VLC 2.1.6 for Dpup Wheezy

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:where's pup_ro2? i can't find it..
This may depend on the type of installation you have, but with live or frugal (which is what I normally use) you should have all the original virgin files under /initrd/pup_ro2

You can copy them out from there or alternatively deleting the overwritten files in the save-file under /initrd/pup_rw will restore by re-exposing the originals in pup_ro2 in the layered file system.

I did do a brief test of this VLC in Precise 5.7.1 myself and it seemed to be working. Glad you are finding the same. I believe Precise has the same libav (ffmpeg) version as Wheezy so that will help. Often stuff compiled in Wheezy will work in Precise but not the other way round because of glibc. I haven't seen this version of VLC for Precise anywhere so perhaps other Precise users would care to give it a test run also, but take the usual precautions if you do.
Oscar in England

Puppus Dogfellow

#17 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

OscarTalks wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:where's pup_ro2? i can't find it..
This may depend on the type of installation you have, but with live or frugal (which is what I normally use) you should have all the original virgin files under /initrd/pup_ro2

You can copy them out from there or alternatively deleting the overwritten files in the save-file under /initrd/pup_rw will restore by re-exposing the originals in pup_ro2 in the layered file system.

I did do a brief test of this VLC in Precise 5.7.1 myself and it seemed to be working. Glad you are finding the same. I believe Precise has the same libav (ffmpeg) version as Wheezy so that will help. Often stuff compiled in Wheezy will work in Precise but not the other way round because of glibc. I haven't seen this version of VLC for Precise anywhere so perhaps other Precise users would care to give it a test run also, but take the usual precautions if you do.
so how messed up is it that i haven't got vlc stuff under _ro2? there was a little bit under _ro4. can you explain what the various _ro directories mean/are? thanks in advance.

at this point, "perfecting" this 5.5. set up with my preference for vlc over smplayer isn't a big deal--it works well enough and your vlc is on my "audio player computer" anyway. and now that i know i can hook up my modded-on-ebay (someone was cheaply putting large hard drives in old models a while back and i grabbed a few) zen nomad players to puppy, i have yet another way to access my music library on this machine, so this is as much for educational as practical purposes. i figured i should start asking questions rather than copying and linking what i could find... but it did occur to me to ask something that may be both practical and educational: is there a file or directory i could just copy from the 5.7.1 machine that can run it to the 5.5. machine that can't?

also, i'm loath sometimes to simply reboot, so i might be wasting your time with something that can be solved very easily and apologize in advance for possibly wasting your time.

anyway, thanks for all the stuff i've gotten from you, OscarTalks. it's quite a bit, actually.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sat 31 May 2014, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

Well, I would not expect to see VLC files in pup_ro2 because that is just the original .iso of the Pup. The ones like pup_ro4 are probably your .sfs packages that are loaded. The pup_rw is the save-file which is the top layer I think. This may all depend on your pupmode though.

I was thinking more about the libs that VLC is trying to link to. If you have previously installed something which has overwritten a good lib with a bad one and it is still stuck in there you can restore easily because the good one is always in there in pup_ro2 (it has to be). This would be a bad file covering up a good file of the same name in the layers, so for example, good libxyz in pup_ro2 can be restored by deleting the bad libxyz from pup_rw or by copying the good libxyz from pup_ro2 out into the main system tree.

One of your errors mentioned libtaglib_plugin.so which links to libtag.so.1 in the system so there is one lib to look at for starters to see if it has got lost or corrupted.
Oscar in England

Puppus Dogfellow

#19 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

OscarTalks wrote:Well, I would not expect to see VLC files in pup_ro2 because that is just the original .iso of the Pup. The ones like pup_ro4 are probably your .sfs packages that are loaded. The pup_rw is the save-file which is the top layer I think. This may all depend on your pupmode though.

I was thinking more about the libs that VLC is trying to link to. If you have previously installed something which has overwritten a good lib with a bad one and it is still stuck in there you can restore easily because the good one is always in there in pup_ro2 (it has to be). This would be a bad file covering up a good file of the same name in the layers, so for example, good libxyz in pup_ro2 can be restored by deleting the bad libxyz from pup_rw or by copying the good libxyz from pup_ro2 out into the main system tree.

One of your errors mentioned libtaglib_plugin.so which links to libtag.so.1 in the system so there is one lib to look at for starters to see if it has got lost or corrupted.
thanks. that clears it up quite a bit.

OscarTalks

#20 Post by OscarTalks »

I have compiled and uploaded version 2.1.5
Improvements include better handling of .mkv files.
Seems to work very well.
See first post.
Oscar in England

Lil_humpers

Thanks

#21 Post by Lil_humpers »

OscarTalks wrote:I have compiled and uploaded version 2.1.5
Improvements include better handling of .mkv files.
Seems to work very well.
See first post.

Thanks for all your work. I generally check your threads for new apps and I am very appreciative of the files you do post...skype, deadbeef, VLC and your browsers.

Thanks!

vicmz

VLC 2.1.5 in Precise

#22 Post by vicmz »

I'm using it in OpenBox Precise, the only difference with Precise 571 is the Woof-CE scripts and updated Puppy apps, so we could say it works OK for Precise as well.

Mmm... now that I remember, sound was muted at first, only for VLC. I had to set my sound device because audio was set to "Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)". In the VLC window I clicked Tools > Preferences and in Audio I specified ALSA as output module and Intel ICH4 Default Audio Device as preferred output device. I don't remember to have had to do it with the previous package in Precise 571, it could be something in my derivative. Also, Intel ICH4 is part of my hardware (IBM Pentium 4), sound cards/devices may be different in other hardware.

Anyway, this got VLC to produce sound, and I saved it to my personal vlc configuration files, which I copy to /root/.config/vlc after installing, starting and closing VLC for the first time--quicker than setting my keyboard shortcuts and other stuff from the beginning.

BTW, for those interested, the stream in the screenshot below is BBC Radio 1, click Media > Open Network Stream (or press CTRL+N), paste the following URL and click the Play button:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r1.asx

***EDIT***
I've tested the VLC 2.1.5 PET both in Precise 571 and OBprecise 140726 as fresh RAM sessions. In both cases sound did work OOTB. Apparently I did some tricky configs that I don't remember now, but in case anyone has VLC muted the solution described above may help.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.58.40.jpg
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 1405 times
Screenshot_2014-08-08_10.29.18.jpg
(37.98 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times
Last edited by vicmz on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 00:51, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Lil_humpers

Re: VLC 2.1.5 in Precise

#23 Post by Lil_humpers »

[quote="vicmz"]

Mmm... now that I remember, sound was muted at first, only for VLC. I had to set my sound device because audio was set to "Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)". In the VLC window I clicked Tools > Preferences and in Audio I specified ALSA as output module and Intel CH4 Default Audio Device as preferred output device. I don't remember to have had to do it with the previous package in Precise 571, it could be something in my derivative.

Illutorium

#24 Post by Illutorium »

I have a problem for Compile at VLC v3 (for FatDog64):

Compiles - "Compiles..."
[strike]But I am sure that's not a GUI as be can (That's will be turn on Command instead or When I will be use a VLC 2.2 instead?)...[/strike]

Update (11/11/2014): I will be compile with qt4.sfs (with dev' profiles) instead.

Now it's a command: ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-fatdog-linux --with-x --enable-run-as-root --enable-faad --enable-bluray --enable-fluidsynth --disable-dbus --disable-lua --disable-dc1394 --disable-dv1394 --disable-live555 --disable-nls --enable-rpi-omxil 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/opt/qt4/lib64/pkgconfig'

(with "make install-strip")

Now VLC GIT for FatDog64 is here -> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

When if you want check builds command then you can use at "vlc -vvv"

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

VLC 2.2.0 has been released. I did try compiling it in Dpup Wheezy but it looks like some libraries are too old or something. It certainly needs newer libdvdread and libdvdnav but even when I update those I still get an error.

They have also released version 2.1.6 on the same day and that one compiles OK so I have added a few more of the plugins including fluidsynth and this version is uploaded as .pet and .sfs

See first post.
Attachments
vlc216.jpg
VLC 2.1.6 in Dpup Wheezy
(63.12 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
Oscar in England

Hesse James

#26 Post by Hesse James »

Good morning Oscar
Thanks for the hint with VLC 2.2.0 being released. I downloaded it yesterday evening. Due to my investigations of some nightly-builds during the last weeks it was no supprise that 2.2.0 compiled ok. After a quick test I could not detect any problems so far (MP3, H.264).
I use latest Tahr build (6.0.2) with removed VLC and QT4.8.6 and added QT4.8.5 from Scabz (QT headers in DEVX modified too).
I overtook the configure parameters below from the Tahr-build VLC 2.1.4 (stems from Ubuntu repository -> therefor the complexity) and modified it if necessary (amount has to be reinvestigated). Of course a lot of libs had to be renewed by me prior to a successful build.
Good luck to your build attempts on Wheezy.
Christian

