XFCE 4.12
---------------
laptop hp pavillion64 8gb ram

debiandog with xfce

wifi , remaster perfect

very good work
BUT,
VLC, CHROME, AUDIO, XFCE appearance DO NOT WORK

CAN YOU MAKE AN ISO WITH only XFCE 4.12 DESKTOP?
THANKS
I posted how I got Chrome to run in DebianDog64, both as root (with a switch to turn off sandboxing) and as puppy from root using gksu.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 150d32909c

I assume the gksu method would work with other "don't run as root" programs too, but I haven't tried.

fredx181

#1382 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

New version of porteusbootscript 0.0.3, see here for info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 237#897237

Fred

fredx181

Fix for Thunar file-manager

#1383 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Fix for Thunar included in Wheezy openbox_xfce iso, patched thunar version, see for more info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 519#898519

Install:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install thunar
Or download and install the package:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... 1_i386.deb

It is higher version (1:1.2.3-4+b1) then official Debian version.

To install the official Debian-Wheezy version: 1.2.3-4+b1 (it displays the root-warning when logged in as root, the new patched version does not):

apt-get install thunar=1.2.3-4+b1
Added to Bugs and fixes list (10)

Fred

fredx181

#1384 Post by fredx181 »

Hi ALL,

New version of debdoginstallscripts (DebianDog-installer) 1.0.8, install:

apt-get update
aptget install debdoginstallscripts
See for more info about fixes here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 572#867572
And here;
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 300#868300

Added to Bugs and fixes list (1)

Fred

rufwoof

#1385 Post by rufwoof »

way back ..
saintless wrote:Hi, Alphadog.
I think with some help it will be possible to give full install option.
I will do some testing how it can be done proper with Debian.

In the meantime you can have something very close to full install but only with live-boot-v.2.x and live-boot-v.3.x It will not work with porteus-boot.
Make frugal install on sda1 (for example).
Create sda2 ext partition and label the partition live-rw (for live-boot-v.2.x) or persistence (for live-boot-v.3.x it will also need persistence.conf file inside).
Extract the content of /live/01-filesystem.squashfs on top of sda2 partition.
Delete 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Then create new empty 01-filesystem.squashfs from empty folder (/live/empty for example).

mksquashfs /live/empty /live/image/live/01-filesystem.squashfs
Reboot the computer with the same code for frugal install.
Now you boot DebianDog with empty squashfs module and all files are inside sda2 save partition uncompressed in RW mode.
The difference from full install is you still have initrd file in use.

Toni
Another variation (for liveboot 3 style) that at least works for Debian Jessie (I'm running the amd64 version) : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#915639

In summary : format a ext3 primary partition sda1 perhaps. Install grub4dos to that partition, set its flag as 'boot' and allocate it a partition label = "persistence" (i.e. its also the save partition).

Grab a copy of Debian LiveCD ISO, open it and copy the live folder across to that partition (so for instance sda1 now has a /live folder), extract the content of the /live/filesystem.squashfs to the root of that partition and create a empty replacement filesystem.squashfs in the live folder. Edit the menu.lst file in the root (/) directory to look something like :

# menu.lst
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 4
default 1

title Debian Jessie Frugal RW
find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64

title Debian Jessie Frugal RO
find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence persistence-read-only quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
and boot that. Best to boot into RW mode first, do all the setting up/updating/configuring etc. as that saves changes instantly (RO boot mode can run out of memory space if a large amount of updates occur). Reboot into RO (read only) mode ... and no saves will occur ... unless you install and run something like the snapmergepuppy script in that other thread link I posted above i.e. enables save on demand in a otherwise read only session.

No overlays (other than what runs in memory during a read only session - or if you have one or more .squashfs in /live that get loaded at bootup (I think there's a limit of 7 maximum ??) - best avoided if you want the package manager (apt-get/synaptic) not to get messed up), like a full install, but with choices of read only no changes saved, save changes on demand or save changes continually. And all contained within the same single partition (menu.lst boot loader alongside persistence saves, alongside /live boot folder). And of course access to the extensive and stable Debian repository (and relatively quick security updates).

Note that to extract the /live/filesystem.squashfs to the / folder I first extracted it to a sub directory (I accepted the default choice of squashfs-root i.e. I just ran unsquashfs filesystem.squashsh) and then moved all of that squashfs-root folder content to /

saintless

#1386 Post by saintless »

According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.

backi

#1387 Post by backi »

Hi Toni !

It`s a pleasure to see you back in Town ! :D :D :D

NOT kidding........

So Let`s praise the Lord ......Halleluja....!

Regards !

sindi

DebianDog Wheezy (9.02) on 2004 ASUS M5000 (M5 NP) no wifi

#1388 Post by sindi »

I have a 1.6GHz Pentium M ASUS M5000 from about 2004 with Intel 855GM graphics. As on two 2003 855GM laptops (Gateway 200 ARC and DELL Inspiron 1150) Lucid Puppy is not fully usable. Older versions freeze if I try to switch to a VT, and Lupu2016 has kernel panic on the ASUS and crashes while testing X on the 200 ARC. Wary 5.5 and Puppy 4.3.1 (kernel 2.6.25) work except that the vertical screen size is wrong (bottom with menu is not there and xvidtune does not work). Wary has to have vga=0x317 while puppy 4.3.1 works with vga=790 for framebuffer console. Sulu1 kernel is PAE (my laptops are not). Sulu2 works on the 200 ARC but fbcon does not work with Sulu2 on any laptop I have tried with it. Tahr cannot find /usr/bin (same on some other laptops).

I have not tried sulu3 (I think it also has no fbcon), precise, or slacko. 512MB microdimm (2x256MB) would be expensive to replace.

Wifi works perfectly with 4.3.1 and wary and lupu.

I can watch Youtube with youtube-viewer on the latter two at 720p (not bad for a 15 year old laptop) if I remember never to switch lupu to a vt. My best bet so far is wary 5.5. Alt-F1 for menu.. I continued my quest.

DebianDog (kernel 3.2.0-4) works with X, vts and fbcon, BUT cannot find the ipw2200 wifi card. Frisbee sees lo and eth0 but no eth1. I cannot manually assign an IP number 'no such device'. The same ipw22200 modules are in debiandog as in wary.

Sound works (loud, clear).

I could plug in an ethernet cable. Any other ideas?

fredx181

#1389 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sindi, the Debian "wheezy" branch is rather old (oldoldstable), it's possible to install packages but the repository sources needs to be changed first to "archive.debian.org"
To set repository source to archive.debian.org in /etc/apt/sources.list and install firmware for ipw2200 wifi card :

# backup original sources.list
cp -a /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

# create new sources.list, repository: archive.debian.org
echo 'deb http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/ ./
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
' > /etc/apt/sources.list

# update package lists
apt-get update

# Install firmware-ipw2x00
apt-get install firmware-ipw2x00
Fred

sindi

failed to update sources.list properly?

#1390 Post by sindi »

I typed all three three lines (echo 'deb .... sources.list') as one command.

Failed to fetch....wheezy-updates/nonfree/binary ....

I now have

127 sources.list 2015
941 sources-list.bak April 5
239 sources.list.main 2015

I did this on the 200 ARC Gateway plugged into ethernet.

apt-get update

apt-get firmware-ipw2x00
Unable to locate package.

I think I have this working on another laptop and can attempt to copy the firmware.

Do I need to get the sources working before I can download youtube-viewer too?

fredx181

#1391 Post by fredx181 »

Ok, maybe the copying and and paste from forum in terminal didn't do well :?:
EDIT: Sorry, I expected you'd do copy/paste, typing could possibly go wrong with this.

Better then open /etc/apt/sources.list with text-editor and make it only this content:

deb http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/ ./
Save the file.
And then from terminal:

# update package lists
apt-get update

# Install firmware-ipw2x00
apt-get install firmware-ipw2x00
Fred

sindi

Combined two setups of debiandog to get wifi and ssh/sftp.

#1392 Post by sindi »

On a 2004 DELL 600M I have debiandog wheezy working with ipw2200, but ssh would not install. I set this up a few years ago. Apparently I could not get youtube-viewer to work and therefore used the cde-exec yt-viewer pet for lupu and wary.

On a 2004 ASUS M5000 I got it working yesterday with ssh/sftp but not ipw2200. (I have not tried your latest suggestion and no I did not cut and paste, because I usually use lynx to post to the forum).

On the ASUS I copied ssh and sftp to the main debiandog directory.
I then copied changes.dat from the DELL (working wifi) to the ASUS (working ssh/sftp) backing up the original changes.dat, and rebooted.

ipw2200 now works on the ASUS, and I copied back ssh and sftp to /usr/bin, and they work. (I had also copied over various other files with ssh and ftp in them but they are not needed for ssh client).
I will copy ssh/sftp to the DELL.

On the ASUS, debiandog (I think - I have three computers running in two rooms now) used to run from /mnt/home/dog902 directory and now it is mounted to /mnt/live/mnt/sda2. I will compare menu.lst for the two and try to fix this. I redid my script for palemoon to point to the latter temporarily.

I will back up the current changes.dat and then try your latest suggestion for updating things before attempting again to install youtube-viewer (gtk-youtube-viewer). I cannot simply copy youtube-viewer from the lupu pet, which uses cde-exec and statically compiled mpv, and contains python and perl .

When I tried to apt-get install youtube-viewer there were many missing dependencies (mpv, perl...).

On some other laptop (which may have died) I had youtube-viewer working directly (together with ipw2200?), this being my original reason for using debiandog.

Hopefully youtube-viewer run directly will use less cpu and let me view at 720p on the DELL (currently 480p) and even on the 2003 200 ARC Gateway. DebianDog does not have the video problems of wary and lupu on the ASUS, which is now an excellent youtube player - small, lightweight, excellent sound and keyboard, matte screen.

Tahr will not work on the ASUS (cannot find /usr/bin at boot time).
The latest Palemoon won't run in lupu (which only works with Walter's specially compiled SSE version, not compilable for the latest Pale Moon). Is it worth trying in Debiandog Wheezy (gtk2)?

Debiandog (low ram mode) works beautifully in 512MB. It would be expensive to increase the RAM (microdimm).

fredx181

#1393 Post by fredx181 »

sindi wrote:When I tried to apt-get install youtube-viewer there were many missing dependencies (mpv, perl...).
Changing repository source as I described above (using archive.debian.org) and then "apt-get update" will probably fix that.
edit: or one-liner from terminal: (selecting below and then mouse middle-click to paste in terminal is probably easiest)

echo -e 'deb http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/ ./\ndeb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list
Fred

sindi

Palemoon 28.4.0 works with Debiandog Wheezy (2015-09-02)

#1394 Post by sindi »

The latest Pale Moon does work with DebianDog Wheezy. A few days ago ebay stopped printing with Palemoon 27, and various other sites are also now broken. PM 28 works with all of them.

Firefox 52.9 ESR (last version that will work with lupu) still works at ebay but they will probably break that too.

I may switch to DebianDog 7 (Wheezy) on all my laptops (2003-2007), at least where Tahr does not work (quite a few).

It is perfect so far with all graphics chips/cards including framebuffer console (the default), sound, and wifi, and supports ssh, lynx, palemoon and youtube-viewer. Uses little RAM.

I have the deb files for my two brother printers and will figure out how to use them with ddog.

My touchpads have no middle button. To copy in Pale Moon, highlight with mouse (can it be done with keyboard instead?), Ctrl-C (copy), Ctrl-V (paste). I do not get along well with mice (therefore fbcon) and it is usually quicker to retype. I was missing an /n. Will try again.

sindi

Still cannot download/install ssh and youtube-viewer

#1395 Post by sindi »

I edited sources.list to the two lines you specified a few posts back and updated package list.

Unmet dependencies (after running apt-get -f install as suggested) for ssh and youtube-viewer. Eight of them, relating to perl and mpv. apt-get install perl says I need two dependencies. /var/log/apt missing. mpv needs openssh client and server and two other libraries.

I can copy ssh from the other laptop and use the cde-exec youtube-viewer. I run browsers from a separate directory.

I tried to copy and paste from a terminal (in X) - no luck.

fredx181

#1396 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sindi

Just tested from fresh install of DebianDog-Wheezy-Jwm, changed sources.list to now containing:

then , after "apt-get update", I did :

apt-get install youtube-viewer

(or can be installed from Synaptic also)
And all went fine, gtk-youtube-viewer installed correctly and works OK for me.
Unmet dependencies (after running apt-get -f install as suggested) for ssh and youtube-viewer.
I don't understand that, where is "apt-get -f install" suggested ? No need for that, I'd say, if doing above.
EDIT: Oh I see, probably it's suggested after it failed to install, still... I think, doing above should work.

Please check if your /etc/apt/sources.list is exactly correct, that's the most important.

Fred

sindi

sources.list - is it two lines?

#1397 Post by sindi »

Is sources.list two lines as shown in your post,
the first line ending in / ./
?

I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso

Which version of youtube-viewer do you have? My cde-exec pet
version is 3.15 and there is 3.50 available now.

More after dark. It is 69F and dry out today after a long cold winter.

fredx181

Re: sources.list - is it two lines?

#1398 Post by fredx181 »

sindi wrote:Is sources.list two lines as shown in your post,
the first line ending in / ./
?
Yes and yes
Maybe best to use text-editor, e.g. leafpad for that (copy/paste) see pic
Which version of youtube-viewer do you have? My cde-exec pet
version is 3.15 and there is 3.50 available now.
Version 3.1.5 only available for Debdog wheezy (it's from http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog repo)
I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso

Same as I'm testing on now.

Fred
Attachments
sources.list.png
sources.list
(42.61 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

sindi

sources.list

#1399 Post by sindi »

Here is my sources.list (pasted in using lynx and pico
after uploading it to my netbsd shell account where I do mail).
When I edited it in debiandog the words were various colors.

#DebianDog repository:

Do you know why the shapes of the letters change during boot from
rounded to squared? The former looks like framebuffer console in
puppy linuxes.

Perhaps updated files from youtube-viewer 3.5 package could be
substituted for some files in 3.1.5 version. Frequently youtube
videos do not play in youtube-viewer that play on a phone with
Tubemate.

fredx181

#1400 Post by fredx181 »

sindi wrote:Perhaps updated files from youtube-viewer 3.5 package could be
substituted for some files in 3.1.5 version. Frequently youtube
videos do not play in youtube-viewer that play on a phone with
Tubemate.
If you don't have it already, installing youtube-dl would be a great improvement, but it depends on python, so then:

apt-get install python
Download and install youtube-dl:

curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
# make executable
chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
Then there's good chance that the videos will play (which didn't before) in gtk-youtube-viewer. (because mpv can make use of youtube-dl)
(I tested this and works fine, only thing: starting the video may take a while)

Fred