Icons only can be displayed, but they remain the same height.

This probably needs radky to advise if what you request is at all possible.

Also, your English was great.

augras

#124 Post by augras »

Hi,
i just take a look and same thing for me.
I thought this parameter will be in the Taskbar item but nothing ! There is only a parameter for the width.
You/we need help from radky.
Philippe

radky

#125 Post by radky »

Hi 01101001b, Terry H, and augras,

Go to Fbpanel Configuration Manager -> Geometry -> Icon size

The Icon size option of fbpanel supports the MaxElemHeight parameter which determines the size of launcher icons and notification icons, but this option has no impact on the taskbar which simply displays minified icons of desktop windows.

However, fbpanel does support multiple rows of taskbar icons. For example, set panel height to 64px and icon size to 48px and you will see two rows of taskbar elements rather than one (see graphic below).

I hope this helps. :)
Attachments
image-1.png
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 929 times