https://www.mediafire.com/file/1hgfd6be ... uclid2.iso
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(59.16 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
screenshot1.jpg
(81.19 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

ally

#2 Post by ally »

Last edited by ally on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

archive link

#3 Post by zagreb999 »

thank you ally

your link does not work?

greetings!

ally

#4 Post by ally »

sorry, fixed

:)

keniv

#5 Post by keniv »

Hello,
I thought I'd try your euclid2.iso as it looked quite small, it's based on debian 9 and I have not tried this and you said it was fast. I should explain my old laptop is very limited having only 800MHz and 320MB. I have a 60GB hdd formated to ntfs and I have the puppies I like manually frugally installed using grub4dos. I have it working but I think I have misunderstood how to make a savefile. Because the instructions said it had to be formatted as ext 1,2,3 or 4 I resized my hdd and made a small linux partition (sda2) of 1GB and formated it as ext3 and added changes.dat manually. This took some time to do. Initially changes.dat was written to but was not seen on reboot. I thought the reason for this was that sda2 was was not being mounted. I had included the path to this file in grub. I decided to delete changes.dat and use the program within euclid to make a savefile. This worked and changes.dat is mounted at boot up. Below is my grub entery.

Code: Select all

title PorteusDog (sda1/2euclid) 
root (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/2euclid/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/2euclid/ changes=/mnt/sda2/changes.dat 
initrd (hd0,0)/2euclid/live/initrd1.xz
This seemed to me to be quite an elabourate way to make a savefile and I began to wonder if I have done it the wrong way. Is it possible to make a savefile in the same way as that say in wary55, racy55, lucid5287 etc.?
I have not spent much time using it but it does seem not too bad for speed although, perhaps not surprisingly, it's a bit slower than the puppies mentioned above.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

I've solved the problem with the savefile. Have now got it working on the ntfs partition. Very like other puppies.

Thanks,

Ken.

zagreb999

#7 Post by zagreb999 »

regards keniv

icrease ram memory
--------------
mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,size=200%" tmpfs /mnt/live/memory/changes

add the line in /etc/rc.local, before the "exit 0"

-----------------------------------------------------
format partition of 4gb to fat32
install with unetbootin

after customization use quickremaster lz4

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Hi Everybody !
Regarding percentage use of Ram-size :
An Example how to put it in Grub4Dos menu.lst:

So looks mine :
kernel /TRINITYDOG9/live/vmlinuz1 from=/TRINITYDOG9 noauto forcepae changes=EXIT:/TRINITYDOG9/live/ ramsize=80%
initrd /TRINITYDOG9/live/initrd1.xz

Would suggest to have a look here , where Saintless gives some competent explanations on "Debian-Dog How To thread " about amount and use of Ram-Size :
See at the Bottom of the side 9:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 642#965642

Regards !
Last edited by backi on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#9 Post by backi »

Hi Zagreb!

Put Euclid2 live Folder on partition of Hard-Disk with frugal install .

Menu.lst:

title EUCLID - changes to /TEST/Porteus Boot
find --set-root /EUCLID/live/vmlinuz1
kernel /EUCLID/live/vmlinuz1 from=/EUCLID noauto changes=EXIT:/EUCLID/live/ ramsize=80%
initrd /EUCLID/live/initrd1.xz

Runs without any Problems.
Just want to ask you :
What different it makes to other Deb-Dogs 9 (Stretch ),what makes it special ?--apart from being fast....would help if you elaborate further on it.
It is not easy to recognize .
Anyway ....Thanks for your effort .

Regards from Germany !

backi

#10 Post by backi »

O.K .....
so it will be probably the UEFI boot option what makes the main Difference .

Regards Zagreb !

keniv

#11 Post by keniv »

zagreb999 wrote:regards keniv

icrease ram memory
--------------
mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,size=200%" tmpfs /mnt/live/memory/changes

add the line in /etc/rc.local, before the "exit 0"

-----------------------------------------------------
format partition of 4gb to fat32
install with unetbootin

after customization use quickremaster lz4
@zagreb999
I realiy would rather stick with booting using grub4dos. My other pups on this hdd are booted with this so I've tried backi's suggestion for setting the ram size.

@backi
I've tried various versions of your set up but the only one I can get to boot is the one I've attached. However I don't know if the ram is fixed at 80%. Is there a way of testing this? I've also attached an image showing where my savefile (changes.dat) is.

Regards,

Ken.

title Debian Dog Stretch (sda1/2euclid) 
root (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/2euclid/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/2euclid/ changes=EXIT:/2euclid/live/changes.dat ramsize=80% 
Attachments
2017-08-27-141930_780x220_scrot.png
/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/2euclid/live/
(21.04 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

fredx181

#12 Post by fredx181 »

title Debian Dog Stretch (sda1/2euclid)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/2euclid/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/2euclid/ changes=EXIT:/2euclid/live/changes.dat ramsize=80%
When using the above (with EXIT: parameter), the changes are in RAM and you can check with:

df -h /mnt/live/memory/changes
The outcome should be around 80% of your total RAM

Fred

backi

#13 Post by backi »

Hi Keniv !
I really would rather stick with booting using grub4dos.
Good idea....
@backi
I've tried various versions of your set up but the only one I can get to boot is the one I've attached. However I don't know if the ram is fixed at 80%. Is there a way of testing this? I've also attached an image showing where my savefile (changes.dat) is.
When you use " changes=EXIT:/2euclid/live/changes.dat " .....(instead of "changes=/mnt/sda2/changes.dat") as Fred showed above.....
that will give you the opportunity to save only on demand and load Save-File or Save-Folder to Ram.
This changes=EXIT:/
will make it possible not to save automatically......just on Demand....like you do in Puppy ....with Event-manager set save-intervals=0

I am using Save-Folder instead of Save-File (changes.dat)
My setup is for using a Save Folder instead of Save-File (changes.dat).....
to "Save only on Demand" with save2flash----- or "Save at Shutdown " if i like. ......just like in Puppy Linux .

I did not want you to use my menu.lst setup ..... .just wanted to show where to place the "ramsize=80%"

Regards!

keniv

#14 Post by keniv »

@fredx181,
When I run your code when runing a browser and using this forum this is what I get.

root@stretch:~# df -h /mnt/live/memory/changes
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           244M  3.1M  241M   2% /mnt/live/memory/changes
root@stretch:~# 
I assume this means that I have not managed to fix ram at 80%. However I'm a bit confused by this output. I am not using firefox as a browser. I have found with other pups that it is very slow on a low spec machine like this. I am using QtWeb. While this has limitations it is fast but I cannot believe it is only using 2% of my 320MB of memory. Am I doing something wrong here?

@ backi
.just wanted to show where to place the "ramsize=80%"
Does my"ramsize=80%" look to be in the correct place? Anywhere else I've tried placing it stops the changes.dat file being found. Is it possible to put it in another position in the entry I have for this in grub4dos?

Even If I don't get the ramsize working I think I'll stick with it. It's not that slow. I've not used debian befofe but I have used ubuntu. It seems like a cross between ubuntu and puppy.

Regards,

Ken.

saintless

#15 Post by saintless »

Your memory ramsize=80% works keniv. Without using ramsize= parameter you should get around 190 (60% of 320Mb RAM) instead 244.

Firefox, qtweb and any other programs RAM usage has nothing to do with the result from df -h command.
QtWeb uses your real RAM memory and you can see the usage from htop or top commands.
The result from df -h shows the space in your RAM for saving changes/data. It is going to change after QtWeb or Firefox start to increase the data size in /root/.mozilla folder (or what ever configuration folder QtWeb uses).

Toni

fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

I assume this means that I have not managed to fix ram at 80%. However I'm a bit confused by this output. I am not using firefox as a browser. I have found with other pups that it is very slow on a low spec machine like this. I am using QtWeb. While this has limitations it is fast but I cannot believe it is only using 2% of my 320MB of memory. Am I doing something wrong here?
There is some confusion about what this ramsize=... actually does.
It's not about the RAM used by programs, it's about the size of tmpfs (ramdisk), to clarify:
Say you didn't add ramsize=80%, then it would be the default 60% which is 192 (from 320 MB )
If you copy a file then with size 200 MB to e.g. /root then you're running out of space
If you copy the same 200 MB file to /root when you have booted with ramsize=80% , then you wouldn't run out of space. (because your tmpfs is 244 MB)

Btw, I wouldn't recommend the EXIT: parameter when you have so little RAM, installing a few programs makes it full very quickly.

Fred

keniv

#17 Post by keniv »

@fredx181,
Again thanks for the explaination. I have already removed the "EXIT". I noticed at boot up when the the changes.dat file was checked a lot was done before it was considered "clean". As this passes by fairly quickly I don't remember what it said. As the output of

is the same for both I removed EXIT. The changes.dat file does not seem to need a cleanup now. Also as I'm using an hdd I did not think the number of writes to it was as much of an issue as it might be using a flash drive.

regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#18 Post by fredx181 »

Not booting with the EXIT: , e.g. changes=/2euclid/live/changes.dat , that should show the size of your savefile changes.dat (but maybe not exactly)
But without changes=/.... (no save) it will show the TMPFS size (same as with EXIT: ,also running in TMPFS)

Fred

keniv

#19 Post by keniv »

@fredx181,
This is the output from

just now.

root@stretch:~# df -h /mnt/live/memory/changes
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0      628M  170M  413M  30% /mnt/live/memory/changes
root@stretch:~# 
I see what you mean. Easy to understand and could be useful. I thought when I tried it with and without "EXIT:" they were the same. My mistake.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#20 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
1. Can someone tell me how to fix the position of the desktop icons.
I have tried switching them from horizontal to vertical. However when l reboot I get a mixture of both. If I move them manually on rebooting they've moved back. I can't find a way to fix them in one position.
2. The above problem is trivial but this one is more of an issue. I have found after shutting down the machine seems to reboot. I have not seen it do this but I've come back to find it on twice. It only seems to happen with euclid. Has anyone else noticed this. I know some pups have had shutdown problems in the past but this is not the problem I have. It shutsdown then reboots.

Regards,

Ken.