FbBox-5.0 - Released 23 Sept 2017

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
radky

#76 Post by radky »

torm wrote:Must be the best OOTB desktop I've seen.. !

Sidenote:
where did I see size setting for launchbar icons? could be usable for non-transparent themes...
Go to Fbpanel Configuration Manager -> Main -> Geometry -> Size -> Icon size

For the accessory launchbar, this option provides adjustable padding between the panel margin and launcher icons.

For the main panel, this option impacts all icons including the menu button, launcher icons, minified window icons (tasklist), and notification icons. It does not alter the clock or pager (desktop switcher).

Thanks for downloading FbBox and for your kind comments.

The next release will feature several enhancements including an optional SysInfoBar (3rd panel) similar to conky.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

musher0

#77 Post by musher0 »

Hi, radky.

Once upon a time, you had a FbBoxlocales.pet available? ;)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 944#835085

Congratulations on preparing this outstanding package for Puppy.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

radky

#78 Post by radky »

musher0,

Limited localization files were available for an initial release of FbBox, but scripts have changed significantly since then and those loc files are no longer applicable. The next version (English only) is currently in beta testing and should be available soon.

The FbBox configuration files comprise thousands of code lines and there are multiple relatively complex GUIs, so internationalization would be no easy task.

Thanks for testing FbBox and for your cordial comments. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

augras

#79 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
I think your FbBox will be my new wm.
I'm still looking for how to resolve the margins problem.
This afternoon i try to put the menus in french. It was easy for the menu by right click on the desktop and the most part of the menu in the panel. But the bottom of this menu don't want to stay in french ! (Control Center, Search, run and Shutdown)
I change the names as i want in /root/.config/fbpane/default after the panel was stopped and restart the panel and it's ok. But after x or wm restart or reboot this part of the menu is again in english. It seems that the default file is automatically generate and that my changes are erase with a restart.
Were must i make my changes fo this part of the menu ?
Thanks,
Philippe

radky

#80 Post by radky »

Hi augras,

A French mo pack for FbBox should be possible. I'll send it to you for testing when finished. Please check your PM later today.

augras

#81 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
i'm in the starting-blocks !
Philippe

belham2

#82 Post by belham2 »

Hi Radky,

I just wanted to say, after 3 straight days of using FbBox in my dpup-stretch-700-DELUXE woof-Ce builds I am doing (on the Puppy Derivative forum), that I am taken aback. It is beautiful, simple, and stable. I am going to, in the next ISO I upload this week of my dpup-stretch builds, going to try to completely remove JWM and make your FbBox with Openbox the default DE. Those popups config menus are incredible....the time you must have into this really shows. No offense to JWM (which has served puppyland ably for a long time), but your FbBox blows JWM off the desktop. Great job :wink:

radky

#83 Post by radky »

Hi belham2,

Thanks for your kind comments. I've always enjoyed the fbpanel/openbox desktop in the popular Lucid Puppy, and FbBox is just an extension of that concept.

FbBox provides multiple configuration options and recently the fbpanel devs have simplified the creation of optional panel plugins. The SysInfoBar of FbBox-4.1 (coming soon) is based on this new functionality, providing baseline system information on the default interface plus additional information through popup tooltips.

Thanks again for testing FbBox. :)

Pelo

Sorry, when reading the topic, XFCE no good

#84 Post by Pelo »

"• The WM-Switcher utility mediates switching between the FbBox desktop environment and the standard JWM desktop. Switching to other desktop environments is not supported. "
ah... i change my mind. I intended with misfire X-Slacko. Ok
Test bench with Slegopen (HU Slacko 5.7). Reboot. Ok , excepted icons stil on desktop.. I read deeper the topic

radky

Re: Sorry, when reading the topic, XFCE no good

#85 Post by radky »

Pelo wrote:"• The WM-Switcher utility mediates switching between the FbBox desktop environment and the standard JWM desktop. Switching to other desktop environments is not supported. "
ah... i change my mind. I intended with misfire X-Slacko. Ok
Test bench with Slegopen (HU Slacko 5.7). Reboot. Ok , excepted icons stil on desktop.. I read deeper the topic
Hi Pelo,

Thanks for testing FbBox.

