The Legacy OS 2.1 LTS Community Project

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#31 Post by john biles »

Hello NotNewAnymore,
Sadly Skype 4 won't work in Legacy OS 2.1 the required newer dependencies aren't compatible. Only Version 1 works or did.
I knew sooner or later protocols in Skype would change and this may be the reason you can't connect, sorry!
Thanks
John
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Colonel Panic

#32 Post by Colonel Panic »

john biles wrote:Hello NotNewAnymore,
Sadly Skype 4 won't work in Legacy OS 2.1 the required newer dependencies aren't compatible. Only Version 1 works or did.
I knew sooner or later protocols in Skype would change and this may be the reason you can't connect, sorry!
Thanks
John
Hi John,

You're right about Skype, and it is a shame. Here's an article outlining the changes which have taken place;

http://lowendmac.com/2014/skype-no-long ... r-systems/
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Colonel Panic,
Thanks for the link. Microsoft is dumb because they've even dropped support for Windows XP and Windows 7 phone. This only alienates their own users driving them to Apple and Google's Voip type applications.
They're acting as if Skype is the only voip app available and in doing so are trying to force Windows users to buy new computers and phones. Yes they will but it might not be the ones Microsoft wants them to buy.

cthisbear

#34 Post by cthisbear »

John.

Registery hack for XP to still install updates.

Page 9 second post of my Fix Windows.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120

Chris.

john biles

#35 Post by john biles »

Hello cthisbear,
An interesting post on Windows. Basically under all the crap lives a system that hasn't changed much between XP and 8 It makes sense when you see a Windows program that says it compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8. There's not to many Linux Apps from 2001 that still run on current Distro's because Linux is ever evolving. Most long term Linux users have watched as Linux just keeps getting better and better with each new release. Windows just hasn't evolved as quickly maybe because any changes Microsoft make must remain compatible with the billions of programs already in use. Because Linux Apps and system files are updated in line with changes to the Linux kernel, the whole system marches forward. I'm sure there's Microsoft programmers who secretly wish they had the freedom Linux programmers do.

Mikrobi

report on installation

#36 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi to all !
Succesfull install on toshiba satellite 4300 (pIII 600mhz,256MB ram,savage mx gpu)
So far it's been only a few weeks, but looks it will be the best working puppy :-)
Already installed precise5_7_1, Tahr 6__0_2,Slacko but they re Very slooow.
Right now I'm fighting with Toshiba R100 which is cheap and good but has quite egzotic
1.8" pata drive, but mine was without it, so only boot is possible from Pcimcia reader with cf inside. Only precise and slacko started, but internet was quite slow, despite having 1.2GB of ram inside, but still was better than stock raspbian on Raspberry pi modelA 256 :-)
All best
Marek

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello Mikrobi,
Welcome to Legacy OS. You'll find lots of uses for your Pentium III. Just remember with only 600Mhz and 256Mb's of Ram HD video isn't going to play too well. A 700mb AVI Movie should hopefully play. I use a 500Mhz Pentium III with 192Mb's of Ram for the kids movies. AVI's play fine using 1024 x 768 ratio Monitor.
Also to connect by Ethernet click Applications > Setup > Wizard > Configure a Broadband / Network Connection and follow the instructions. Legacy OS doesn't automatically connect you to the internet you have to do it yourself. If you have Legacy OS installed to your hard drive you will only need to do this once.
Good Luck

Mikrobi

#38 Post by Mikrobi »

No worries about video :-)
h264 .mp4 movies downloaded from youtube are working fine in 640X360.
Problem is when you want to play them online. Under windows I was able to search for desired movie, then redirect url to smplayer and it worked in 360p, but it was few years ago.
I've also installed Legacy on usb in toshiba r200 small laptop. It works fine, and finds
onboard atheros wifi straigh away. Youtube via wifi was fluid, but opera likes to hang sometimes. I'm new to linux, so maybe it's because i dont have swap partition.
Back to tweaking :-)
All best
Marek

Mikrobi

#39 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi.
Today I've tried to boot legacy from usb-cd on toshiba R100.
syslinux started,next boot menu, but " when searching for puppy.sfs ... done"
apeared it stucked on " can't find puppy on device" , and then returned to init.gz.
Tried to copy main.sfs to usb pendrive, but ended in the same place, even with
pfix=usbflash , usbcard.
Any suggestions?
It is possible to boot, because precise5_7_1 starts from cf and loads main from usb pendrive.I would like to have faster puppy as precise is kinda slow...
All best

Mikrobi

#40 Post by Mikrobi »

Hi.Tried to boot legacy from usb-cd rom and it didn't work at all. So Toshiba r100 is not compatible.
all best

Eathray

#41 Post by Eathray »

John,

I did try it out and I thought it was absolutely glorious. Fantastic job... except for one thing. I need Ath5k. If it boots and it gets online, everything else is fixable.

I do think you should consider giving it a huge injection of wifi modules to choose from.

Like I say, it's beautiful. A real work of art. I only suggest you go ahead and give it a boost in the wifi support area, as well as making sure it can always boot somehow, even if it's only xvesa.

Just a suggestion from a nobody. You did a great job.

svgt

Installation error: cannot find Puppy on 'idecd' boot media

#42 Post by svgt »

Hi,

I tried an installation of your os. I made a fat32 boot partition at the usbstick.
Then I moved the data with unetbootin from the iso-file.

I am trying at old Dell D420 laptop.
I want to install LegacyOS in the hda3 partition.

What is the solution?

Best regards

svgt

oligin10

#43 Post by oligin10 »

I am pretty sure you can't boot it from a usb stick. I have never been able to make anything except Legacy OS4 work that way. Burn a disc and boot from it. The reason seems to be that it always looks for idecd drive. So it also needs to be a PATA drive and not a SATA drive. Hope this helps, Rob

svgt

with an usb cddrive same story

#44 Post by svgt »

The problem is: this old DELL D420 has no internal cd drive.
I tried it with external usb cd drive and got the same error messages.
The booting from sd- and cf-card is rejected.

And I cannot switch the hdd drive to another machine, because it is neither nor pata sata.