Gpptp enhancements for doing PIA VPN - [ New version ]

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rerwin

#31 Post by rerwin »

jafa,
Thanks for the info. If "usepeerdns is set to true by default in the puppy compiles", then the 'usepeerdns' in 'options' is not needed, so can be deleted from there. Right? Then I am out of ideas for pelican's problem with lupu 5.2.8.6.

However, I also suspected that my modified if-up file, that tests for pptp running, before changing resolv.conf, might be the culprit. But I see that gpptp does not use it, just saves and restores it so as to use its own versions of if-up. So, my if-up does not appear to be a factor.

I found, though, a possible hazard. If there is no prior if-up file present, gpptp's if-up then remains as the existing if-up. That could seemingly impact other ppp applications that do not expect one to be there. Maybe all applications do as gpptp does and always create their own if-up file. I guess I will assume that and not worry about if-up files in lupu.

Bottom line: I will only remove (EDIT: comment out) usepeerdns from /etc/ppp/options, so that static IP and DNS addresses will work. I have no way to test this, so rely on users for feedback with lupu. Could you try removing it in a test in any puppy, to verify that no harm to gpptp is done without it?

I am pleased to see Barry's endorsement of gpptp v2. Congratulations.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

jafadmin

#32 Post by jafadmin »

BarryK wrote:jafadmin,
just to let you know, I have updated to your latest:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00104

Thanks for sending me the source.
So good to hear from you, friend. I hope all is well. We have all missed you.

jafadmin

#33 Post by jafadmin »

rerwin wrote: Bottom line: I will only remove usepeerdns from /etc/ppp/options, so that static IP and DNS addresses will work. I have no way to test this, so rely on users for feedback with lupu. Could you try removing it in a test in any puppy, to verify that no harm to gpptp is done without it?
Yes, Richard, I have tested this. In fact, I renamed "options", "options.ORIGINAL" and it tested fine.

Since I'm not sure which apps use the "options" file, it might be prudent to just comment out that line, but leave it as a breadcrumb if someone needs to do some testing?

The native "ip-up" file is just a copy of the "ip-up-EXAMPLE" file.

[Edit]

Also, the "ip-up" file in /etc/ppp gets archived, replaced, then restored to original when the pptp session is concluded.

TJK

#34 Post by TJK »

This is the most recent thread that I could find on setting up PIA in puppy... and I've used the tutorial in msg#1 to try and get PIA working. I first tried installing Gpptp v2 on TahrPup32, but could not get it working. Since it had a lot of additional packages I tried installing by starting TP in RAM, but it still didn't work. Now I've installed lucid puppy 5.2 on a different machine, but still cannot get it working. (I had 5.2.8 working with the old version of Gpptp until recently.)

The details are: that I can start/run Gpptp and it states that a "VPN ppp0 - (pid xxxx) created. But when I test the connection the changes have not been made. Another check shows that "ip addr" is the same when Gpptp is connected or not.

jafadmin

#35 Post by jafadmin »

Hi TJK,

I just saw this. I'll download Tahr 6.0.5 and try it. I'll get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

jafadmin

#36 Post by jafadmin »

ok, I downloaded and ran an iso for Tahr 6.0.4. It had Gpptp v2.0 already installed, but it wouldn't work right. Here is what I did:

With Geany, open /etc/ppp/options.pptp, and un-comment line 43 (require-mppe-128)

Save and close. Try the connection again.

There is a short readme.odt in /etc/ppp/gpptp that has some info on saving id's and passwords, etc ...

If this didn't help, let us know

TJK

#37 Post by TJK »

Sorry, it took so long to respond. (I've been busy) I wanted to test in many scenarios -- I tried on two different comps with TahrPup frugal install and one TahrPup with pfix=ram. But still does not work. I thought it might have been a network/router issue, but then I was able to get PIA/Gpptp working on one of my comps with Puppy 5.2.8.
jafadmin wrote:ok, I downloaded and ran an iso for Tahr 6.0.4. It had Gpptp v2.0 already installed, but it wouldn't work right. Here is what I did:

With Geany, open /etc/ppp/options.pptp, and un-comment line 43 (require-mppe-128)

Save and close. Try the connection again.

There is a short readme.odt in /etc/ppp/gpptp that has some info on saving id's and passwords, etc ...

If this didn't help, let us know

jafadmin

#38 Post by jafadmin »

TJK wrote:Sorry, it took so long to respond. (I've been busy) I wanted to test in many scenarios -- I tried on two different comps with TahrPup frugal install and one TahrPup with pfix=ram. But still does not work. I thought it might have been a network/router issue, but then I was able to get PIA/Gpptp working on one of my comps with Puppy 5.2.8.
Let me know exactly which puppy tahr version you are using and I will download the ISO and test it.

TJK

#39 Post by TJK »

I've been testing on both tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso, and tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso, found at: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/
jafadmin wrote:
TJK wrote:Sorry, it took so long to respond. (I've been busy) I wanted to test in many scenarios -- I tried on two different comps with TahrPup frugal install and one TahrPup with pfix=ram. But still does not work. I thought it might have been a network/router issue, but then I was able to get PIA/Gpptp working on one of my comps with Puppy 5.2.8.
Let me know exactly which puppy tahr version you are using and I will download the ISO and test it.

jafadmin

#40 Post by jafadmin »

TJK wrote:I've been testing on both tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso, and tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso, found at: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/
jafadmin wrote:
I downloaded that ISO and booted it with no problem. I set up networking with no problem. Tested browser with no problem (I was able to get to this forum).

I edited "/etc/ppp/options.pptp" and un-commented line 43 and saved.

I started Gpptp and put in the PIA Seattle server name, my ID and password, and pressed "Connect", and it connected with no problem.

I checked my public IP address using "myip" which showed a legitimate routable IP address, and checked with the "ifconfig" command to make sure it showed a "ppp0" device.

I then started the browser and returned to this forum.

Everything worked as it should out of the box with the exception of editing the options.pptp file.

If you followed these steps, it should have worked for you too, unless there is something unique regarding your network setup that prohibits it.

Let us know about your network setup, and verify that you can get to the internet ok before starting Gpptp.

TJK

#41 Post by TJK »

I hate to prolong this. Thanks for all your help.
I know that I have an internet connection... but when Gpptp is "created" I don't even show a "ppp0" device (I'm doing some Googling on why no ppp0, but no answer so far)
jafadmin wrote:I checked my public IP address using "myip" which showed a legitimate routable IP address, and checked with the "ifconfig" command to make sure it showed a "ppp0" device.

Let us know about your network setup, and verify that you can get to the internet ok before starting Gpptp.

jafadmin

#42 Post by jafadmin »

You are going to have to give us more information if you want our help.

What type of network connection do you have? Ethernet? Wireless? Dialup, what?

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 and get a response?
Can you ping yahoo.com and get a response?
Did you edit the "/etc/ppp/options.pptp" file and uncomment line 43 and save before using Gpptp?
Are you testing from a fresh ISO, or did you install other apps before trying Gpptp?

Unless we know more about your specific setup we can help no further because we can't replicate the problem.

OscarTalks

#43 Post by OscarTalks »

Just wanted to report that Gpptp v2.0 is working fine with all the vpnbook servers.

In my Dpup Wheezy and Dpup Stretch remasters I have it working with the yaf-splash notifications. In Stretch I had to add the yaf-splash executable.

In my Slacko 5.7 remaster I added the Slacko patch and it is working with xmessage (gxmessage) notifications.

I added a symlink from the chosen icon in /etc/ppp/gpptp/icon into /usr/share/pixmaps and named the symlink as gpptp.png so that JWM displays the icon in the GUI window and tray button.
Attachments
gpptp.jpg
Working OK with the Default.route and notifications and icons
(92.94 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Oscar in England

jafadmin

#44 Post by jafadmin »

OscarTalks wrote:Just wanted to report that Gpptp v2.0 is working fine with all the vpnbook servers.
Sweet! Thanks for the update, @OscarTalks. Very good news!

jamesbond

#45 Post by jamesbond »

jaf, do you have the source tarball for this (with the patches if necessary)? I want to build and package it for Fatdog too. Thanks.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jafadmin

#46 Post by jafadmin »

jamesbond wrote:jaf, do you have the source tarball for this (with the patches if necessary)? I want to build and package it for Fatdog too. Thanks.
I'll PM you .. Aw heck, I'll just post it here for whoever. PM me with questions.

Patches were about some puppies shipping with bad 'pptp' binaries back in the day. all the newer ones seem ok. Fatdogs were Ok, I think. At least mine are working fine. Test before ship, myrite? 8)

Gotchas are the symlink to the 'ip" command (this is a limitation of the pptp path requirement) , yaf-splash (for alerts), and the options.pptp file being configured right.

Oh, and it needs to compile in gtk v2.0
Attachments
Gpptp-v2.0.build.tar.gz
(26.54 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

jamesbond

#47 Post by jamesbond »

It's done. Thanks to jafadmin,

Gpptp is now on Fatdog's repo, and works nicely (tested with vpnbook). It's also easy to setup pptp server - only a few steps to follow, but that's another topic.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jafadmin

#48 Post by jafadmin »

jamesbond wrote:It's done. Thanks to jafadmin,

Gpptp is now on Fatdog's repo, and works nicely (tested with vpnbook). It's also easy to setup pptp server - only a few steps to follow, but that's another topic.
Pure awesomeness, @jamesbond! 8)