Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
VLC 2.1.5 for Dpup Wheezy
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:03    Post subject:  VLC 2.1.5 for Dpup Wheezy
Subject description: Media Player - Also OK for Precise Puppy (?)

UPDATE - 05th August 2014
New version 2.1.5 compiled and uploaded.
Looking good, improvements include better handling of .mkv files.

Decided to try compiling VLC in Dpup Wheezy.
Wanted to make it "Standalone" so you can just install and use.
No need to install Qt

Needed Qt Core and Gui libraries along with a few other essential dependencies are included in "non path" directory /usr/share/vlc/libs
These are made available via rpath.

EDIT: 27th May 2014
Re-built and re-uploaded with Lua and several extra libraries.

I am no expert on all the functions of media players, but this one seems to be working for the tasks I would use it for.
Comments and observations welcome.
As always I am just tinkering and trying to learn.

Treat packages as being for testing purposes.
Always take the usual precautions before making any change to your system.
Download from:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
vlc1.jpg
 Description   VLC 2.1.4 compiled and running in Dpup Wheezy - Version is now 2.1.5
 Filesize   59.29 KB
 Viewed   2420 Time(s)

vlc1.jpg

Last edited by OscarTalks on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 13:39; edited 2 times in total
bruno

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2014, 18:04    Post subject:  VLC  

Nice work Oskar!
Works great on Wheezy 3.5.2.11, and it kept all the settings on the old VLC 2.0.5 that I had.

Very Happy
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2014, 13:42    Post subject: VLC 2.1.4
Subject description: tested in Precise 5.7.1

I don't know what the terminal result means but it's running fine in Precise 5.7.1 without Qt. Thank you OscarTalks.
Screenshot_2014-05-01_133750.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   90.77 KB
 Viewed   1877 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-05-01_133750.jpg

Hesse James

PostPosted: Wed 07 May 2014, 12:52    Post subject:  

Hi Oscar
Yours run pretty well on Slacko5.7 too (I prefer the SFS-Version).

I would like to ask you a question concerning your experience:
I intended to see if vlc is capable to use the vdpau acceleration as other media players. The vlc2.2-git version should be capable to do so. This needed a recent vdpau and ffmpeg. I used the following configure switches for vlc:
--enable-run-as-root --enable-vdpau --enable-alsa --enable-lirc
Which did you choose ?

And even more interesting: which LIBs did you install additionally prior to compilation? All recommended or only the ones that were demanded by the make process ?

Greetings
Christian
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 07 May 2014, 14:48    Post subject:  

Hello Christian,

This was my first attempt at compiling VLC but after the first day I did go back to it and added some of those extra libraries and re-compiled and re-uploaded. These included the a52 dolby, mpeg2, opus and a few others which seem quite obscure. I tried to use only static linking. I configured with lua disabled, not sure if that is bad. DejaVu Sans is named as default font, pulse and libnotify are disabled.
I didn't try to include vdpau support. Can this be linked in statically and does it not relate also to graphics drivers? Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg. Slacko has ffmpeg, so I would not expect this version to run without problems in Slacko (which has a recent VLC in the repo anyway).
It has played every media file I have thrown at it so far, but then MPlayer does that as well. At some point I will have another look at it and see if there are any improvements I can make. Thanks for your interest.

phredo

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 16:33    Post subject: h264?  

I installed the sfs file in Slacko 5.6 non-PAE. Most of the films I have are mp4, and when I tried to open several, I received the same message, "No suitable decoder module: VLC does not support the audio or video format "h264". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.," whereupon VLC proceeded to play the audio without any video.

Is there in fact a fix for this? Do others have this problem? I tried looking in the codecs section of the vlc preferences, and the h264 stuff was grayed out. I also tried vlc_full-2.0.3-i686.pet and had the same thing happen. Wink
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 19:07    Post subject:  

Hello phredo,

Sorry but I would not expect this VLC package to work properly in Slacko because some of the important libraries are different versions.

In Slacko 5.6 the Gnome-MPlayer should play your mp4 video files.
If it doesn't work you may need to install the fixed MPlayer which 01micko released.
I believe it is this one here:-
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko14/MPlayer-2013-08-30-i486.pet

There should be a couple of VLC versions available in Puppy Package Manager.
They probably need you to also install Qt or load the Qt .sfs package.
I think VLC 2.1.0 is in there so that is fairly recent and since it was compiled in Slacko most codecs should work.

phredo

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 19:44    Post subject:  

Thanks, Oscar. With the dependencies all the pups I found take up 300-400 megabytes. Except for the one I mentioned in my post, which is about the size I expect for vlc, but it had the problem with not playing mp4s.