./configure '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man' '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' '--localstatedir=/var' '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--build=i686-linux-gnu' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro' '--config-cache' '--disable-maintainer-mode' '--disable-silent-rules' '--enable-update-check' '--enable-fast-install' '--prefix=/usr' '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/vlc-nox' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--with-binary-version=0ubuntu14.04.1' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-bluray' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-caca' '--enable-chromaprint' '--enable-dbus' '--enable-dca' '--enable-directfb' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-fluidsynth' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-jack' '--enable-kate' '--enable-libass' '--enable-freerdp' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-libxml2' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-live555' '--enable-mad' '--enable-mkv' '--disable-mod' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-mtp' '--enable-mux_ogg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-notify' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-opus' '--disable-oss' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-qt' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-samplerate' '--enable-schroedinger' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-sftp' '--enable-shout' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-smbclient' '--enable-speex' '--enable-svg' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-theora' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-upnp' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-x264' '--enable-zvbi' '--disable-decklink' '--enable-dxva2' '--disable-fdkaac' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--disable-goom' '--disable-opencv' '--disable-projectm' '--disable-sndio' '--disable-telx' '--disable-vsxu' '--disable-wasapi' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-atmo' '--enable-dc1394' '--enable-dv1394' '--enable-linsys' '--enable-omxil' '--disable-udev' '--disable-libva' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-crystalhd' '--enable-mmx' '--enable-sse' '--disable-neon' '--disable-altivec' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' '--disable-gst-decode' '--enable-xvideo' '--enable-run-as-root' '--enable-vdpau' '--disable-static' '--enable-x265' '--disable-mfx'

Lil_humpers

VLC 2.16 for Dpup wheezy

#27 Post by Lil_humpers »

VLC 2.16 works in all the following

LX Wheezy 14.02

LX Precise Retro versions 14 and 15 after installing VLC 2.08 from package manager and then upgrade

bruno

#28 Post by bruno »

Working great in Wheezy 3.5.2.11
thanks Oscar

vicmz

#29 Post by vicmz »

Version 2.1.6 works in Precise. Some videos do not display subtitles, but I confirmed that this is because of the video file and not VLC.

A note for those who'd like to use the video conversion suite, at least in Precise it does not work. For that purpose use either FFConvert or the old VLC 2.0.5 Two Flower PET from quickpet_precise + qt4.8.2.sfs which work OK for video conversion.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

8-bit

#30 Post by 8-bit »

I have Puppy Unicorn as a full install on a 30gig USB hard drive.
Recently, I went to play a children's video 1.5 hours in length that had a web extension.
VLC started to play it and about half way through, VLC shut down and icons started disappearing from the desktop as well as the 29gigs of free space on the drive according to a desktop app turned red.
I had to manually shut down as the usual methods of shutting down did not work including alt-ctrl-bkspace.
I booted to another version of linux on my hard drive and did a file system check of the unmounted USB hard drive linux partition and it came up clean.
So what happened to cause this? Buffer Overflow in VLC?
Do not know. Just a guess.

OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Without having your setup in front of me it is difficult to troubleshoot and I can really only offer speculation and guesswork.

What I would say is that this VLC was compiled from source in Dpup Wheezy so will be linked against the libraries in that distro. Some of the plugins are statically linked but stuff like the libav/ffmpeg libs probably won't be. I would expect some of the libs in Unicorn to be different. Precise was quite close to Wheezy so most of the stuff works in that. With other pups it is highly experimental and even more important to take precautions as mentioned in the first post.

Does Puppy Unicorn have its own VLC and were you using that?

If you were downloading or streaming a video over a dodgy web link it is possible that you were also downloading a stack of other data which filled up the partition and shut you down.
Oscar in England

8-bit

#32 Post by 8-bit »

The version of Unicorn Puppy I am using was compiled by Barry K and VLC was included in it. So I would have assumed that Barry compiled VLC for that flavor. As to the WEB extension on the file that was downloaded using GTK_Youtube_Viewer and I had added it.
I am unsure of what type of file a WEB file is as to if it is a streaming file or more like an MP3 file.
But for the file to crash VLC and also Unicorn Puppy to the extent it did, I am playing that video no more and have deleted it.

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:@ phredo,

OK, so I took the VLC 2.1.0 and re-packaged it with the needed Qt libs and set rpath to find them.

Perhaps you would care to test this (taking usual precautions before installing) and tell me if it plays your files.

vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14
Uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
but I will probably take them down after you have grabbed them.
Hi Oscar - is this pet still available? I have exactly the same issue that phredo had and would be keen to try this solution if available. cheers!

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello greengeek,

The package is still in my smokey01 space as .sfs but not sure if you need .pet or if you can convert. I didn't compile the original vlc package for this, it was in the Slacko repos somewhere. I just added the Qt to make it work without that dependency. It should play most of the common formats but not sure about the latest ones like hevc/h265. My latest gmplayer builds will play those very well so long as you enable multiple CPU cores.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Oscar. That sfs did the trick. I must have overlooked it as I was originally looking for a pet. MP4s now playing without issues. I will convert the sfs and be happy as Larry. cheers!