Old Nokia 7310 supernova as GPRS modem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
tommy

Old Nokia 7310 supernova as GPRS modem

#1 Post by tommy »

Hi!
As I've found nothing nowhere about connecting a Nokia Supernova to Puppy, here's my happy experience. What to do:

Have Nokia phone configured for browsing with your provider;
In phone configuration options, choose 'Pc Suite' in USB cable connections;
Leave the phone turned on;
Boot Lupu 5.2.8; :)
Plug the phone to PC using standard micro USB cable;
Open a console and type dmesg to see the name assigned to Nokia phone modem (mine was set to /dev/ttyACM0 );
Run Internet connection wizard and choose 'Wireless GPRS modem';
Insert the correct device in modem name ( the dialog said 'your detected modem is /dev/ttyS0' but was wrong, the correct name was /dev/ttyACM0 as said before);
Insert correct APN (mine is an italian phone provider - ibox.tim.it);
Leave the default username and password
Remove phone PIN ( I don't know what it is for).
As phone number, *99***1# was right for me;
Save and run Menu -> Network -> Pgprs Connect.

Voilà I was online using my old phone as a gprs modem!! 8)

That was unexpectedly simple, really a plug-and-surf thing...!
Last edited by tommy on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

vicmz

#2 Post by vicmz »

I had a similar experience described here (it works for USB modems as well):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 421#747421

Note that an unlimited data plan is necessary to use a mobile as modem (some companies offer a practical pay-per-day plan), otherwise it would be way too expensive, even more expensive than a broadband cable subscription.

Note also that mobile phone connections are usually very slow for watching videos, listening to radio stations, playing online games, downloading large files, or loading pages with lots of photos (for example in Facebook or in photo galleries). Companies make it slow on purpose because it's meant to be for mobile sites (which don't need too much speed) and they offer separate, more expensive broadband USB modem (dongle) subscriptions for browsing from computers as well.

Intensive use of a mobile phone as modem makes the battery life shorter, you'll have to buy a new battery sooner than expected.

Basically it's OK for simple use and practical when on the move, but for intense browsing, consider hiring a local ISP, which is what I finally did.