Puppy Firewall

Booting, installing, newbie
nic007

Puppy Firewall

#1 Post by nic007 »

I have never used it so am totally ignorant with regards to its workings. How does it affect normal internet browsing and ensure privacy?

gcmartin

Re: Puppy Firewall

#2 Post by gcmartin »

HI @NIC007, you ask a very good question.
nic007 wrote:I have never used it so ... does it affect normal internet browsing and ensure privacy?
Doesn't affect outbound browsing. I will let others comment of privacy as this is an area that has lots of discussion.

In many cases, if you have a router on your LAN that connects to your ISP, it is doing some/much of this already for you. The Puppy F/W adds an additional level of protection and can be redundant.

But, if you are using a modem/smartPhone instead of a router on your home network, then the PUP F/W I would advise as a requirement. If outside of the home an using a laptop, again, I would advise it a requirement for internet plans and use.

The one area which has gotten a lot of attention from Network users in their home networks is when they want to do some processing on their local LAN. The F/W can be source of area of discomfort as you try to use the PC for safe stuff on your LAN. One area is with new devices added to your LAN and content that you have on your PUP. Another is applications you have running on your PUP where LAN cannot get to. Another is ...

The best answer to the F/W issue is "it depends".

So describe a little better your home setup and what you would want to do for someone to try to be specific and helpful.

Hope this helps a little.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Well, for a general home user who connects to the internet with a cellphone modem. No LAN. I use Opera Mini as browser which uses its own proxy servers.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Easiest way to check is to visit the shieldsup website ...if it reports that all ports are stealthed then you have a firewall somewhere in the chain (3g seemed to for me)

https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

If results confirm this then there seems little point in having a second firewall...I never do but then I live on the edge :D

mike

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

How does it affect normal internet browsing and ensure privacy?
For you it will not affect anything you do. All outgoing is allowed.

The main thing it will keep someone from accessing your computer, from the internet, and doing whatever they want with or to it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Usually though a well designed operating system will not allow outside access anyway..... if the front door is secure why have a big garden gate?

windows netbios and rpc were 2 famous methods for the outside to gain instant access... a firewall is mandatory (or hack the rpc and disable netbios.) I believe it was these gaping holes that started the firewall frenzy...

Not sure if linux provides such easy gateways.... never had anything happen on it using a modem without a firewall. No ports are open by default....its server legacy does provide a solid base in such matters.

mike