packdude

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
jamesbond

#61 Post by jamesbond »

Iguleder wrote:I think full cloning is a good start. Updating sounds like something I'd leave for LFTP and rsync.
No, then it won't help. I can already clone now (if I want to do partial cloning I just insert grep in between sqlite3 and xargs):

Code: Select all

sqlite3 /tmp/repo.sqlite3 "select file_name from packages" | xargs -I '{}' wget -c $REPO_URL/'{}'
It's the update which is a problem if I can't check that existing packages matches packages listed in new repo.sqlite3. I can in theory check using version numbers but sometimes the same package gets recompiled without changes in their version numbers - how do you deal with that? (Slackware and Debian packages have "build-numbers" that are supposed to deal with this case, but that isn't foolproof because it requires the packager to update build numbers each time he/she rebuild the package. Checksums are generated automatically each time the repo is updated - so no chance to miss it - and both Debian/Slackware have that, too).

Leaving the update to LFTP and rsync assumes that the repo is accessible by FTP and by rsync - which is a *big* assumption.

I think the best return/effort ratio is still just to add md5sum column in the database, and make sure that repodude does md5sum when it updates the database.

But I'll leave the decision to you :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

neerajkolte

#62 Post by neerajkolte »

jamesbond wrote:are you sure you know what you're doing?
Frankly NO :wink: . I was attracted towards packdude by
Iguleder wrote:Support for Debian, Slackware or Ubuntu packages can be provided in the form of converted packages (i.e a tool that converts an entire Slackware repository into a "native" repository).
I am not in pure sense "TESTING", merely just keeping up with the development. I feel packdude has potential to go long way.
jamesbond wrote:This is a package manager, you can easily install files overwriting Fatdog's one which will screw up your installation. If you want to test it, the packages must be installed in a chroot directory (by default packdude will install its packages to your REAL ROOT and thus clobbering your setup).
Thanks for the heads up. I also read this..
Iguleder wrote:packdude is still considered experimental and may ruin your system. Use it at your own risk.

You can try out packdude without doing any damage to your system, by using an installation prefix:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /tmp/var/packdude/archive
packdude -p /tmp -i mtpaint
In this example, packdude installs mtPaint to /tmp. Before you run packdude with "-p", make sure you create the specified directory and /var/packdude/archive under it.
Personally I have no qualms about breaking sysyem. The only things I consider important and keep backups of are collection of videos and photos of friends and family.
Everything else is formattable or re-downloadable, especially the OS.
This is the thing that attracted me to puppy in the first place, ease of changing reconfiguring renewing the OS. The other thing being Friendly forum :D .
Thanks

-Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.