Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Dec 2014, 17:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
QEMU Launcher + 32 bit QEMU pet and sfs
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 11:36    Post_subject:  

dang mild dyslexia pops up again. My drivers ed teacher in high school grabbed my hands and rote left and right on the back of my hands so I would recall under pressure which was which... Suprised my nickname was not "YOUR OTHER LEFT". Laughing
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 12:25    Post_subject:  

That's ko I standerund....

by the way house hunting too as well as multiple topics Very Happy

spell chequers are for whiches

mike
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 12:45    Post_subject:  

house hunting.. How about building your own house... The preplaning is a nightmare you have nobody but yourself to blame if it becomes a poorly functional house. But I do plan to get around that by having roof supported of outside columns so major redos are not worried if that is a load baring wall no wall will be!
Also think major home divisions sould be non permanent if the hall is to small move the wall etc.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 13:36    Post_subject:  

House building...check out UK land prices...not an option.

Ok back to topic.

Booted LHP 64 ...... version 6.0.2

Added dummy qemu so gui ran...not getting that error message with the number , shmfs handled and resized correctly.
Did find a problem with the modprobe of kvm...it wanted a space before the comment # ...not sure if thats related as it did not produce any error just failed to load kvm.ko....fine once altered.

In other words its behaving exactly the same as in my olde pup and the command line looks healthy.
Not sure what to suggest as could not reproduce the problem. I will amend the kvm modprobe line.

Ok next bit is whinge time.

I did try to use the (90% oversized) qemu 2.0.0 sfs since kvm was loaded and all seemed ok...
After going through the confusing LHP 64 rox and context menu (those icons are awful) i selected the even more confusing sfs loader ... it seemed to load but qemu was not inserted.... retrying said already loaded and unloading is not an option (!!!!!!!!!)

I am posting on it using firefox which keeps annoying me with update popups and has awful tiny crappy fonts still after years of solutions being around this forum

If this is the standard of recent pups then I am sure its fine for the devs but from a users point of view there is NOTHING friendly about it.

And really does a system have to guzzle 10% cpu on a dual core doing nothing?

Windows 7 works better in several respects on the same machine.

winge over Very Happy

yours slightly peeved and confused

mike
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 13:54    Post_subject:  

UK you say... funny the building material is based on a UK lime rich cement that has the same ratios as the pre Mayan limecrete I am going to use. But here its wall material and over across the pond its used for flooring. Was thinking about a trip to Lincoln UK where it is common to see it as a floor. No too many examples of a good floors here.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 14:03    Post_subject:  

Hmm lots of chalk in the uk...might be a reason.

I did assist with some straw bale construction when in France ... interesting technique for a fast build.

winge part 2.... why are only ugly or REALLY ugly GTK themes offered in pup land? Not like there is not a huge choice of really appealing ones...beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but those glass buttons look really cheapo...

On windows 7 now and my eyes are happy ....

mike
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 14:10    Post_subject: QEMU Works!!! matching the Guide w/FD/LH64 usage  

Update on QEMU Launcher
I finally took down one of my LH64 machine which has been running for months. I rebooted pristine (this is boot-time option 2 "Lighthouse without a save file"). I am happy to report, that I am now getting the same results that I got in the FATDOG report I provided earlier. So, my problem in my LH64 with save-session is probably something added after initial Mariner boot.

Thanks @MikeB. This is a real gem. As it makes easy, straight-forward, and simple, booting a Guest on the 64bit systems, tested. And, it also works for those 32bit users as well.

On your Lighthouse64 issues, let me share how I have used and tested in the past with ANY 64bit SFSs. LH64 does something I have NOT seen in other PUPs. It will load ANY SFSs that it has available on the Live disc at boot-time...under your selection control, of course.

So, before booting, I have opened ISO master, added the SFSs and saved which creates a new ISO with the SFSs enclosed. Creating media/booting that ISO, I choose which I want included in the running desktop and at desktop arrival ALL selections are included.

This is a feature to ease understanding and inclusion of SFSs that LH64 employs.

There are also all of the "classic" SFS processing available as well, but, I have not used them in years in LH64.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I can see your views on the LH64 desktop, but, over the years, I have continue to use it.

There are some other nifty things in that desktop that you will discover as you proceed, lifting the hood, so to speak.

Thanks for your assistance in guiding me thru this to solution.

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 14:40    Post_subject:  

Yes well I retained the load sfs automatically...its how it was when I first used puppy and was a 'no brainer'

sfs load was a,confusing and b, failed to do the job which was frustrating.

Ok cannot get access to update the pet at the moment but the fixed line in question is
[ ! "`lsmod | grep kvm`" ]&& modprobe kvm 2>/dev/null # major=250

I moved the # !! ... that should mean kvm loads and emulation can run at full speeds.

If all seems happy we could look at such as vnc working next

mike
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 15:10    Post_subject:  

yeah... rain break.. will be indoors for the next day or so. forecast for some Texas famous gully washers tonight and tomorrow so I will have time to play indoors on my computer. Finally got caughtup on my things to due outside which is great had a bad spell of muscle weekness the last 6 weeks and was worried if I was going to be able to walk well again.
So I plan on getting my hands dirty playing in puppy and fatdog64 stuff will you be online tomorrow to answer questions have not been successful with QEMU on one box but I have not put much effort into it to figure out why.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 16:15    Post_subject:  

Ok updated pet to fix kvm module loading

Note... all done on windows 7 Wink

mike
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 16:37    Post_subject:  

Lol I did strawbale as well and that was my first choice for my land even got my Strawbale book signed by the Author and toured mulitple houses under construction in central Texas..
Got the bales for a small started cabin and came down with a persistent flu like problems and had a series of tests and learned I was very allergy to a type of mold commonly found in straw. That dream gone so I turned to earthblock had my soil tested ( really good for this use ) and took classes there I talked to the guy about the roof method I am going to use. Since he taught classes for that in Mexico. But I also have a rare type of soil ( earthblock guy said was around here ) that reacted violently when exposed to water.. Mentos in diet soda like.
Dream not totally busted I can still use the earthblocks inside and the natural color was very beautiful would make a fireplace and accent wall out of the earthblocks.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 17:16    Post_subject:  

http://pc.blogspot.com/2010/12/chapel-lomas-de-cuernavaca-by-felix.html
this is a link to type of Mexican roof I speak. The methods are the same but for smaller scale and far less costly materials I wrote software to model these forms of roofs with puppylinux and know fatdog64
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 17:50    Post_subject: Launcher simple instructions  

Hello @Ted Dog and anyone who find this a useful approach. Tested with LH64 & FD.
Quick Steps: With your LH64 all you really need to do with this
  1. Install the QEMU Pet of your choice
  2. Install this Launcher
  3. Launch
  4. Give an ISO path, set RAM, Run ...
Watch your ISO boot. That's all folks!
Edit: Insure that the KVM checkbox is checked!

Here to help

Edited_times_total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 17:52    Post_subject:  

nice looks easy.. But mikeb said he updated it but do not see a download link does it exist somewhere?
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 18:10    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
... see a download link does it exist somewhere?
See the opening post

Here to help

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum