Looking for a video editor

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
jacatone

Looking for a video editor

#1 Post by jacatone »

I'm using Carolina 1.2 and need a video splitter and joiner. Could someone recommend one?

Also, I'd like to have a program that'll convert various video files like .mkv, avi to a DVD.

Geoffrey

#2 Post by Geoffrey »

WOW built DVDStyler-2.1 for Wary as a standalone app, I tried it in Carolina, seems to work ok, repackaged it as a sfs with a menu entry, might be what your wanting.

DVDStyler-2.1.sfs

I'll see what I can find to edit vids with and post it here.

Edit, this avidemux-AIO-2.5.3-i486_009.sfs works for me appended two video files, cut a section from it, converted to mp4.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

built DVDStyler-2.1 for Wary as a standalone app, I tried it in Carolina, seems to work ok, repackaged it as a sfs with a menu entry
Seems to work ok under Slacko 5.3.3t also. Thanks Geof.

jacatone

#4 Post by jacatone »

How do you install these "sfs" files? I'm familar with .pet files but new to these.

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

jacatone wrote:How do you install these "sfs" files? I'm familar with .pet files but new to these.
In Carolina double click the sfs file, then select " Load it " next " Ok " then either "Copy" or "Move" the sfs to /mnt/home.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

rufwoof

Re: Looking for a video editor

#6 Post by rufwoof »

jacatone wrote:I'm using Carolina 1.2 and need a video splitter and joiner. Could someone recommend one?

Also, I'd like to have a program that'll convert various video files like .mkv, avi to a DVD.
OpenShot perhaps?

Is Carolina a fork of Slackware? I'm running Slacko 5.3.3t - 81MB ISO as a LiveCD. I have Openshot combined with Inkscape, Audacity and Blender all wrapped up into a single SFS - which might (???) be compatible (???).

Blender is needed by Openshot for creating 3D titles, you also have to have GL enabled (video/graphics drivers installed). Mesa might do for that for some cards - I however have NVidia. For animated titles you also need inkscape. For just editing however you can get away without all of those others.

MultiMedia.sfs is a sizeable 131MB download however.

My repository is located with GoogleDrive

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

If the multimedia sfs doesn't work for you under Carolina, perhaps just download and burn s533t.iso and run that as a liveCD (boot using puppy pfix=ram) and load the SFS into that. That's how I boot all of the time (never create a savefile and reboot fresh system each and every time).

There's no browser in that ISO, but there is a script in the HOME directory that wgets the latest Firefox (around a 30MB download).

In the repository there's also a firefox-portable (install it to your HDD and it settings persists across reboots), there's also a libre portable (Office) ... and a whole lot more.

Configured for a UK user - on screen keyboard, Libre dictionary, but those can be changed to your own locale (manually).

I'm on a reasonably fast internet (50Mb - 75Mb) and downloads are pretty quick. Some on slower connections however I believe can experience googledrive stopping and restarting downloads from the start again - so something to be wary of.

rufwoof

#7 Post by rufwoof »

Geoffrey wrote:
jacatone wrote:How do you install these "sfs" files? I'm familar with .pet files but new to these.
In Carolina double click the sfs file, then select " Load it " next " Ok " then either "Copy" or "Move" the sfs to /mnt/home.
In Slacko 5.3.3t you right-click and select the SFS-LOAD option. If you're running a LiveCD you can just select the NO COPY option to leave the file where it is. For frugal you'd probably want to let it copy the sfs to the /mnt/home directory.

LiveCD runs totally from CD and in memory. After booting the CD can even be removed to leave everything 100% in memory (RAM). But you can of course mount your HDD(s) and save/read data to/from them i.e. a good place to store any downloads before you reboot and lose them (assuming you want them available the next time you reboot the LiveCD). Or create a savefile as/when you shutdown.

rufwoof

#8 Post by rufwoof »

With OpenShot, you drag video and/or audio files from ROX (file manager) into the big white box area to the left of the video screen. You can then drag any one of those to the lower track(s) where you can cut/move them around (or mix them with other videos/audio tracks.

Then when you're done you click the red button near the top to EXPORT the final version. There's a whole range of choices that can be exported to.

Note sure how it might work with really big stuff though (editing a 2 hour film or whatever).
Attachments
dt.png
(121.31 KiB) Downloaded 627 times

Geoffrey

Re: Looking for a video editor

#9 Post by Geoffrey »

rufwoof wrote:Is Carolina a fork of Slackware?
Carolina is a fork of Saluki which is in turn based on Wary.
I have Openshot combined with Inkscape, Audacity and Blender all wrapped up into a single SFS - which might (???) be compatible (???).
Slacko binaries won't work in Carolina due to the GLIBC versions.

There is a Openshot, Inkscape, Audacity and Blender in the Carolina repo if it's not listed in the pets look in the sfs downloads, I think the Openshot was reported as being unstable though.

rufwoof

#10 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks. I still haven't become familiar with all the different versions.

Looking at DVDStyler a bit more, it looks like it crashes under Slacko when you drag a video file in. Running via a terminal to see what might have occurred resulted in the attached image (mostly meaningless to me, but thought I'd let you know).
Attachments
dt.png
(109.65 KiB) Downloaded 644 times

Pelo

Loaded SFS 13M avidemux-AIO-2.5.3-i486_009.sfs

#11 Post by Pelo »

Loaded SFS 13M avidemux-AIO-2.5.3-i486_009.sfs for Carolina. Will be tested to stick together demo Carolina videos.
Qt4 version launched.
Avidemux not found in package manager, so Sfs Loeded on the fly to stick together avidemux install, Thunar, Pet MTpaint load, SMplayer, GnomeMplayer and install of Parole, XFCE mediaplayer.
When finished, renamed Carolina and video registered in my tutorials You Tube
How-to install Parole and Avidemux Tutoriel video pour les français.
You can edit your videos with You Tube tools, but you must update your browser to last version, done with Firefox to version 45.0.2 in Carolina Puppet
Attachments
avidemux.jpg
Avidemux loaded as SFS Greyhound mixed adrv lina007
(55.13 KiB) Downloaded 163 times