Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 04:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - beta changed to stable version
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 29 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
Author Message
mcewanw

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 2346
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 16:57    Post_subject: Synaptic, GUI for downloading applications  

sheldonisaac wrote:
I don't know how to find and install Debian software; are they called "packages".

In Puppy, I look for .pet packages of, for example, claws e-mail, or Opera browser.

I'm certainly aware that Debian uses apt-get, but am almost totally unfamiliar with how to.


sheldonisaac,

There is a GUI called Synaptic for downloading debian apts from their big repository. You reach it via the JWM menu:

JWM -> Settings -> Synaptic

You can often alternatively use sfs files made in puppy.

_________________
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 17:01    Post_subject: bugs in this thread???  

I've got it installed. Using the xfce version. Looks great.

One minor thing so far,

When updating synaptic, I got this error:

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4298
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 17:11    Post_subject: Persistence on Live disc media  

This look appealing and I would like to test.

I did read 1st several posts. In reading this post, and seeing "Make Save File", here. I have a question.

Question
I am a LiveDVD user for all of my PUPs. I run persistence via save-sessions to my LiveDVD via the builtin subsystem for such. Is that ability present in this distro?

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
mcewanw

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 2346
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 17:30    Post_subject: Using apt commands  

sheldonisaac,

If you also/alternatively want to install packages from the commandline rather than use JWM -> Settings -> Synaptic GUI, then the following commands are useful. You can find more from the site this list of commands is basically quoted/extracted from: http://www.tecmint.com/useful-basic-commands-of-apt-get-and-apt-cache-for-package-management/

If you are running as a non-root user then use sudo with the following apt commands:

The ‘update‘ command is used to resynchronize the package index files from the their sources specified in /etc/apt/sources.list file:
Code:

apt-get update


The ‘upgrade‘ command is used to upgrade all the currently installed software packages on the system:
Code:

apt-get upgrade


Use 'install' to install a package whose name you know:

Code:

apt-get install iceweasel


If you don't know the exact name, you can use “search” with apt-cache to display a list of matched packages with short description:
Code:

apt-cache search flashplugin

or use:

apt-cache search flashplugin | less (q key to quit 'less')


You can download any given package without installing it:
Code:

apt-get download iceweasel


To un-install software packages without removing their configuration files (for later re-use the same configuration). Use the ‘remove‘ command:
Code:

apt-get remove iceweasel


To remove software packages including their configuration files, use the ‘purge‘ command:
Code:

apt-get purge iceweasel


To list all the available packages
Code:

apt-cache pkgnames

or use:

apt-cache pkgnames | less


if you would like to check information of package along with it short description, use show:
Code:

apt-cache show flashplugin-nonfree


if you would like to check package dependencies, use showpkg:
Code:

apt-cache showpkg flashplugin-nonfree


The ‘clean‘ command is used to free up the disk space by cleaning retrieved (downloaded) .deb files (packages) from the local repository (which you can usefully, prior to using clean sub-command, find in /var/cache/apt/archives):
Code:

apt-get clean


To fix dependencies if for example you have used an offline installer such as JWM->Utility->Xfpack, use:
Code:

apt-get install -f (with nothing typed after that)


From that same apt commands link:
Apostolis Hardalias wrote:

Two very handy and useful commands are:

apt-cache depends

which shows the package dependencies and

apt-cache rdepends

which shows packages depending on (reverse depends)


EDIT: Of course you find all the details about Debian, including lots on apt, at their documentation pages:

Main Debian Reference Guide:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Debian Wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/

Docs home page:

http://www.debian.org/doc/

William

_________________
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Edited_times_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
nancy reagan

Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 510

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 18:44    Post_subject: Re: Using apt commands  

mcewanw wrote:
sheldonisaac,

If you also/alternatively want to install packages from the commandline rather than use JWM -> Settings -> Synaptic GUI, then the following commands are useful. You can find more from the site this list of commands is basically quoted/extracted from: http://www.tecmint.com/useful-basic-commands-of-apt-get-and-apt-cache-for-package-management/

If you are running as a non-root user then use sudo with the following apt commands:

The ‘update‘ command is used to resynchronize the package index files from the their sources specified in /etc/apt/sources.list file:
Code:

apt-get update


The ‘upgrade‘ command is used to upgrade all the currently installed software packages on the system:
Code:

apt-get upgrade


Use 'install' to install a package whose name you know:

Code:

apt-get install iceweasel


If you don't know the exact name, you can use “search” with apt-cache to display a list of matched packages with short description:
Code:

apt-cache search flashplugin

or use:

apt-cache search flashplugin | less (q key to quit 'less')


You can download any given package without installing it:
Code:

apt-get download iceweasel


To un-install software packages without removing their configuration files (for later re-use the same configuration). Use the ‘remove‘ command:
Code:

apt-get remove iceweasel


To remove software packages including their configuration files, use the ‘purge‘ command:
Code:

apt-get purge iceweasel


To list all the available packages
Code:

apt-cache pkgnames

or use:

apt-cache pkgnames | less


if you would like to check information of package along with it short description, use show:
Code:

apt-cache show flashplugin-nonfree


if you would like to check package dependencies, use showpkg:
Code:

apt-cache showpkg flashplugin-nonfree


The ‘clean‘ command is used to free up the disk space by cleaning retrieved (downloaded) .deb files (packages) from the local repository (which you can usefully, prior to using clean sub-command, find in /var/cache/apt/archives):
Code:

apt-get clean


To fix dependencies if for example you have used an offline installer such as JWM->Utility->Xfpack, use:
Code:

apt-get install -f (with nothing typed after that)


From that same apt commands link:
Apostolis Hardalias wrote:

Two very handy and useful commands are:

apt-cache depends

which shows the package dependencies and

apt-cache rdepends

which shows packages depending on (reverse depends)


William


WOULD BE VERY USEFUL IF THESE INSTRUCTIONS WERE COPIED TO THE FIRST POST ????????
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
mcewanw

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 2346
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 19:20    Post_subject: Re: Using apt commands  

nancy reagan wrote:

WOULD BE VERY USEFUL IF THESE INSTRUCTIONS WERE COPIED TO THE FIRST POST ????????


Or maybe post five, which is reserved for extra info? The earlier posts are already detailed and quite full of installation and debiandog description/explanation.

I've added links to the main Debian Reference guide, and to Debian Wiki, the latter providing good newcomers to Debian information.

_________________
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
mcewanw

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 2346
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 20:20    Post_subject: Booting usb debiandog install on my 10 yr old computer
Sub_title: Disclaimer: no guarantees, but worth a try if you can't boot from usb?
 

Note that the following suggestion is really only concerned with really old computers (ten years old or so). It will not be necessary for most computers and may not work for you anyway (just did for me). I was having trouble booting from a usb flash stick after originally formatting it with a single ext4 format partition with Gparted (and disabling the ext4 journal to save flash from wear). My machine detects the single usb stick partition as /dev/sdb1:

If you have an older machine (ten year old or so) and are having trouble to get DebianDog to boot from grub4dos when the debiandog live folder is on usb, as a last resort you can try the following method of formatting a usb to ext4 first. If I instead use Gparted to format my usb stick, and install debiandog onto that, I find that the result boots fine on my newer computer, but can't find files on my older one.

By formatting the usb stick in the following manner instead, and then installing debiandog on that, I have no problem booting on either my older machine or my newer one. I don't guarantee this will work on any particular machine, but it is maybe worth a try if all else seems correct but you still can't boot from the usb. If that doesn't work, you might also like to try changing 16384 (which results on partition starting on 1MiB boundary) below to 2048 (which results on partition starting on 1MiB boundary instead) but 16384 worked fine on my old machine:

1. I partition and format my usb stick (on /dev/sdb) with the following two commands:

Code:
echo "16384,,L,*" | sfdisk -f -H 16 -uS /dev/sdb

mkfs.ext4 -O ^has_journal /dev/sdb1


2. The above reduces the apparent heads to 16 (-H 16) (which presumably works around a BIOS limitations problem on my old machine) and formats /dev/sdb1 partition with ext4 fs. Then I simply run debdog-install, click on /dev/sdb1 partition, select debiandog install iso (or my /mnt/home/live folder), and press the install button (I avoid using gparted since that seems to muck up the heads bit; not that there is anything wrong with gparted - it is probably just using the kernel's representation of CHS values, which is fine for most modern computers).