Based on your comments above, I'm not sure when you rebooted.

When installing FbBox, please do not reboot until the installation is complete. Rebooting too quickly will result in a partial installation and many options of FbBox will not function correctly.

Follow the steps below:

1 - Boot your standard Puppy to the JWM desktop
2 - Install the FbBox pet
3 - Immediately go to Puppy menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher
4 - Select the FbBox option
5 - Click the Restart-X button
6 - This will run important setup scripts before starting the FbBox desktop
7 - Installation of FbBox is now complete

davenull

#86 Post by davenull »

I'm liking Fbbox, thanks.
Can you point to how I might configure the right-click desktop menu? I'd like to just have a duplicate of the applications menu with no extras. I've tried editing the openbox configuration files that I could find, with no result. I may have a somewhat broken install.

radky

#87 Post by radky »

Hi davenull,

In FbBox the openbox right-click menu integrates with multiple external scripts, and changing that relationship may break the menu.

If you are interested in a specific menu configuration, please feel to contact me by PM and hopefully we can achieve your goal. :)

Semme

#88 Post by Semme »

Hello Radky,

I've got the distinct sense that Mr.Davenull here is suffering a conflict with the way your FbBox calls the "run-as-spot" script. I haven't looked closer but suspect a mediating or "baton-pass" script would allow his Palemoon to launch.
** (palemoon.bin:2057): ERROR **: I can't write to '/tmp/launchbar1/orbit-spot', ORB init failed
If you can determine my hunch is wrong, please, no worries.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

radky

#89 Post by radky »

Hi Semme and Davenull,

I do not use spot in Puppy so my comments are limited.

Using jamesbond's run-as-spot script, I tested palemoon as spot in Tahrpup-6.0.5 and the browser does not launch from the main fbpanel menu or when called from a panel launcher.

However, when I boot into Slacko-6.3.0, the mozilla firefox browser included in the distro launches correctly as spot in fbpanel, both from the main Puppy menu and from a panel launcher.

Possibly, launching the palemoon browser from fbpanel in Tahrpup may be an issue with permissions in the /opt directory where palemoon is installed.

radky

#90 Post by radky »

Hi Semme and Davenull,

In Tahrpup, launching palemoon as spot requires adding spot:spot permissions to palemoon files.

The following works for me when launching palemoon as spot from the Puppy menu in FbBox:

1 - Edit /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop to show the following: Exec=run-as-spot palemoon

2 - To set file permissions, run the following in a terminal (one time):

ln -sf /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -h spot:spot /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -R spot:spot /opt/palemoon

In the next release of FbBox (4.1) I will add support for launching spot apps from the fbpanel launchers.

Thanks

davenull

#91 Post by davenull »

radky,

The solution above didn't work by itself, but the original one in your PM to me with the extra lines creating the missing directories did.

The directories aren't persistent, but with the lines placed in a shell script at startup...

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /tmp/launchbar1 /tmp/launchbar2
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar1
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar2

...Pale Moon as spot is working great across reboots so far. I'll see if any further issues arise.

Thanks so much for your help!

radky

#92 Post by radky »

Hi davenull,

Thanks for confirming your success with palemoon as spot in FbBox.

To clarify, the following code sets correct permissions for palemoon in Tahrpup, and enables launching palemoon as spot from the Puppy menu in FbBox.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -h spot:spot /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -R spot:spot /opt/palemoon
The following code enables launching palemoon as spot from fbpanel launchers, and must be set manually for FbBox-4.0. However, in the next release (FbBox-4.1) this code will be generated automatically, with no need for additional manual scripting.

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /tmp/launchbar1 /tmp/launchbar2
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar1
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar2
Thanks again for your comments.

Pelo

FbBox 2.0 for Thar as default in PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

#93 Post by Pelo »

FbBox 2.0 for Thar as default in PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3. No Difference with version 4.0 ? If i download version 4 above version 2.0, what is happening.. Feed back soon.
Attachments
fbbox.jpg
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

radky

#94 Post by radky »

Removed
Last edited by radky on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i will feed back in french

#95 Post by Pelo »

i will feed back in french in this topic by Musher0 It's much easier to explain thing in our native language. Musher0 is bi-lingual,