Gnome-mplayer works fine, but there are some features in vlc that I like, such as the ability to play dvds.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 20:20    Post subject:  

@ phredo,

OK, so I took the VLC 2.1.0 and re-packaged it with the needed Qt libs and set rpath to find them.

Perhaps you would care to test this (taking usual precautions before installing) and tell me if it plays your files.

vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14
Uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
but I will probably take them down after you have grabbed them.

phredo

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2014, 12:42    Post subject:  

Thanaks, Oscar. I have to do something else for most of today, but I downloaded the files and will test them as soon as I can, maybe this evening.
phredo

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 19:33    Post subject:  

I tested your update in a ram bootup, so I'd be sure there weren't any extra files I might have picked up. Both the sfs and the pup worked great, although I only checked them with some mp4 and flv files. I also used vlc to open a DVD in iso form, and that worked also. VLC is one of the few media viewers I know of that can open an iso of a DVD just by loading the file.

It would be nice if that pup could be added to one of the repositories that Puppy Package Manager uses so others would find it. As far as I could tell, the other VLCs there had problems as well as requiring large dependency files. Of course, I'm pretty new with Puppy and linux in general, and don't really know what I'm doing most of the time.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2014, 15:14    Post subject:  

I have re-compiled and re-uploaded VLC 2.1.4 for Wheezy
with the following improvements:-

Added Live 555 support (appears in Preferences but not tested).

Added libebml and libmatroska so files such as .mkv now play properly.

EDIT: 27th May 2014
Re-built and re-uploaded with Lua and libdvbpsi added
Looking pretty good now.
The "no extensions module" error at start in console is now gone.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 20:17    Post subject:  

Code:
sh-3.00# vlc
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
[0x80c8270] main demux meta error: corrupt module: /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/meta_engine/libtaglib_plugin.so
[0x8051150] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80ee410] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[0x80ee410] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate qt4 dialogs provider
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.

what's this mean and how to fix? i lost vlc two flower installing smplayer and haven't been able to get a working vlc even after uninstalling/reinstalling everything, including trying to have the setup as it was prior to the smplayer installation.

seems pretty clear clear i've screwed something up...

thanks in advance.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 21:04    Post subject:  

Hello Puppus Dogfellow,

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. Is this in Wheezy? All I can tell you is that those plugins plug in (obviously) to the main vlc libraries as needed and then unless they are statically linked plugins they in turn will need to dynamically link to your other system libraries. If those other system libraries have got lost or corrupted then that might be why you are having problems and seeing errors. Try restoring any dependency files from the original .iso or pup_ro2 perhaps.

If you boot Wheezy with pfix=ram and install this VLC you should see that it runs quite well now. I get no errors at start, maybe a few grumbles when you start to play files depending on what they are, but I have tried several media file formats and audio CD's and so far everything has worked. I am no expert in all this though so maybe someone more experienced can shed some light.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 21:23    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Hello Puppus Dogfellow,

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. Is this in Wheezy? All I can tell you is that those plugins plug in (obviously) to the main vlc libraries as needed and then unless they are statically linked plugins they in turn will need to dynamically link to your other system libraries. If those other system libraries have got lost or corrupted then that might be why you are having problems and seeing errors. Try restoring any dependency files from the original .iso or pup_ro2 perhaps.

If you boot Wheezy with pfix=ram and install this VLC you should see that it runs quite well now. I get no errors at start, maybe a few grumbles when you start to play files depending on what they are, but I have tried several media file formats and audio CD's and so far everything has worked. I am no expert in all this though so maybe someone more experienced can shed some light.

i'm not at the machine at the moment but it's precise 5.5. sorry i forgot to include that detail.

for the record, it's working flawlessly in precise 5.7.1.

will check out your solutions a bit later. thanks for the quick reply, Oscar.

where's pup_ro2? i can't find it...

some separate issue isn't allowing me to mount the isos...

anyway, thanks for this. working well in 571 is enough; it's not like it was supposed to work in 5.5. Just figured i'd give it a try.
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: