How to use my Epson printer?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Thursdaycat

How to use my Epson printer?

#1 Post by Thursdaycat »

I am barely computer literate, I discover!

I found how to add the driver for my Epson printer, but after installing it, I am meant to run some commands.

Where? I cannot find out where I should type these commands. I'm tearing my hair out, thinking I must be missing something. I did try entering them in Console, but nothing happened, and printer remains inaccessible.

Any answers for me will have to be in baby spoonfuls: Linux makes no sense to me yet.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I've looked again, and this is the wrong forum. How do I delete?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What model Epson printer do you have?

What procedure are you using to install it? Provide specific details.

What commands are you trying to run?

Thursdaycat

#3 Post by Thursdaycat »

Thank you so much for for replying.

The printer is Epson SX435W, and I followed the instructions posted by yourself in Sept 06, last edited a week ago! (viewtopic/php?t=61885).

I have now succeeded: what I did not realize,and perhaps this might be included in a future edit, is that I had successfully installed it, BUT then should have closed down CUPS,gone to manage printers to reopen it and eventually pressed Administration, then Modify Printer and followed the steps.

Having done that, it worked fine.

BTW, I am most impressed with puppy-linux, and the amount of instruction and problem-solving assistance that is available. I tried Knoppix first, but puppy is much more user-friendly. I now have a working computer on a USB stick, with wifi and printer, to use as an alternative to XP on my 10 year-old laptop, now Microsoft have ended support. All I need to do now is update to the latest Firefox and I'm all set for secure browsing. But that can wait for another day!

Thanks, again.

Richard.

Thursdaycat

#4 Post by Thursdaycat »

And I've now got Firefox 28! - Though I had to start all over again, this time keeping the installed version as well to retain the use of CUPS.

Altogether, I am really pleased with Puppy-Linux (Slacko 5.7).

Thanks, again.

Richard