DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#31 Post by dancytron »

Okay, I am using the xfce version with porteus boot with changes directory, save on exit only. When I get logged in, sda3 (the partition with my /live directory) is already mounted. When I open it, it takes me to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit instead of sda3.

However, when I ran "create module from changes" (which worked great btw), it then changed and was mounted to sda3 like it should be. This is even if I cancel out of it before I let it create the squashfs file.

When I tried to unmount it, I got this error.

Code: Select all

Error umounting volume sda3: Script exited with exitcode 1
Output:
umount: /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
umount: /mnt/live/mnt/sda3: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
The menu.1st entry I am using is:

title PorteusDog changes=EXIT:/live/
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd0,2)/live/initrd1.xz

saintless

#32 Post by saintless »

Hi, Dancytron.
dancytron wrote:When I tried to unmount it, I got this error
The error is because it is the boot partition. It can not be unmounted while using /live folder.
When I open it, it takes me to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit instead of sda3.
I guess Fred will give better answer. It seems the same situation as using live-rw save file with live-boot-v2 which was solved with mnt-backing script. I think starting "create module from changes" (remastercow-porteus) restores the mount point to sda3.
I will test this situation tomorrow with both versions.

Toni

dancytron

#33 Post by dancytron »

okay, thanks.

Dan

saintless

#34 Post by saintless »

Edit: Thank you for testing. Seems there is a problem with amd64 module. No more testing needed for now. I will open this subject again when I'm ready to continue.

Hi, all.

Test on AMD64 processor needed. Unfortunately I do not have one. If someone can do the test sometime it will be great.

Make DebianDog frugal install. Download this archive and extract it in /live:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... -amd64.zip
This is kernel 3.2.0-4-486-amd64 module.
Use this boot code (sda1 for example). Note vmlinuz6 and initrd6.img:

title DebianDog Wheezy AMD64 live-boot-3x (sda1)
root=(hd0,0) 
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config persistence swapon quickreboot noeject autologin showmounts
initrd /live/initrd6.img 
I need only test for now if DebianDog boots this way on AMD64 and if the installed programs start/work.
Thanks in advance!

Toni

Edit: Thank you for testing. Seems there is a problem with amd64 module. No more testing needed for now. I will open this subject again when I'm ready to continue.
Last edited by saintless on Fri 18 Apr 2014, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#35 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; I`ll do a test on my Athlon 64. It may take a little time, I`ll let you know...

# Update: Bad news...

1) deb-installer does not work for me, select /live & part., click [Install] and it does nothing.
"ps -A" shows that it appears to be stalled, I don`t know why.

2) After manually installing your setup my Athlon64 won`t recognize the USB drives.
All of the installs boot on my Pentium-D PC. So the Athlon must have BIOS issues.
The Athlon failed booting installs on several USB drives. I doubt it will work. Sorry...

# I`ll see if Olga`s HP laptop is an AMD 64 cpu ( it`s dual core ), when she gets home.

mcewanw

#36 Post by mcewanw »

dancytron wrote:Okay, I am using the xfce version with porteus boot with changes directory, save on exit only. When I get logged in, sda3 (the partition with my /live directory) is already mounted. When I open it, it takes me to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit instead of sda3.
Hi dancytron.

The result is actually the same using porteus boot method in the jwm version. But instead of clicking on boot device itself, I just always go to /mnt/home to open the filesystem on the boot device in xfe or rox.
github mcewanw

saintless

#37 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry!
sunburnt wrote:1) deb-installer does not work for me, select /live & part., click [Install] and it does nothing.
"ps -A" shows that it appears to be stalled, I don`t know why.
It works fine for me for iso and /live folder. Just tested again on ext4 and ext2 usb stick.
Does anyone else who tested the installer have similar as Terry's problem?
2) After manually installing your setup my Athlon64 won`t recognize the USB drives.
All of the installs boot on my Pentium-D PC. So the Athlon must have BIOS issues.
The Athlon failed booting installs on several USB drives. I doubt it will work. Sorry...
Thank you, Terry. At least it was worth trying. I guess it is possible some module for usb support also missing in the module and this could be the problem. But it is strange I can boot amd64 module till I get message my processor is not compatible. I will stop with amd64 trials till I get proper hardware for this.

Toni

Wognath

#38 Post by Wognath »

Thanks for a very interesting and impressive puppy.
Test on AMD64 processor needed.
On VIA Nano U2250 processor, with AMD 64 kernel, booted to desktop but no mouse or keyboard response. As far as I have tested, the porteus-boot version works except that the wireless card is not recognized.

saintless

#39 Post by saintless »

Wognath wrote:
Test on AMD64 processor needed.
On VIA Nano U2250 processor, with AMD 64 kernel, booted to desktop but no mouse or keyboard response. As far as I have tested, the porteus-boot version works except that the wireless card is not recognized.
Thank you, Wognath!
Can you just confirm you used vmlinuz6 and initrd6.img in your boot code similar to this one. None responding mouse and keyboard sounds like wrong initrd is in use:

title DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3x (sda1)
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config persistence swapon quickreboot noeject autologin showmounts
initrd /live/initrd6.img
Anyway I will edit the message for testing amd64. I will continue with this when I get proper hardware to test it.

