Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 03:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
A SAVE-session to directory option added for PUPs [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 24 [353 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun 2014, 21:00    Post subject:  

gcmartin,

What to do with all those floppies.
http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/10-ways-to-reuse-3-5%E2%80%B3-floppy-disks/

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 01:55    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
So, I have no idea what is deleting the appropriate ".wh." file on your system. gyro

It was a pristine manual frugal install of shinobar's iso but with the ydrv updated with the latest version...nothing else installed.

There were some other oddities to do with sfs files - on 1st reboot you get asked if you want the ydrv loaded - even though it already is.

Then sfs-on-the-fly could not "see" an sfs in the frugal install folder (actually a symlink to an sfs) and would not load it. It did load OK if clicked directly rather than using sfs-load-on-the-fly. This (putting a symlink for an sfs into the frugal folder) works fine for "standard" Slacko.

Cheers
peebee

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 02:47    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:

There were some other oddities to do with sfs files - on 1st reboot you get asked if you want the ydrv loaded - even though it already is.

As I mentioned earlier it needs this change
Also another couple of apps can not handle a/ydrv and need this

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 03:18    Post subject: Re: slacko-5.7-01-pupsave-dir.iso  

shinobar wrote:

This does not intend to make a derivative. Just for precise test of the new concept of the pupsave to a directory and the new user interface to make the pupsave.
If you already have slacko-5.7 in your HDD, boot off the CD with RAM mode, or it does not work as expected.

You can do actual test, and can still use 'shutdownmock' for dummy test.
Examples:
# shutdownmock ram
# shutdownmock cd
# shutdownmock sda2
# shutdownmock acpi ram
# shutdownmock --cli cd
etc.

It is not remastered. It has ydrv_slacko_5.7.sfs in it for ease to see the differences from the original. some made by gyro and some by shinobar.
The initrd.gz is patched by gyro, and i shinobar add another patch because it did not read the Puppy SFS on USB media:
#140427 shinobar: search on usb if PUPSFS is on cd
#140508 gyro: save-directory
The boot loader of the CD is replaced by Grub4Dos instead of the original isolinux for ease to boot with RAM mode.

I think from these statements this is not a full working version of Slacko. Just one that will let you test the new shutdownconfig and save options.

I would only use it to do those tests.

shinobar correct me if that is not true.

gyro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 04:25    Post subject:  

Well, at least ydrv support is getting a good testing.

@mavrothal, sometime ago I rejected your proposal that a remastered puppy was required. Unfortunately I naively assumed that ydrv was fully supported. Looks like we may need to ditch the ydrv and produce at least a patched puppy_slacko_5.7.sfs.

gyro
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 04:54    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
So, I have no idea what is deleting the appropriate ".wh." file on your system.

I'm bothered by .wh files. I don't like the error messages I saw once when remastering slacko. Are .wh files something to do with correcting problems with layering? Could puppy be made to run without .wh files?
I don't like .wh files.
Sad
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 05:16    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
Looks like we may need to ditch the ydrv and produce at least a patched puppy_slacko_5.7.sfs.

Yep.
Or just include the indicated additional changes in the ydrv.

Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 05:31    Post subject:  

Hi greengeek and those who know,

My technical knowledge is near zero (even negative) but, I seem to recall reading that whiteouts are merely a means of hiding files/folders in a display and that they are entirely removed upon remastering?

My regards
gyro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 05:43    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Could you please tell me how to get the patched sources for these files, and I will create a new ydrv.

I just unsquashed puppy_slacko_5.7.sfs and shinobar's ydrv_slacko_5.7.sfs. Moved everything from the ydrv into puppy_slacko, Then straight mksquashfs. This works fine, but it's huge, 186MB. I wanted to avoid this. It would take a long time for me to upload such a file.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 07:25    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Then sfs-on-the-fly could not "see" an sfs in the frugal install folder (actually a symlink to an sfs) and would not load it.
It actually is not related to it being a symlink. The problem is that "sfs_load" does not find the frugal install folder, if a "save directory" called just "slackosave" is being used.

@shinobar
Line 1876 of "sfs_load" in Slacko 5.7,
Code:
  SAVEFILE=$(echo $PUPSAVE| cut -sd',' -f3| grep '\.') # PUPMODE=6 or 77 have not '.'
assumes that in pupmode=12, a save file name contains '.'. If the "save file" happens to be a "save directory" called "slackosave", this assumption is false, and $SAVEFILE is empty. Removing "| grep '\.'" from the line allows "sfs_load" to find the frugal install folder in pupmode=12, but I have no idea if it ruins "sfs_load" in other situations.

gyro
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 07:44    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
This works fine, but it's huge, 186MB. I wanted to avoid this. It would take a long time for me to upload such a file.
gyro

Why not make a delta file to be applied to the Slacko iso.....although this will not show the changes being made like the ydrv.sfs does if opened.....

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 09:53    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Could you please tell me how to get the patched sources for these files, and I will create a new ydrv.

Code:
git clone https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE.git
cd woof-CE
git checkout testing

The files are in their respective place woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 15:50    Post subject:  

@Shinobar and @Gyro, might you, again, consider joining WOOF-CE. @Mavrothal has appealed outside of this thread for membership.

Reason: It would allow the contributions you are developing a "slam-dunk" contribution to the overall PUPPY structure versus needed a WOOF-CE person to the mediator for this contribution's entry into PUPPY system builds.

This will NOT affect the testing we do, or the discussion, but would certainly place you in position for things to move easily into and out of the main-branch. Thus, a win-win!

No responses required by anyone to this post!

Here to help

gyro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 22:11    Post subject: updated version of ydrv_slacko_5.7.sfs  

@mavrothal
Thanks for the code to acess git, I've downloaded it.

@shinobar
Apologies for my hacking of your "sfs_load". It's just to demonstrate where the difficulty is.

@peebee
Creating deltas is a technology I'm not familiar with. Hence the new ydrv.

I've uploaded a new version of the slacko ydrv to http://www.fishprogs.info/puppy/slacko/ydrv_slacko_5.7.sfs.
I started with shinobar's latest ydrv, and replaced/addded the following:
From woof-ce:
bootflash
bootmanager
puppyinstaller
removepreview.sh
And a patched sfs_load, hacked by me.

Note: It might work in PAE slacko, if you just rename it.

gyro
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 23:27    Post subject:  

Quote:
From woof-ce:
bootflash
bootmanager
puppyinstaller
removepreview.sh
Just to let you know that today's 666philb's Tahr Puppy 5.8.0.8 has all the latest changes in woof-CE including support in the init and the scripts discussed in this thread for savefolder and a/ydrv!
All is missing is shinobar's shutdownconfig.
So if a pet is provided will be much easier to test and much closer to woof (so hopefully next Tahr puppy will include it Wink ).

So please use this new puppy for further savefolder development. Will help developing this new puppy and make my life easier Laughing
Of course as gcmartin said would be much easier if you provide woof-CE pull requests Wink
For example a cleaned up version (ie without the mock-related code and the saveconfig redirection) of shino's shutdownconfig would be a nice pull... Wink Wink
Then adding the savefileconfig part as a pet would be up to the developer but at least the full savefolder functionality will be provided in woof.

Page 22 of 24 [353 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: