Have anybody tried a newer Graveman? [YES]

Using applications, configuring, problems
zigbert

Have anybody tried a newer Graveman? [YES]

#1 Post by zigbert »

Many post about cd-burning trouble (me too). For me burning works, - then not, - then tkdvd burns, - then not... Now burning from cdrecord works absolutely fine.

Then I realize that Graveman in Puppy is from february 2005. The version is 0.3.8. It has been several releases from that time. I just wonder if anybody has tried a newer Graveman with greater sucsess than the "Puppy-edition".
Last edited by zigbert on Thu 13 Jul 2006, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, I've tested all versions.
There are threads discussing this somewhere.
Graveman is 0.3.8 as later versions don't work properly. I filed a bug report
for the latest about a week ago.

TkDVD works fine in 2.01r2.

Billcnz

#3 Post by Billcnz »

I just tested the latest beta of Graveman before reading Barry's reply and it's still not detecting the inserted media, so even though it compiles fine, at the moment it's only good for making iso's.
Bill

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

Thanks for information.

So, I guess it's not possible to close the burning-issue yet.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Note, you also have to install cdrdao for latest Graveman.
I think cdrdao is also used for detecting inserted media.

Billcnz

#6 Post by Billcnz »

I tried version 0.3.12-5 again on a test install Puppy201r2, I compiled cdrdao as pupget was failing to fetch it. The funny thing is this time it works with my external cdwriter on /dev/scd0 but it still wasn't detecting media on /dev/hdc (internal cdrom). I was able to copy a cd from my external writer to an iso file but when it got to 100% it didn't know that it was finished and was still trying to read more stuff from the cd so I had to click cancel though the saved iso file was still complete and usable. I also tried the other way around burning the iso back to a cdr which it completed sucessfully but as soon as the writer ejected the cd Graveman crashed with a segfault:

sh-3.00# graveman

(graveman:21127): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL ( label)' failed

(graveman:21127): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL ( label)' failed
Segmentation fault

Prior to this it was also complaining of a missing icon theme:
(graveman:18881): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gnome-fs-home'. The ' hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://freedesktop.org/Software/icon-theme/releases

I installed this and got rid of that error but it didn't stop the segmentation fault immediately following a burn.

Bill

I had one more try with all of the external programs present at compile time: libvorbis, sox, hicolor-icon-theme, cdrdao, & flac. Most of it works fine and I was able to create audio cd's from mp3 & wav files and burn & create iso's but still couldn't get rid of that final segmentation fault at the end of a burn making the program suddenly disappear (maybe it's an auto-exit feature :roll:
Oh - and all of this was with the usb connected writer, it still couldn't detect media in hdc. Probably best to stick with the early version at this stage.

Bill

purple_ghost

Perhaps try Xcdroast.

#7 Post by purple_ghost »

Xcdroast is a pupget.

I have had better luck with Xcdroast in place than Graveman.
I suspect that some burners/hardwares just work better with Xcdroast. I suspect some burners/hardwares work better with Graveman.

Also. Part of my difficulty is that I needed to learn a lot more about how to set burning software. Xcdroast has some built in documentation.

Let us know which works for you. What settings you made in the software program. Then what your hardware setup is. Someday, someone might be able to classify what causes this strange difficulty with burning programs.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Hey, has anyone tested Nero for Linux? It was mentioned in another thread, but I don't recall any test report. It's shareware, don't know if it has a cutoff date.

MU

#9 Post by MU »

I think the sharewareversion has speed-limitations, just 1x-speed or so.
Mark

Billcnz

#10 Post by Billcnz »

I was still very puzzled about the media detection problem with the recent versions of Graveman because although I managed to google a couple of similar reports there were no answers and it wasn't widespread enough to indicate a general problem so I decided to test version 0.3.12-5 on a few other pc's with different drives (just what I had available in the household). It seems that on some drives it has no problems, these drives worked fine:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U (internal ide DVD writer)
DVDR/RW DX162D-A (internal ide DVD Writer)
TEAC DW-224E (laptop CD-Writer/DVD reader)
CDWRITER IDE5224 (internal ide CD-Writer)
HP CD-Writer+ 8200 (ide but connected via usb to laptop)

These two drives were not able to detect inserted media:
TEAC CD-224E (older laptop, reader only)
OEM CD-ROMF563E (older pc, reader only)

So in my limited experiment it would seem the media detection in the newer versions of Graveman may not support older CD-ROM drives but more modern writers should be OK. I think the difference with the old 0.3.8 version of Graveman is that it didn't try to verify the media before begining to read or write, the new version will wait until it detects a valid media and prompt for blanking if for example a CD-RW is inserted.

On the drives that were working I was able to do the following:
Create an audio cd from wav and/or mp3 files (no errors and disk played OK)
Create a data disk (no errors)
Copy Puppy CD on the fly - drive to drive (no errors)
Copy Puppy CD to iso file on hard drive (no errors)
Burn an iso file to disk (this did give a "write failed" message after the cd was ejected at the end of the burn, but the cd appeared to boot OK and when I copied it back to and iso and checked it's md5sum it was the same as the original).

Bill

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Bill,
yes, the latest graveman works on my drives, but I have that same problem
with burns going right through then reporting a fail, although it seems to
have burnt fine. I have reported that bug.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

you can check the md5sum of a cd directly by typing something like:

md5sum /dev/hdc

it should be the same md5sum as the iso file

if the cd was burned with extra padding bytes, that can change the md5sum of the cd ... also, there used to be a "read ahead" bug in the drivers, that would sometimes stop with an input/output error message ... i'm not sure, but that bug may have been fixed in Puppy's drivers

Billcnz

#13 Post by Billcnz »

Here's the md5's on a test burn:
sh-3.00# md5sum puppy-barebones-2.01r2.iso
e2bd76314293b42672d7fd28a322de9a puppy-barebones-2.01r2.iso
sh-3.00# md5sum /dev/hdc
e2bd76314293b42672d7fd28a322de9a /dev/hdc

Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the burned CD despite the "operation failed" message.

Bill