boycott systemd

News, happenings
mavrothal

#346 Post by mavrothal »

anikin wrote:That's what responsible, well-minded, well-dressed developers do. They deactivate the crap, because they care about me, the user. Compare this to what you'll see in any other Puppy ...
Not that I think will change anything, but you might want to check a puppy too.
Not even that, just check the script in woof-CE.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

anikin

#347 Post by anikin »

The script in Woof-CE *testing* says:
33a48d0 26 days ago
@dimkr dimkr Disabled ipinfo's querying by default
I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups? I posted this earlier in another thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 461#796461 It shows an earlier version of Slacko saying hello to icanhazip. Has that changed?
Attachments
switch.jpeg
(25.71 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#348 Post by BarryK »

Just for the record, Quirky has used eudev almost from its inception.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

mavrothal

#349 Post by mavrothal »

anikin wrote:The script in Woof-CE *testing* says:
33a48d0 26 days ago
@dimkr dimkr Disabled ipinfo's querying by default
I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups?
That would not be too difficult to check if you were really interested. Would it?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

anikin

#350 Post by anikin »

Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... I know, I shouldn't bring this up, should stay above pettiness ... but so much emotional energy has been expended on What and Why?! It should've never been an issue in the first place. That's a welcome and long overdue step, if I were you, I'd make a separate announcement ... OK, let's move on, I'm not here to point a finger. Get it out *completely* from the GUI - it has no business being there. The benevolent dictator of Slackware, that Micko is referring to doesn't have it and with good reason.

01micko

#351 Post by 01micko »

anikin wrote:Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... (snip - emphasis, mine).
No you didn't. You are a pathetic troll, way worse than those that you accuse of being trolls. Either apologise or step off.

UPDATE: It is not I who needs the apology. Think about that before you bleat.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

anikin

#352 Post by anikin »

01micko wrote:
anikin wrote:Of course it would not, you're right, and I did check it ... (snip - emphasis, mine).
No you didn't. You are a pathetic troll, way worse than those that you accuse of being trolls. Either apologise or step off.

Learn to lose gracefully, little chap. I don't have to prove anything to you. You screwed it, acknowledge defeat and suck it up before clinching a tiny fist.

*icanhazip is indefensible* - I warned both of you a long time ago, you didn't listen.

cimarron

#353 Post by cimarron »

Thanks for the good news about Slackware. They sound committed to offering a real alternative to systemd. If Mint is eventually forced to follow Debian's path, I'll look for a Slackware-based distro for my wife's computer.
Last edited by cimarron on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Iguleder

#354 Post by Iguleder »

anikin wrote:I presume, iguleder disabled it for his Trisquel Pup. What about the master branch - Slacko and Tahr Pups?
I'll just put this here :P

This change is part of Slacko 6.3.0 and every Puppy built using woof-CE lately. Don't you dare to blame me for improving my puplets without sharing my code with others; everything in Librepup is part of woof-CE from day one.

Maybe, instead of complaining and accusing others of problems that don't even exist, you should invest your time in developing your dream privacy-oriented puplet or help fix other issues you find in Puppy. And if you decide not to, at least show some minimal amount of respect and gratitude to those who do that work for you :evil:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

rcrsn51

#355 Post by rcrsn51 »

Let's summarize this whole episode.

1. Many people complained about the icanhazip issue. The standard reply was "It's not a security problem. Don't worry about it."

2. Eventually, the "compromise" was to add a checkbox, but set it ON by default. This struck me as petty and disrespectful of people's concerns.

3. Then suddenly, Iguleder added a line to woof that turned the checkbox OFF, and not a SINGLE person commented. Apparently, all the community members who had previously resisted any change had nothing to say about the final solution.

Personally, this raises some questions about the decision-making process in woof and its transparency. But as I was once told, "Anything in woof is fair game."

cthisbear

#356 Post by cthisbear »

" Let's summarize this whole episode. "

rcrsn51 has posted a perfect reply.

Chris.

Keef

#357 Post by Keef »

I think 'perfect' is just a little bit of an overstatement. With knobs on.

bark_bark_bark

#358 Post by bark_bark_bark »

01micko wrote:

+1, I wish I could +1 you a million tims
cimarron wrote:Thanks for the good news about Slackware. They sound committed to offering a real alternative to systemd. If Mint is eventually forced to follow Debian's path, I'll look for a Slackware-based distro for my wife's computer.
Instead of a slackware-based distro, you could use slackware itself. Slackware is my favorite Linux distro and Puppy at a close second.

mavrothal

#359 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:...
I believe that this is a systemd thread.
Let's move elsewhere

greengeek

#360 Post by greengeek »

anikin wrote:[*icanhazip is indefensible* - I warned both of you a long time ago, you didn't listen.
Actually, they did listen. It took time, but the end result is what you would have wanted (unless I am mistaken). The structure of woof is flexible and publicly available for others to have direct input into without waiting for "devs"to do their thing. (unless I am mistaken).

Decisions have to be made or else nothing progresses - this forum offers an opportunity for those who "have an opinion" to alter the perspective of "those who develop". That opportunity is very valuable but it does not constitute a "directive".

I don't think we should be too critical of devs when we have an equal opportunity to do what they do. Our opinion remains just an opinion unless we take action ourselves.

anikin

#361 Post by anikin »

greengeek,

With iguleder's explanation above, I see it a bit differently. They (the gatekeepers) didn't listen. It was iguleder, who made the change. My opinion was heard by iguleder, he disabled icanhazip in his Librepup fork of Woof-CE, using his *authority* made a commit to the master branch (initially, I was unsure of this) and the change propagated to the whole project. Technically it got rammed through, it didn't come as a result of a transparent discussion. Unfortunately you and I lack that power and authority to make changes/commits to git/Woof-CE. If something in our view is wrong with Puppy, we can only voice our opinion and nag the devs to the best of our abilities. I sincerely tried my best, show respect, restraint and avoid escalation whenever possible. Others would have done a better job, I'm sure, but there wasn't much competition, as you know. Maybe, I should have kept quiet ... disable the damn thing in every new pup and be happy. Why should I care about others, about noobs and their unwashed, little brothers and sisters?

bark_bark_bark

#362 Post by bark_bark_bark »

greengeek wrote:
anikin wrote:[*icanhazip is indefensible* - I warned both of you a long time ago, you didn't listen.
Actually, they did listen. It took time, but the end result is what you would have wanted (unless I am mistaken). The structure of woof is flexible and publicly available for others to have direct input into without waiting for "devs"to do their thing. (unless I am mistaken).

Decisions have to be made or else nothing progresses - this forum offers an opportunity for those who "have an opinion" to alter the perspective of "those who develop". That opportunity is very valuable but it does not constitute a "directive".

I don't think we should be too critical of devs when we have an equal opportunity to do what they do. Our opinion remains just an opinion unless we take action ourselves.
anikin is like one of those people that just complain, without really providing any solutions.

cimarron

#363 Post by cimarron »

Is there another place this discussion could happen instead of the systemd thread?

L18L

#364 Post by L18L »

cimarron wrote:Is there another place this discussion could happen instead of the systemd thread?
Yes it is, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 937#873937 8)

gcmartin

#365 Post by gcmartin »

Wrong place. Moving my post to WOOFCE thread.