Toni

giannis4

#40 Post by giannis4 »

I ve downloaded the DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce-beta.iso,burned it to usb but when I am trying to boot from it I have an error about invalid kernel.Is this means that its not for my hardware?

saintless

#41 Post by saintless »

giannis4 wrote:I ve downloaded the DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce-beta.iso,burned it to usb but when I am trying to boot from it I have an error about invalid kernel.Is this means that its not for my hardware?
Hi, giannis4.
It is hard to tell without some more information.
First make sure the md5sum check is the same to be sure the download is good.
Is it the same "invalid kernel" message with any of the 3 boot options (initrd.img, initrd1.img, initrd1.xz)?
Please, post your boot code here and give some information what is your hardware.
In the meantime try this kernel:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... orteus.zip
Download the archive and extract it in /live folder on your usb. Use this boot code (note you need to use initrd3.xz and vmlinuz3):

title PorteusDog (installed on sda1) 
root (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz3 noauto from=/ 
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd3.xz
Toni

giannis4

#42 Post by giannis4 »

Sorry I cant follow your directions.Too much for me.I ve tried to extract the zip file where you have told me to but I got an error.I havent the same experience with other puppy versions,for example slacko is working without any manual configuration.I just burned the iso and thats it,done.I am not a programmer,I am a regular user and this is very confusing for me and a waste of time.Anyway thanks for your time.

mcewanw

#43 Post by mcewanw »

giannis4 wrote:burned it to usb
Actually, I'm a bit lost as to what 'burned to usb' means. I would ask if giannis4 meant "burned to CD" but if slacko is running and happy with that then that's good.
github mcewanw

saintless

#44 Post by saintless »

Small bug fixed in initrd1.xz for porteus-boot only.
Both iso versions replaced with new ones.
No need to download the iso again if you already did that.
Just replace initrd1.xz with this one:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... initrd1.xz
dancytron wrote:When I get logged in, sda3 (the partition with my /live directory) is already mounted. When I open it, it takes me to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit instead of sda3.
Fred made fix for this. It is included in the new iso.
Replace /usr/local/bin/mountlink with the one from this archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... ntlink.zip

Toni

giannis4

#45 Post by giannis4 »

mcewanw wrote:
giannis4 wrote:burned it to usb
Actually, I'm a bit lost as to what 'burned to usb' means. I would ask if giannis4 meant "burned to CD" but if slacko is running and happy with that then that's good.
You know what I mean.Dont be arrogant,because I can be too.Sorry for my English...not my native language you see.I bet you cant speak mine also.
Oh,I see whats your problem is.I should have said "I ve created a bootable USB".Is that correct?

mcewanw

#46 Post by mcewanw »

giannis4 wrote: You know what I mean.Dont be arrogant,because I can be too.Sorry for my English...not my native language you see.I bet you cant speak mine also.
Oh,I see whats your problem is.I should have said "I ve created a bootable USB".Is that correct?
Sorry, I really wasn't sure what you meant. There was no arrogance felt. I was curious if you had actually burned to CD and if that booted okay but didn't want to use more of your time with further testing, which may well not succeed on some machines. As for booting from USB, I've had trouble with that too on one of my computers, particularly older ones, as documented in one of my posts above along with what succeeded for me. But the fix for my machine was relatively technical so, from your comments, I felt my own results were unlikely to be helpful. They are documented by Toni in the fifth post of this thread.
github mcewanw

saintless

#47 Post by saintless »

Hi, giannis4.

Noone is arrogant with you. Maybe you take it this way because English is not your native language.
You did not give any clear information till now about your problem and I'm afraid I can't help you in this situation.
You wrote about burning DebianDog on USB but Slacko on CD. This makes the confusion.
Reading only the beginning of the first post will show you DebianDog is not Puppy and you can't install it on USB from Puppy without manual changing menu.lst boot code:
DebianDog is very small Debian Wheezy Live CD shaped to look like Puppy ...

To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit manual your boot grub menu.lst For the moment DebianDog has installer for USB grub4dos frugal install.
Reading the second post will show you boot code examples and available boot methods.
If you decide to try DebianDog and give us the information I already asked we will try to help you. Otherwise like you I also do not want to waste my time.

Best regards, Toni

Wognath

test with VIA Nano processor

#48 Post by Wognath »

Can you just confirm you used vmlinuz6 and initrd6.img
Confirmed: I copied and pasted your text into menu.lst, changed only partition number. Thanks again, Toni

saintless

#49 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Wognath!
I will put on hold AMD64 module tests for now.
Toni

saintless

#50 Post by saintless »

alphadog wrote:Any plans (for us traditionalists) to give this a full install option ?
For all interested from DebianDog Full Install here is the first testing version debdog-full-install from Fred:
Only for testing - be careful not to format wrong HDD partition!!!
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... nstall.zip
Boot DebianDog and extract the archive. Single click on the executable will run GUI. Choose DebianDog iso as source and partition to install it. It will be formatted to ext4 if you confirm. There is confirmation window.
After formatting and extracting main sfs module on the partition you have a choice to install grub4dos to mbr or not. Choosing yes will auto-generate menu.lst and entry by UUID.
If you have existing menu.lst the new DebianDog entry will be added to it.

Please, if you have any comments and suggestions about debdog-full-installer point them to the development thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90660

Toni