Installing Frisbee from files w/o the pet

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike7

#16 Post by Mike7 »

good luck with it.
Thanks, Rok.
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Mike7

#17 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Richard.

Sorry for the delay. I've been busy with travel plans. I'm going back to the States next week for a month.
I went to those pages but didn't see any way for me to upload files. I would probably have to join mediafire to do so, and frankly I hate giving out my email address on the Internet (too much spam already) or joining social networks.

If you think I could upload my sfs file if we're both connected to mediafire at the same time, we can try that. Just give me a time on the weekend that's convenient for you and we can coordinate. (I am in Buenos Aires, which at present is one hour ahead of New York time).

I should mention, as an aside, that I found all sorts of left-over networking stuff in my Puppeee, including files from something called "Network_Wizard" and something called "net_setup" (which I believe belonged to a network manager named "WAG"). Both Network_Wizard and net_setup have config files that include WPA- and WPA2-encrypted networks. I've been trying to get them to work, thinking maybe I could use one of them instead of Pwireless2, or use their config files with it, but no luck so far. (It really drives me nuts that Pwireless2 isn't accepting WPA2 passphrases.)
A "beta" is intended for users to test with. An RC is a release candidate, which is usually the same as the last beta or an improvement on it.
4.4-rc2, at least the celeron version of it, is no improvement over 4.4-beta1-atom, IMO.
Also, my kernel shows as 2.6.35.7atom, so is later than yours.
Probably changes for Frisbee and maybe even the driver module for my TP-Link(?) (among other things).
I have uploaded my "zdrv" file to that link, so that you could use it with the downloaded RC2 ISO file, substituting it for its file of the same name, but built for the celeron version. Mine is the atom equivalent.
I downloaded ze514357.sfs from your mediafire page. Thanks! (I see that it's quite a lot larger - around 8MB - than the one in the celeron-rc2 iso - around 6MB.)

It's worth a try, just to see what happens if I confabulate your ze514357 driver file, the celeron-rc2 system shs, and my savefile. It should be an interesting experiment. But even if Frisbee works and the previously-encountered system problems clear up (as they probably will), I don't like rc2.
Once I analyze your eee-505 file but for differences related to chrome, maybe we can copy the chrome-related files to your new "4.4atom-RC2".
Adding Chrome to rc2 would be an improvement. But there were lots of other changes in rc2 that I didn't like. Maybe I could learn to live with them if it's a question of having Frisbee or not. But there's gotta be a better solution (like putting Frisbee in 4.4-beta1-atom).

If I had a spare pendrive I would make a copy of my system and install the Frisbee-beta2 pet and its associated dhcpch and wpa_supplicant pets (which I downloaded from the forum). But I just haven't had the time to go and buy a new pendrive.

And I still haven't tried installing the Frisbee files I extracted from celeron-rc2. They may work without changes to 4.4-atom's system files. Who knows?

Some of this stuff will have to wait until I get to New York.

Cheers, and thanks!

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.