Mtpaint .95 - no 'draw box' icons?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Mtpaint .95 - no 'draw box' icons?

#1 Post by Lobster »

I was using mtPaint and noticed that the draw box icons were not available

I uploaded vetrsion 0.9.7 (from the DotpUps (I am using Puppy 1.0.2)

[insert expletive!]

:oops:

Sorry about swearing I did not include - anyone else have this? - please help
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you used mPaint in any other version of Puppy and encountered the same problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

I just tried mtPaint 0.95 in a post-1.0.3 Pup and it does have ellipse and box icons. You have to draw a rectangle outline first, then click on one of the icons.

...i haven't tried 0.97 yet.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Ian wrote:Have you used mPaint in any other version of Puppy and encountered the same problem.
Not yet - I am too busy sobbing . . .

OK - will try that - the thing is the icons from ellipse to palette knife can not be selected)?
I am sure this is something new . . . My bare bones Puppy has been teleported to an unknown dimension. Puppy 1.03 is locked in a CD which I tried to power up to open - but Dr Who would not lend me his sonic screw driver - so no joy there . . . I do have a Pizza Puplet on standby . . .

Thanks guys - All I am trying to do is draw the ASQ interface . . .
I am using plan B at the moment . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

often, a cd drive has a tiny hole somewhere ... mine has one just under the tray

you can carefully push a paper clip in the hole to release the tray ... you may need to repeat the process a few times (depending if you are rotating a gear or moving a lever) ... when the tray opens slightly, you can pull it the rest of the way out

if there is no hole, you can often pry the tray open with a small screwdriver or knife

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardwar ... 85916.html

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Yes probably better than my plan for nitro glycerine . . .

It gently opened after a few prods (so to speak) and I was able to retrieve 1.0.3
which I am using.

Also mtpaint is exactly as Barry describes draw first and then click on icon - obvious really - NOT!

I did what is intuitive - click on an icon to draw

Where is that Mark Tyler? I wonder if he will mind changing his excellent program to accomodate my ignorance? :oops:

Thanks everyone :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Lobster wrote:<snip> ...mtpaint is exactly as Barry describes draw first and then click on icon - obvious really - NOT!

I did what is intuitive - click on an icon to draw

Where is that Mark Tyler? I wonder if he will mind changing his excellent program to accomodate my ignorance? :oops:

Thanks everyone :)
Funny you should mention that. I was just tinkering with the idea of creating a GUI using Qt. (Inspired by thumbing through a new book on the subject yesterday at Fry's Electronics.)
One of the big problems when creating a GUI has got to be determining how users will expect the thing to work. Unfortunately, people creating free software, including GUI front ends, mostly work without the resources to try out different ideas in order to find the best fit for how people expect the program to work. I guess it's quite a testament to the programmers that they get it right as often as they do.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Mtpaint - all feedback is good

#8 Post by Lobster »

Well said Flash

Usability and ergonomics depends on 'generic mapping'
This is why Macs are easy to use. It works as you expect. I do not spend all my time in mtpaint. I use it when I need it. I could not work out how the icons worked but I know how they should work.

It is the same when new users come to linux. People work for months to progam and then some upstart (aka end user) asks why it does not work according to their individual vision. Pah! Programming would be so easy if only end users were reasonable. :)

I am glad to say that Mark Tyler actually listens to us unreasonable ones . . . It is as far as I am concerned one of the great strengths of Linux. Go and give a program writer some feed back.

Also I feel everyone should have a go at programming. That will make you understand the talent, work and expertise required.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

True, Macs are famously easy to use. My point, which I see I left to the reader's imagination, is that they are easy to use because Apple has the resources to invite "focus groups" of newbies to use the computer while developers watch and take notes, with the aim of sussing out the most 'intuitive' design. A lone GUI programmer, on the other hand, initially has only his own presumptions of how the thing ought to work; what each button should do. That's where forums like this one come in. Done right, forums are an invaluable interface between developers and users. I'm really impressed that Barry is so active in the forum. He's obviously looking for the kind of feedback I'm talking about, and that can only be good for his Puppy.