Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 27 May 2017, 02:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
boycott systemd
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 24 of 26 [381 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov 2015, 18:37    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
That's what responsible, well-minded, well-dressed developers do. They deactivate the crap, because they care about me, the user. Compare this to what you'll see in any other Puppy ...

Not that I think will change anything, but you might want to check a puppy too.
Not even that, just check the script in woof-CE.

anikin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 05:06    Post subject:  

The script in Woof-CE *testing* says:
Quote:
33a48d0 26 days ago
@dimkr dimkr Disabled ipinfo's querying by default
I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups? I posted this earlier in another thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=796461#796461 It shows an earlier version of Slacko saying hello to icanhazip. Has that changed?
switch.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   25.71 KB
 Viewed   725 Time(s)

switch.jpeg

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 05:48    Post subject:  

Just for the record, Quirky has used eudev almost from its inception.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 06:28    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
The script in Woof-CE *testing* says:
Quote:
33a48d0 26 days ago
@dimkr dimkr Disabled ipinfo's querying by default
I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups?

That would not be too difficult to check if you were really interested. Would it?

anikin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 07:15    Post subject:  

Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... I know, I shouldn't bring this up, should stay above pettiness ... but so much emotional energy has been expended on What and Why?! It should've never been an issue in the first place. That's a welcome and long overdue step, if I were you, I'd make a separate announcement ... OK, let's move on, I'm not here to point a finger. Get it out *completely* from the GUI - it has no business being there. The benevolent dictator of Slackware, that Micko is referring to doesn't have it and with good reason.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 07:52    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... (snip - emphasis, mine).

No you didn't. You are a pathetic troll, way worse than those that you accuse of being trolls. Either apologise or step off.

UPDATE: It is not I who needs the apology. Think about that before you bleat.

anikin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:16    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
anikin wrote:
Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... (snip - emphasis, mine).
No you didn't. You are a pathetic troll, way worse than those that you accuse of being trolls. Either apologise or step off.

Learn to lose gracefully, little chap. I don't have to prove anything to you. You screwed it, acknowledge defeat and suck it up before clinching a tiny fist.

*icanhazip is indefensible* - I warned both of you a long time ago, you didn't listen.
cimarron

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:40    Post subject:  

Thanks for the good news about Slackware. They sound committed to offering a real alternative to systemd. If Mint is eventually forced to follow Debian's path, I'll look for a Slackware-based distro for my wife's computer.
Last edited by cimarron on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 17:34; edited 1 time in total
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 16:29    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups?

I'll just put this here Razz

This change is part of Slacko 6.3.0 and every Puppy built using woof-CE lately. Don't you dare to blame me for improving my puplets without sharing my code with others; everything in Librepup is part of woof-CE from day one.

Maybe, instead of complaining and accusing others of problems that don't even exist, you should invest your time in developing your dream privacy-oriented puplet or help fix other issues you find in Puppy. And if you decide not to, at least show some minimal amount of respect and gratitude to those who do that work for you Evil or Very Mad

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 17:16    Post subject:  

Let's summarize this whole episode.

1. Many people complained about the icanhazip issue. The standard reply was "It's not a security problem. Don't worry about it."

2. Eventually, the "compromise" was to add a checkbox, but set it ON by default. This struck me as petty and disrespectful of people's concerns.

3. Then suddenly, Iguleder added a line to woof that turned the checkbox OFF, and not a SINGLE person commented. Apparently, all the community members who had previously resisted any change had nothing to say about the final solution.

Personally, this raises some questions about the decision-making process in woof and its transparency. But as I was once told, "Anything in woof is fair game."
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 17:33    Post subject:  

" Let's summarize this whole episode. "

rcrsn51 has posted a perfect reply.

Chris.
Keef

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 18:16    Post subject:  

I think 'perfect' is just a little bit of an overstatement. With knobs on.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2015, 22:30    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
anikin wrote:

+1, I wish I could +1 you a million tims

cimarron wrote:
Thanks for the good news about Slackware. They sound committed to offering a real alternative to systemd. If Mint is eventually forced to follow Debian's path, I'll look for a Slackware-based distro for my wife's computer.

Instead of a slackware-based distro, you could use slackware itself. Slackware is my favorite Linux distro and Puppy at a close second.

What consenting adults do in their bedroom is none of your business so if you think there is something wrong with homosexuality and your bothered by it, then you're an idiot who needs to mind their own business.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2015, 02:11    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:

I believe that this is a systemd thread.
Let's move elsewhere

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2015, 03:29    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
[*icanhazip is indefensible* - I warned both of you a long time ago, you didn't listen.
Actually, they did listen. It took time, but the end result is what you would have wanted (unless I am mistaken). The structure of woof is flexible and publicly available for others to have direct input into without waiting for "devs"to do their thing. (unless I am mistaken).

Decisions have to be made or else nothing progresses - this forum offers an opportunity for those who "have an opinion" to alter the perspective of "those who develop". That opportunity is very valuable but it does not constitute a "directive".

I don't think we should be too critical of devs when we have an equal opportunity to do what they do. Our opinion remains just an opinion unless we take action ourselves.
Page 24 of 26 [381 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: