Fatdog64-631 for Acer C720 only.

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
eowens2

#31 Post by eowens2 »

Kirk,

I have been reading with interest your account of Fatdog64 on the C720, and it generated many questions!

I have a C710, and have been unable to go beyond booting ChromeOS and Ubuntu. Allegedly, ctrl-u in the developer mode will allow booting from USB, but even with an updated bios I was unsuccessful in doing so (I was using a gpt-partitioned USB stick); and there is no “legacy mode

James C

#32 Post by James C »

[quote="eowens2"]Kirk,

I have been reading with interest your account of Fatdog64 on the C720, and it generated many questions!

I have a C710, and have been unable to go beyond booting ChromeOS and Ubuntu. Allegedly, ctrl-u in the developer mode will allow booting from USB, but even with an updated bios I was unsuccessful in doing so (I was using a gpt-partitioned USB stick); and there is no “legacy mode

eowens2

#33 Post by eowens2 »

I wondered where it went!!!!
The old extra space in the url bug strikes again.....
Could you elaborate?

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

On the C720, you seemed to boot Fatdog64 from the USB stick in Legacy mode. Then from within Fatdog64 you repartitioned the SSD. Did you leave the SSD with the GPT partition table, or change it to MBR? You mentioned installing Grub4Dos; does that work with UEFI/GPT? On the SSD, did you make only one partition? Filesystem?
I changed it to MBR, that might not have been necessary. It's not a normal uefi implementation, you use the SeaBIOS payload to boot, that's why I went with MBR.
So on power-on, does your C720 boot to the developer screen, then ctrl-d takes you to the (single entry) Grub menu?
No, I made the changes to boot directly into SeaBIOS. See the first post for the Arch linux link.
Might it be possible to multiboot (Fatdog64 plus ?Ubuntu, ?Linux Mint?)
Sure, if you have the space and you can patch the kernel modules for those distos.
This Chromebook line seems to have a really “locked down

eowens2

#35 Post by eowens2 »

How can you tell if SeaBIOS is indeed active on the Chromebook? Is there a bash command one can invoke that will tell you?

I upgraded the C710’s bios from default to “Google_Parrott.2685.37.0

Stripe

#36 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

does anyone know a way to get a network connection from a sandbox (allowing a different ip address to the host machine (either static or dchp assigned))?
as I am trying to use the sandbox as a server to provide services to the lan (without the overheads of using virtualization)

I was thinking of trying to set a bridge to allow both the host and the sandbox to gain access independently to the NIC, but still cant seem to figure out how to connect the sandbox to the bridge.

thanks for reading

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

kirk:

This combination of Chromebook+Fatdog is amazing! When I did my install, I ran Gparted and selected Device > Create Partition Table. I made an MS-DOS table to replace the GPT. Grub4Dos liked this better.

Using a save folder instead of a savefile is handy. You can quickly see exactly what stuff you have installed. And it's easy to back up into a tarball.

Here are some modifications I made.

I really like the Chromebook keyboard, but I miss the traditional PgUp,PgDn,Home,End,Del keys. So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?

If I run a Flash video in Firefox and go to full screen, then press Esc, the video black-screens. The only way out is a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But it works fine with HTML5. So I made an applet to turn Flash off/on.

I found that the touchpad is pretty sensitive, so I made another applet to turn it off while using a mouse.

The battery monitor failed to trigger a warning message when the battery was low and Fatdog shut down unexpectedly. Or maybe I missed the message. Instead of tinkering with the monitor settings, I just installed my Batterup. It's not fancy, but it works when you need it.

I took one look at wpa_gui and gave up. Too much information! I installed PeasyWifi instead.

Fatdog has CPUtemp but it's not enabled. I just moved /usr/bin/CPUtemp_tray to /root/Startup. But I doubt if overheating will be a problem.

I can post any of these packages if you want them.

Bill

jamesbond

#38 Post by jamesbond »

rcrsn51 wrote:The battery monitor failed to trigger a warning message when the battery was low and Fatdog shut down unexpectedly. Or maybe I missed the message.
You didn't miss it. It never shows up. One of the little annoying things that gets fixed in the next iteration.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

eowens2

#39 Post by eowens2 »

HOORAY! I am finally making some headway with Fatdog64 on the C710 Chromebook.

I was able to find a copy of SeaBios for the C710/Celeron 847 processor, and did a flashrom-write; now the unit can boot from USB.

I created the bootable Fatdog64-631-Acer-C720-only USB stick, and the C710 boots to the Desktop, but the operating system does not see any of the USB devices: it does not see the drive it booted from (SeaBios sees it, Fatdog64 does not) and does not see a USB mouse. Touchpad is OK.

All of the sda partitions show up on the desktop, no sdb. On Gparted only the sda partitions are visible, no sdb. I cannot mount sdb, therefore I cannot copy vmlinuz and initrd to the hard drive.

I am wondering if perhaps the waitdev=5 parameter might give more time for the USB devices to be detected. I guess that would go in a Grub4dos.cfg, but I have tried running Grub4dos, and it cannot detect the boot USB stick (sdb) either.

So I cannot see a way to tell the boot to slow down a little and detect the USB drives. I would be grateful for any tips.

kirk

#40 Post by kirk »

So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?
I think so, xvkbd is installed by default. If you look at sevn's preferences (in the tray) you can see where I used it for some of the other keys.
If I run a Flash video in Firefox and go to full screen, then press Esc, the video black-screens. The only way out is a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But it works fine with HTML5. So I made an applet to turn Flash off/on.
Yes, it sure does. Looking at the log it seems to be caused by the synaptics touchpad driver. Synaptics also causes a crash with Zarfy. I'll see if I can find a better patch.
All of the sda partitions show up on the desktop, no sdb. On Gparted only the sda partitions are visible, no sdb. I cannot mount sdb, therefore I cannot copy vmlinuz and initrd to the hard drive.
Probably missing a kernel module you need for the c710. I removed most of the modules that the c720 doesn't use. If you look at the first page of this thread you'll find were I posted the all-modules-firmware-3.12.18-c720-only.sfs file. That contains all the modules and firmware. Open a terminal and type lsmod before installing that sfs file and rebooting. Then run lsmod again after booting with the sfs installed and compare the results. If there are now more modules listed, those are the ones that are missing.

kirk

#41 Post by kirk »

Quote:

Yes, it sure does. Looking at the log it seems to be caused by the synaptics touchpad driver. Synaptics also causes a crash with Zarfy. I'll see if I can find a better patch.
Nope, doesn't seem to be synaptics. After 700 gets stable I'll make a c720 version and work on this some more.

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

kirk wrote:
So I made an xbindkeys package that enables them, as discussed here. Is there a way to do this without installing xbindkeys?
I think so, xvkbd is installed by default. If you look at sevn's preferences (in the tray) you can see where I used it for some of the other keys.
I got this working with sven by adding the key definitions from xbindkeys. I then copied the block of new code from sven's config file to a backup file for future use and made a PET out of it.

Here is PeasyWiFi for Fatdog. It is rock-solid on the Chromebook.

[Edit] Deleted due to lack of interest.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#43 Post by kirk »

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, doesn't seem to be synaptics. After 700 gets stable I'll make a c720 version and work on this some more.
This bug isn't exposed when using JWM. You can switch to JWM by exiting the X server (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and then type:

Code: Select all

xwin jwm

Stripe

#44 Post by Stripe »

hi all

I don't get the flash issue when running the standard desktop from a sandbox (sorry no idea why)

hope this helps

eowens2

#45 Post by eowens2 »

Kirk, you were absolutely right!

The reason my C710 Chromebook (booting Fatdog64-631-Acer-c720-only) did not detect any USB devices (including the USB stick it booted from) was because of missing modules – you had trimmed modules not needed for the c720 from the Fatdog64 package; you were prescient in making a .sfs from the “trimmings

rrolsbe

Using Fatdog on C710

#46 Post by rrolsbe »

eowens2 & Kirk

Great that you got it running on the C710 but I have a few questions.

Where you able to boot to ChromeOS with the savefile on the the ext4 chromeos sd1 partition? I assume the generic Fatdog ISO would not work correctly with the C710/720? Remastering C720 image only? If it boots with the savefile located on the ChromeOS disk, maybe VirtualBox (assuming it works) images could be stored on a 320GB drive/large SSD and still allow booting into ChromeOS with the Fatdog64 boot media removed? Since the largest area of chromeos disk is the user areas and it is encrypted that might be a problem storing VirtualBox files.

Thanks for the good work guys!!
Regards, Ron

eowens2

#47 Post by eowens2 »

rrolsbe,

I did not try to boot back into ChromeOS with the savefile from Fatdog64 on the Chromebook’s large sda1 ext4 partition. Unlike the c720, to enable legacy mode on the c710 (for me at least) by flashing the Celeron -847-specific SeaBios (putting a tiny piece of aluminum foil between jumpers) is not something I would want to do except occasionally! For my system now, booting via legacy mode is default, not elective. The process can be reversed (I think) by reflashing the original bios, but that would be the same hassle in reverse – I did keep a copy of the original bios.

The generic Fatdog64 iso on a USB stick booted O.K. : it could “see

Stripe

#48 Post by Stripe »

hi all

sorry for the stupid question

I am trying to boot fatdog with a small save file (to act as a config file), but not to save changes to the file on exit
(so I can have a clean puppy on every boot but with my custom settings that also auto-connects to my network over wifi, without the need to hard-code changes to the sfs)

I have done it before with other puppies but stupidly cannot remember (damn stroke) whether I had to edit rc.shutdown, (wmpoweroff and wmreboot now replaced by wmexit), or just changed the boot options in grub4dos.

does anyone know if there is there a preferred method to do this with fatdog or is it time to get creative?

cheers

jamesbond

#49 Post by jamesbond »

You only need to know the parameter to pass to to the "savefile" boot parameter http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... l#savefile.

1. Create the savefile as usual.
2. Edit your grub/syslinux config to include savefile parameter, instead of using "direct", use "ram"
3. Reboot
4. Control Panel --> Event Manager --> set RAM Save internval to zero
5. Click the "save" button (this saves the RAM save interval settings)
6. Make your customisation as you wish.
7. Click "save" button again (this saves your customisation)
8. From now on, nothing will get saved unless you press that save button.

Good luck.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Stripe

#50 Post by Stripe »

@jamesbond

thank you very much for the help, it worked great,

cheers