DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

Re: Saving network and start up services?

#461 Post by saintless »

worktowork wrote:This is my PC.(from http://antix.freeforums.org/which-antix ... t5359.html)
Hi, Worktowork.

I read a suggestion there to try antiX-13.5_386-jwm-alpha2.iso and just made quick test manually frugal install on already bootable USB. Booted up fine as user demo and password demo with working internet connection. Looks fast and light on P-III 600Mhz + 256 Mb Ram. See the screenshot:

It does not have much applications installed but it is easy to be done with working apt-get. I'm sure you will get help from Antix forum how to make frugal with persistent or full install on hard drive. I think it is based on Debian testing and some applications may run slow without more RAM but maybe worth testing also Antix-13.5 on your machine. Looks to me like promising alternative for old hardware.

Toni

bobc

#462 Post by bobc »

saintless,

antiX 13.5a2 is not a good option for him, I don't think. Its based somewhat on Debian Jessie, but hasn't been worked on in almost a year.

I was one of the people over there that tested it, and had to stop testing because I couldn't get synaptic to install and run correctly, and couldn't fix the dbus setup errors I was getting.

It does load up very light in terms of disk and memory, but without support, its not a good option. I reloaded it again last night to see if the problems were in Jessie and might have been fixed, and it still has the same problems as it did 6 months ago, and nobody has responded to those problems in that time.

antiX 13.2 would be a better option for him if he'd follow the instructions he was given to change fstab to automatically mount his NTFS partition and download and install the current Qupzilla or Opera browsers (both work), that is assuming he could get the other things on his list, too, like the oddball printer and Russian and Tartar languages, which I wouldn't know anything about.

SliTaz might also be a good option, but my guess is its an even worse stretch for the additional software and hardware because it lacks the Debian repository.

saintless

#463 Post by saintless »

Thank you for the information, Bobc!

I'm sure Worktowork will read your advice and find the best option. BTW the language instruction links here should work the same way in Antix.

mike delaw4

#464 Post by mike delaw4 »

Hi. I really like DebianDog. Lightweight and useful. There is just one problem: I can't connect to the net. Tried Frisbee and that simple alternative. Frisbee reports that IP adress is not correct, while the other one detects the connection, but still I can't use it.

I tried Slacko's wizard (that one with most options available). I entered the data (this comp is a public one so I just copied the data from Windows), loaded the tg3 driver - and it works.

Is tg3 available in DebianDog? If yes, should I unload and load it again? If not, how can I install it (I am a rookie regarding Linux)?

I am using Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet, btw.

saintless

#465 Post by saintless »

Hi, Mike Delaw4.

Broadcom drivers are part of firmware-linux-nonfree package and the Debian license policy is not to include nonfree packages. But the user can install them easy when needed. All you need is to install firmware-linux-nonfree package (with right click option from Xfe, Rox or Thunar) - direct download.
Or from terminal typing:

Code: Select all

dpkg -i /path/to/package-name.deb
In case you need to setup static IP just add ip= boot parameter (this is the only way in Debian). More information and examples you can find here. If you use static IP maybe all you need to do is to setup correct ip= parameter and firmware-linux-nonfree driver might be not needed. We had similar report here about frisbee and incorrect ip message trying to set up static ip. Setting up ip= boot parameter fixed the problem.

Toni

mike delaw4

#466 Post by mike delaw4 »

Installed nonfree package. Nothing.
Tried adding ip= during boot. Still nothing.

Thanx for help. Will try Slacko to see if it is as easy to use as Debian ... :)

saintless

#467 Post by saintless »

mike delaw4 wrote:Installed nonfree package. Nothing.
Tried adding ip= during boot. Still nothing.
I'm sure you will like Slacko and I'm sure now you do not need firmware-linux-nonfree package.

For others with the same static IP problem, please, read the examples link I gave in my previous post or here to see what ip= options means and how to use it properly with DebianDog or Debian Live in general.

Toni

sancxjo

Problem with saving

#468 Post by sancxjo »

Hello!

I installed to USB (8Gb/ ext2) DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm.iso
System worthy of attention!
Just do not quite understand it.
When installing I chose mode Frugal. But it turns out not, as though live mode.
Do not save the settings.
I tried to create a file like *.2fs but apparently it is not the.
How to make a save?
DebianDog-Jessie, Xenialpup 7.5
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz

stemsee

#469 Post by stemsee »

Frugal without savefile 'casper-rw' 'data.dat' 'live-rw' 'live/changes' is a live read only system. DebianDog has debian savefile options and names. Savefile creator is in the menu.

saintless

Re: Problem with saving

#470 Post by saintless »

sancxjo wrote:How to make a save?
Every boot method has different persistent options. Please, read here more about each one and choose what is best for your needs:
1. DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3x- debian initrd.img
2. DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-2x - debian initrd1.img
3. Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy (porteus-boot) - porteus initrd1.xz
Since you made frugal install on flash drive (ext2) the fastest way saving changes is to use boot option number 4:
Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy changes to /live/
It will save the changes inside /live/changes folder on your flash drive automatically after boot.

sancxjo

#471 Post by sancxjo »

I printed even, but not really understood.
But do not do something.

I thought that the number corresponds to the version of the kernel.
In the boot menu options I left only with "3" :"DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3"
After the first boot to try to change the settings and then create a file "01-sxangxo.squashfs" by dint of Remaster Cow...

"Porteus"- it probably means Portable

Okay, I'll try again

Ether

#472 Post by Ether »

sancxjo wrote:
"Porteus"- it probably means Portable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porteus_%2 ... evelopment

Porteus was named after "'Portability' and 'Proteus'. 'Proteus' is a "Greek god of the sea, capable of changing his form at will," according to the naming announcement on the Porteus forum. The project leader commented on the name, "I find this name as a kind of synonym of 'flexibility.' We have portable (small) and flexible (modular) features included in one name: Porteus."

saintless

#473 Post by saintless »

sancxjo wrote:I printed even, but not really understood.
Without information how exactly is installed DebianDog and what is the boot code you use it is difficult to help you.
If I understand right you made frugal install using DebianDog-Installer (included in the iso running different linux) or System -> DebianDog-Frugall-install (if you are running DebianDog from CD). In both situations you will get menu.lst with 9 boot options (using grub4dos but the uuid line for you will be different). It is better to use grub4dos which is the default:

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 10
default 0

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-2 Persistent Changes
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live persistent config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
 initrd /live/initrd1.img

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-2 (no persistent)
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
 initrd /live/initrd1.img

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-2 Copy to RAM
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
 initrd /live/initrd1.img

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy changes to /live/
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy Always Fresh
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy Copy to RAM
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3 Persistence Changes
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live persistence config quickreboot noeject autologin
 initrd /live/initrd.img

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3 (no persistence)
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live config quickreboot noeject autologin
 initrd /live/initrd.img

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3 Copy to RAM
 uuid 7236-DFD3
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
 initrd /live/initrd.img

title Reboot computer
  reboot
If you choose to change grub4dos with syslinux you will get 6 boot options in /syslinux/syslinux.cfg:

label DebianDog live-boot v2 in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog live-boot v2 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config swapon noprompt quickreboot autologin

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram

label DebianDog Porteus Always Fresh
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

label DebianDog live-boot v3 in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog live-boot v3 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin
Reading your last post I guess you changed grub4dos with syslinux while installing DebianDog.
In this case you need to add manually persistent option in /syslinux/syslinux.cfg using text editor.
For example this code will save changes in /live/changes folder on your ext2 flash drive:

label DebianDog Porteus changes in /live/changes folder
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ changes=/live/
This code will save changes in save file /live/changes.dat:

label DebianDog Porteus changes in /live/changes.dat file
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ changes=/live/changes.dat
You can make save file and name it changes.dat with Make-Save-File utility.
Or just download this archive containing 1Gb empty save file and extract it inside /live on your flash drive. Rename the extracted /live/live-rw to /live/changes.dat
Or do not rename it and use live-rw as name instead changes.dat in your boot code:

label DebianDog Porteus changes in /live/live-rw file
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ changes=/live/live-rw
My suggestion to you is to do some testing first with this porteus-boot example codes and do not experiment with live-boot-v3 and live-boot-v2 if porteus-boot works for you.

sancxjo

#474 Post by sancxjo »

Saving the Session I have done. Thanks!
Now I have done so:

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 10
default 0

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy Kopii en memoron(RAM)
 uuid b9c38d9b-35b2-4e42-bb21-54a999e19a92
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/changes.dat 
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Restarti komputilon
  reboot
Still something left.
When you run the file has been downloaded mistake Firewall
This is due to the architecture perhaps?
It is necessary, whether the kernel me out of here?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 86-pae.zip

saintless

#475 Post by saintless »

sancxjo wrote:Saving the Session I have done. Thanks!
OK, this is good news. If you prefer to use copy to ram add copy2ram after changes=EXIT:/live/changes.dat

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy Kopii en memoron(RAM)
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/changes.dat copy2ram
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz 
Still something left.
When you run the file has been downloaded mistake Firewall
This is due to the architecture perhaps?
It is necessary, whether the kernel me out of here?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 86-pae.zip
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if this is your processor (dual core 64-bit):
http://ark.intel.com/products/49490/Int ... e-1_80-GHz
then it will run DebianDog better with this kernel module:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... Pae.tar.gz
Download 026-kernel-3.14-Pae.tar.gz and extract (unzip) the archive in /live on your flash drive. Then use this boot code to start DebianDog with kernel-3.14-Pae:

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy 3.14-pae-kernel
 kernel /live/vmlinuz6 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/changes.dat 
 initrd /live/initrd63.xz
Note the change vmlinuz6 and initrd63.xz

Send me Private Message with your questions in Russian if it will be easier for you. I understand enough and I will try to explain better.

saintless

#476 Post by saintless »

New iso versions uploaded here.
Most probably this will be the last DebianDog-Wheezy iso update. New iso will be provided only if there is no other way for changes/fixes update.

All future updates will be provided from apt-get or Synaptic as deb packages from DebianDog repository.
Typing apt-get upgrade will upgrade all packages from official Debian repository and from DebianDog repository.
Typing apt-get install package-name will upgrade only one package.
All fixes will be listed here with information what is fixed exactly.
All extra packages (not included in DebianDog) will be uploaded here and easy installable with apt-get install package-name or Synaptic.

............................................................................................
Extra packages for DebianDog (not included).
Updated packages for DebianDog (available for upgrade).

Use this command in terminal (after running apt-get update first) and read the Description: line for information about each package:

apt-cache show package-name
Or download the deb, use XFE file manager and Right click -> View on deb package. (Or Right click -> Open With -> xfp). Read the Description: line for each package.
........................................................................................................

Changes in latest iso versions:
1. edit-sfs - rox or thunar version.
2. For OpenBox version - reinstall disktype to add it in dpkg.
3. Small configuration changes for mtpaint and jwm-theme-change in Jwm version.
4. Small modification for removing cache file in flashplayerchoice script.
5. RemasterCow with deleted (whiteout) files record option.
6. Replace mnt-img with filemnt in Jwm version with this configuration. - Download here.
7. apt2sfs - added np-dpkg-registration by default (makes possible to update dpkg status with the included programs) and checking for dpkg errors (like not enough free space to extract packages).
8. loadmodule + initrd1.img - moded to support whiteout (deleted) files by default and replacing initrd1.img in separate kerenel modules + replacing initrd1.xz with systemd boot option. Download moded wh support initrd1.img here.
9. For Jwm version only - remove moded roxterm-gtk2 and install the official package (now it adds almost no extra size) and fix iceweasel executable problem shown as library in Rox.
10. Reinstall all packages converted from Puppy with moded version to prevent later conflicts with official deb packages and edit all packages on the site (included, extra, testing...). Especially frisbee and sns. Download the packages from here.
This post will be updated with more information how to do it properly.
11. Replace included zenity-portable with deb package conflicting with later installed zenity versions. Why we need this change read here.
12. apt-get upgrade
13. apt-get install libc6-i686
14. Smaller buttons for obshutdown.
15. export LC_ALL=C in some scripts in case locales change.
16. Power button to shutdown computer and PrintScreen starting scrotdlg.
17. Obshutdown compatibility with Debian documentation for user account.
18. Install new gsu and add group wheel and menu entry for activate/deactivate password prompt on shutdown for user account.
19. Yad-spalsh message - add in /usr/local/bin fo use with yad scripts in the future instead gtkdialog-splash. Download deb package here.
20. Remove cow-nosave, cow-save-part and cow-save-file from /opt/bin. The scripts are replaced from cowsave.
21. Flashplayerchoice, change-netmanager and some other scripts need fixing to work with new yad-gsu.
22. New gsu deb package with 3 different gsu scripts + debdognew.zip to extract in /opt/docs. Installing gsu will search for this file and use the correct gsu for older DD versions. This is compatibility solution for some scripts in old DD versions. New DebianDog packages should work with any older or remastered DD version.
23. Script for checking free space in save file and popup warning for less than 30Mb This number can be changed easy from the user. The script goes in /root/Startup, /home/puppy/Startup and /ets/skel/Startup
24. New save2flash and snapmergepuppy scripts.
25. For Jwm version only - adding MJWM as third menu method. Reads files for each user account from $HOME/.local/share/applications + option to configure reading desktop files from any other directory.
26. Some more improvements from Fred for apt2sfs and ffmpeg2sfs.
27. Make obshutdown uninstallable part of the system by removing dpkg reistration information.
28. yad-splash and gtkdialog-splash permission change in /tmp for multiuser - added in gtkdialog and yad-splash deb packages for reinstalling.
29. Fixes for full installer.
30. changes in some xterm depending scripts here, here.
31. Remove obshutdown from Jwm version and move 021-apps-porteus content in main 01-filesystem.squashfs module.
32. New gsu scripts to export /opt/lib and /usr/local/lib using sudo. - gsu deb package includes the new scripts. This is needed for portablesfs script but Fred is also modding portablesfs for better multiuser support - read here.
33. Adding debdog repository:
Entry in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/ ./
Sign the repo by typing in terminal:

cd /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
wget "http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/debdog.gpg"
34. apt-get install unionfs-fuse - needed for new portablesfs chroot option.
35. portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse deb package + right click options for rox, xfe, thunar loadsfs-fuse for DD full install
36. apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
37. Include testing chrootin script in /opt/bin/special useful for full install.
38: Small fix for debdog frugall installers.
39. Improved sfs-get-smokey-get and portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse.deb. More information here.
40. Fixed /opt/bin/loadsfs with desktop icon for drag and drop.
41. For Jwm version install parcellite with startup links in $HOME/Startup

All old extra squashfs modules and kernel modules are compatible with both latest DebianDog versions.
All packages in DebianDog repository are compatible with any old DebianDog-Wheezy version and standard Debian after adding the repository in sources list as it is explained in change 33.

Thank you for the hard work to improve and synchronize all programs with every boot method and boot option, Fred!

Last edited by saintless on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 04:52, edited 5 times in total.

mcewanw

#477 Post by mcewanw »

Fantastic effort from you both, Toni and Fred. I have silently been marvelling at your sustained hard work. I highly rate DebianDog as amongst the best small linux projects available. Hope you both remain enthusiastic enough to keep the creation alive and in line with Debian's future developments and OS offerings.

Warm regards and congratulations,

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#478 Post by saintless »

Hi, William :)

DebianDog is yours and Terry's as much as mine and Fred's. Latest version is available also thanks to your help in the most difficult part of the development. I'm glad you like it!

Best regards, Toni.

anikin

#479 Post by anikin »

Well spoken, William, I wholeheartedly agree!
Just want to add, that personally, I've learned a lot from DebianDog.
Hopefully, Toni and Fred will always remain as helpful in the future.

musher0

#480 Post by musher0 »

Hi, saintless,

Congratulations to you and to all the members of the Debian Dog team for arriving at
this wonderful and significant milestone of "stable"! :D

What patience! What a learning curve! What an achievement! ;)

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)