The result boots on both my old and newer computer and the bootable (*) /dev/sdb1 Linux (L) partition starts on 8MiB boundary (16384 sectors).

I wrote more about the experiments that led up to the above here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=770156#770156

Note that my old machine actually has no BIOS option to directly boot from usb so as a workaround I have grub4dos bootloader itself on the harddrive for that machine (with grub4dos bootloader on harddrive MBR and grldr and menu.lst on the harddrive's first partition)

_________________
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2495
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 02:20    Post_subject:  

Thank you, William!
Your instructions for apt-get and usb old computer install added in post five.

Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2495
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 02:26    Post_subject: Re: Persistence on Live disc media  

gcmartin wrote:
Question
I am a LiveDVD user for all of my PUPs. I run persistence via save-sessions to my LiveDVD via the builtin subsystem for such. Is that ability present in this distro?

Hi, Gcmartin.

Unfortunately you can't save session on DVD with DebianDog.
What you can do is to boot from the DVD and save session on usb or hdd in save-file, save-folder or save-partition.
Maybe in time if there is interest from Puppy linux developers it will be possible to modify puppy save file options to work for DebianDog.

Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2495
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 02:32    Post_subject: Re: bugs in this thread???  

dancytron wrote:
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907

Thank you, Dancytron.
This error is harmless. It does not stop downloads from multimedia repository. Just ignore it or you can easy fix it this way:
Code:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 07DC563D1F41B907

Code:
gpg --armor --export 07DC563D1F41B907 | apt-key add -


Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
alphadog


Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 95
Location: Deepest Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 03:53    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the reply Toni, will give try this in the next week or so.
I (and others I suspect) thank you and all the other devs of other breeds of Puppy and software here in the kennels. You make this community what it is, helpful,sharing and thoroughly GRRRRRReat.

_________________
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
emil

Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 618
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 06:55    Post_subject:  

Congratulation,
keep up the good work!
cheers
emil
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
atv


Joined: 16 Nov 2011
Posts: 19
Location: Tambo, Ecuador

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 10:50    Post_subject: usb mouse
Sub_title: logitech mouse support
 

Friends; Let me first congratulate you all on the excellent work you all have done with this Distro. I simply love it Very Happy
perhaps you might be able to help me with this problem;
Quote:


>From Osamu Aoki's Debian Reference (http://www.debian.org/doc), chapter 3.3:

Make sure you have:
* "Input Core Support" and "Input Core Support/Mouse Support"
enabled in the kernel or as modules.
* "Support for USB", "Preliminary USB device filesystem", "UHCI or
OHCI", and "USB HID Support" enabled in the kernel or as modules.

For typical scroll _USB_ mice, configuration combinations should be:

| /etc/X11/X86Config-4
=========================+======================================
| Section "InputDevice"
| Identifier "Generic Mouse"
| Driver "mouse"
| Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
| Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
| Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
| Option "Buttons" "5"
| Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
| EndSection


could not find /etc/X11/X86Config-4
what did I do wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.
regards, Andres
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2495
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:54    Post_subject: Re: usb mouse
Sub_title: logitech mouse support
 

atv wrote:
could not find /etc/X11/X86Config-4
what did I do wrong? Thank you for any help you can give me.
regards, Andres

Hi, Andres Smile
You can't find /etc/X11/X86Config-4 file in Debian anymore. I think it is replaced by xorg.conf but I might be wrong.
I can suggest two things for the moment:

1. Download this firmware module in /live and reboot:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/031-firmware-porteus.squashfs
If the problem is still there then try;
2. Exit X from Shutdown menu:
Code:
Xorg -configure

Code:
mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
startx

Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try changing this section:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "auto"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection


Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2495
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:04    Post_subject:  

alphadog wrote:
Thanks for the reply Toni, will give try this in the next week or so.

Hi, Alphadog.

I think thanks to Fred we will have Full install automated option in the future.
Till then here is how to make real full install manualy with DebianDog (on sda2 for example):

Extract 01-filesystem.squashfs on sda2.
Copy or move vmlinuz1 and initrd.img inside /media/sda2/boot
Add this in grub menu list:
Code:
title DebianDog Full install on sda2
root (hd0,1)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz1 root=/dev/sda2
 initrd /boot/initrd.img

initrd.img is needed for Debian full install unlike Puppy.

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 29 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1310s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0065s) ][ GZIP on ]