Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 22:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-631 for Acer C720 only.
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
eowens2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:31    Post_subject:  

James C

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:34    Post_subject:  

eowens2 wrote:
Kirk,

I have been reading with interest your account of Fatdog64 on the C720, and it generated many questions!

I have a C710, and have been unable to go beyond booting ChromeOS and Ubuntu. Allegedly, ctrl-u in the developer mode will allow booting from USB, but even with an updated bios I was unsuccessful in doing so (I was using a gpt-partitioned USB stick); and there is no “legacy mode” for the C710. I have been unable to find an account of someone who has actually booted something from the USB on a C710. So I am trying to sell the unit and perhaps get a C720.

On the C720, you seemed to boot Fatdog64 from the USB stick in Legacy mode. Then from within Fatdog64 you repartitioned the SSD. Did you leave the SSD with the GPT partition table, or change it to MBR? You mentioned installing Grub4Dos; does that work with UEFI/GPT? On the SSD, did you make only one partition? Filesystem?

So on power-on, does your C720 boot to the developer screen, then ctrl-d takes you to the (single entry) Grub menu? Might it be possible to multiboot (Fatdog64 plus ?Ubuntu, ?Linux Mint?) using Grub4Dos as the bootmanager? If you are using legacy booting, can you mix 32- and 64-bit OSes?

If you did change the SSD to MBR rather than using UEFI/GPT, why did you do this (I’m not criticizing, just trying to improve my understanding!!)?

This Chromebook line seems to have a really “locked down” bios/firmware configuration. I think it is to protect profit for Ultrabooks in the $700 to $2000 price range (they say it is to provide “security”)!

Leaving the C720 SSD in EFI/GPT mode, might one be able to install rEFInd, to be the first thing booted, and act as a bootmanager for multibooting? rEFInd’s docs say that installation “makes changes to your firmware’s NVRAM settings so that rEFInd will start the next time you boot” (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html). So might this be a path to more (better) user options, bypassing some of the tight grip of the bios?

When I say multibooting, I agree that a 16 GB SSD is not a very spacious platform on which to accomplish this, but at least one individual has upgraded his C720 Chromebook to a 128 GB SSD (cost about $100 USD) with no reported problems: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-upgrade-ssd-your-acer-c720-chromebook.

The thought of $300-$350 USD for a fairly capable Ultrabook with multibooting is tantalizing!

The old extra space in the url bug strikes again.....
eowens2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:44    Post_subject:  

I wondered where it went!!!!

Quote:
The old extra space in the url bug strikes again.....

Could you elaborate?
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 22:56    Post_subject:  

Quote:
On the C720, you seemed to boot Fatdog64 from the USB stick in Legacy mode. Then from within Fatdog64 you repartitioned the SSD. Did you leave the SSD with the GPT partition table, or change it to MBR? You mentioned installing Grub4Dos; does that work with UEFI/GPT? On the SSD, did you make only one partition? Filesystem?

I changed it to MBR, that might not have been necessary. It's not a normal uefi implementation, you use the SeaBIOS payload to boot, that's why I went with MBR.

Quote:
So on power-on, does your C720 boot to the developer screen, then ctrl-d takes you to the (single entry) Grub menu?

No, I made the changes to boot directly into SeaBIOS. See the first post for the Arch linux link.

Quote:
Might it be possible to multiboot (Fatdog64 plus ?Ubuntu, ?Linux Mint?)

Sure, if you have the space and you can patch the kernel modules for those distos.

Quote:
This Chromebook line seems to have a really “locked down” bios/firmware configuration.

I don't agree. There was some effort made to make this possible.
eowens2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun 2014, 14:00    Post_subject:  

How can you tell if SeaBIOS is indeed active on the Chromebook? Is there a bash command one can invoke that will tell you?

I upgraded the C710’s bios from default to “Google_Parrott.2685.37.0”; I do not know if SeaBIOS is lurking somewhere in the upgraded firmware or not.

On my C710, when I do “sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1” I get no error messages, but I do not get any kind of confirmation either.

And then when at the developer’s screen I do ctrl-u/ctrl-l and insert a Fatdog64 USB stick, the system beeps twice and reboots into ChromeOS.

Checking the USB stick on another computer with Gparted’s View=> Device Information, the stick has a “loop” partition table rather than MSDOS or GPT. And it boots fine on an x86-64 computer with an MSDOS partitioned hard drive.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could try, to boot Fatdog64 on my C710 Chromebook?

Edit (to correct information): The above statement about the USB stick with Fatdog64 (for C720) having a "loop" partition table on it is not correct, it had a MSDOS partition table on it. Interestingly, it booted on my 64-bit Dell laptop (but had no touchpad control), but not on my C710 Chromebook. Sorry for the confusion.
Stripe

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 11:22    Post_subject:  

Hi all

does anyone know a way to get a network connection from a sandbox (allowing a different ip address to the host machine (either static or dchp assigned))?
as I am trying to use the sandbox as a server to provide services to the lan (without the overheads of using virtualization)

I was thinking of trying to set a bridge to allow both the host and the sandbox to gain access independently to the NIC, but still cant seem to figure out how to connect the sandbox to the bridge.

thanks for reading
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 08:21    Post_subject:  

kirk:

This combination of Chromebook+Fatdog is amazing! When I did my install, I ran Gparted and selected Device > Create Partition Table. I made an MS-DOS table to replace the GPT. Grub4Dos liked this better.

Using a save folder instead of a savefile is handy. You can quickly see exactly what stuff you have installed. And it's easy to back up into a tarball.

Here are some modifications I made.

I really like the Chromebook keyboard, but I miss the traditional PgUp,PgDn,Home,End,Del keys. So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?

If I run a Flash video in Firefox and go to full screen, then press Esc, the video black-screens. The only way out is a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But it works fine with HTML5. So I made an applet to turn Flash off/on.

I found that the touchpad is pretty sensitive, so I made another applet to turn it off while using a mouse.

The battery monitor failed to trigger a warning message when the battery was low and Fatdog shut down unexpectedly. Or maybe I missed the message. Instead of tinkering with the monitor settings, I just installed my Batterup. It's not fancy, but it works when you need it.

I took one look at wpa_gui and gave up. Too much information! I installed PeasyWifi instead.

Fatdog has CPUtemp but it's not enabled. I just moved /usr/bin/CPUtemp_tray to /root/Startup. But I doubt if overheating will be a problem.

I can post any of these packages if you want them.

Bill
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:05    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
The battery monitor failed to trigger a warning message when the battery was low and Fatdog shut down unexpectedly. Or maybe I missed the message.

You didn't miss it. It never shows up. One of the little annoying things that gets fixed in the next iteration.

eowens2

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:06    Post_subject:  

HOORAY! I am finally making some headway with Fatdog64 on the C710 Chromebook.

I was able to find a copy of SeaBios for the C710/Celeron 847 processor, and did a flashrom-write; now the unit can boot from USB.

I created the bootable Fatdog64-631-Acer-C720-only USB stick, and the C710 boots to the Desktop, but the operating system does not see any of the USB devices: it does not see the drive it booted from (SeaBios sees it, Fatdog64 does not) and does not see a USB mouse. Touchpad is OK.

All of the sda partitions show up on the desktop, no sdb. On Gparted only the sda partitions are visible, no sdb. I cannot mount sdb, therefore I cannot copy vmlinuz and initrd to the hard drive.

I am wondering if perhaps the waitdev=5 parameter might give more time for the USB devices to be detected. I guess that would go in a Grub4dos.cfg, but I have tried running Grub4dos, and it cannot detect the boot USB stick (sdb) either.

So I cannot see a way to tell the boot to slow down a little and detect the USB drives. I would be grateful for any tips.
kirk

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2014, 19:42    Post_subject:  

Quote:
So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?

I think so, xvkbd is installed by default. If you look at sevn's preferences (in the tray) you can see where I used it for some of the other keys.

Quote:
If I run a Flash video in Firefox and go to full screen, then press Esc, the video black-screens. The only way out is a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But it works fine with HTML5. So I made an applet to turn Flash off/on.

Yes, it sure does. Looking at the log it seems to be caused by the synaptics touchpad driver. Synaptics also causes a crash with Zarfy. I'll see if I can find a better patch.

Quote:
All of the sda partitions show up on the desktop, no sdb. On Gparted only the sda partitions are visible, no sdb. I cannot mount sdb, therefore I cannot copy vmlinuz and initrd to the hard drive.

Probably missing a kernel module you need for the c710. I removed most of the modules that the c720 doesn't use. If you look at the first page of this thread you'll find were I posted the all-modules-firmware-3.12.18-c720-only.sfs file. That contains all the modules and firmware. Open a terminal and type lsmod before installing that sfs file and rebooting. Then run lsmod again after booting with the sfs installed and compare the results. If there are now more modules listed, those are the ones that are missing.
kirk

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2014, 20:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it sure does. Looking at the log it seems to be caused by the synaptics touchpad driver. Synaptics also causes a crash with Zarfy. I'll see if I can find a better patch.

Nope, doesn't seem to be synaptics. After 700 gets stable I'll make a c720 version and work on this some more.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2014, 18:00    Post_subject:  

kirk wrote:
Quote:
So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?

I think so, xvkbd is installed by default. If you look at sevn's preferences (in the tray) you can see where I used it for some of the other keys.

I got this working with sven by adding the key definitions from xbindkeys. I then copied the block of new code from sven's config file to a backup file for future use and made a PET out of it.

Here is PeasyWiFi for Fatdog. It is rock-solid on the Chromebook.

[Edit] Deleted due to lack of interest.

Edited_time_total
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul 2014, 18:36    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, doesn't seem to be synaptics. After 700 gets stable I'll make a c720 version and work on this some more.

This bug isn't exposed when using JWM. You can switch to JWM by exiting the X server (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and then type:

Code:
xwin jwm
Stripe

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul 2014, 19:45    Post_subject:  

hi all

I don't get the flash issue when running the standard desktop from a sandbox (sorry no idea why)

hope this helps
eowens2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul 2014, 17:37    Post_subject:  

Kirk, you were absolutely right!

The reason my C710 Chromebook (booting Fatdog64-631-Acer-c720-only) did not detect any USB devices (including the USB stick it booted from) was because of missing modules – you had trimmed modules not needed for the c720 from the Fatdog64 package; you were prescient in making a .sfs from the “trimmings”!

When I added the all-modules-firmware-3.12.18-c720-only.sfs, I still had a problem though, because I needed to reboot, which means that I needed a save file. Fortunately, the hard drive (sda) was still intact with all of the Chromebook patitions, and sda1 was large and ext4, so I put my fs64save.ext4 there.

With the reboot the sfs/modules loaded and I had all of the USB devices back! I have since done a remaster of the iso with the modules included, and made another usb stick.

I have been trying to avoid messing with the hard drive in case I want to revert to Chrome OS (saved the original bios too). Now I can run Fatdog64 from a USB stick and hopefully put a savefile on the stick as well!

Thanks for all of your hard work!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum