Fatdog64-631 for Acer C720 only.

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rrolsbe

Using Fatdog on C710

#46 Post by rrolsbe »

eowens2 & Kirk

Great that you got it running on the C710 but I have a few questions.

Where you able to boot to ChromeOS with the savefile on the the ext4 chromeos sd1 partition? I assume the generic Fatdog ISO would not work correctly with the C710/720? Remastering C720 image only? If it boots with the savefile located on the ChromeOS disk, maybe VirtualBox (assuming it works) images could be stored on a 320GB drive/large SSD and still allow booting into ChromeOS with the Fatdog64 boot media removed? Since the largest area of chromeos disk is the user areas and it is encrypted that might be a problem storing VirtualBox files.

Thanks for the good work guys!!
Regards, Ron

eowens2

#47 Post by eowens2 »

rrolsbe,

I did not try to boot back into ChromeOS with the savefile from Fatdog64 on the Chromebook’s large sda1 ext4 partition. Unlike the c720, to enable legacy mode on the c710 (for me at least) by flashing the Celeron -847-specific SeaBios (putting a tiny piece of aluminum foil between jumpers) is not something I would want to do except occasionally! For my system now, booting via legacy mode is default, not elective. The process can be reversed (I think) by reflashing the original bios, but that would be the same hassle in reverse – I did keep a copy of the original bios.

The generic Fatdog64 iso on a USB stick booted O.K. : it could “see

Stripe

#48 Post by Stripe »

hi all

sorry for the stupid question

I am trying to boot fatdog with a small save file (to act as a config file), but not to save changes to the file on exit
(so I can have a clean puppy on every boot but with my custom settings that also auto-connects to my network over wifi, without the need to hard-code changes to the sfs)

I have done it before with other puppies but stupidly cannot remember (damn stroke) whether I had to edit rc.shutdown, (wmpoweroff and wmreboot now replaced by wmexit), or just changed the boot options in grub4dos.

does anyone know if there is there a preferred method to do this with fatdog or is it time to get creative?

cheers

jamesbond

#49 Post by jamesbond »

You only need to know the parameter to pass to to the "savefile" boot parameter http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... l#savefile.

1. Create the savefile as usual.
2. Edit your grub/syslinux config to include savefile parameter, instead of using "direct", use "ram"
3. Reboot
4. Control Panel --> Event Manager --> set RAM Save internval to zero
5. Click the "save" button (this saves the RAM save interval settings)
6. Make your customisation as you wish.
7. Click "save" button again (this saves your customisation)
8. From now on, nothing will get saved unless you press that save button.

Good luck.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Stripe

#50 Post by Stripe »

@jamesbond

thank you very much for the help, it worked great,

cheers

eowens2

#51 Post by eowens2 »

Kirk or jamesbond, I have a question.

I am running Fatdog64 (for c720) on a c710 Chromebook. I have removed the stock 320GB HD (so as to keep the ChromeOS partitions intact in case I want to revert) and installed a 160 GB HD instead, which seems to be working fine. I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 and Puppy Slacko 5.7.0 (no functioning touchpad in either yet) alongside Fatdog64, with Grub4dos as bootmanager/bootloader.

I have expanded the c710's RAM from 2 to 4 GB, but Fatdog does not recognize the extra 2 GB (Ubuntu and Puppy Slacko do recognize the 4GB). After googling awhile, I am wondering if the problem might not be the kernel parameter “mem=1950m

kirk

#52 Post by kirk »

Yes, it's the mem=1950m boot parameter. That's needed due to some limitation in the c720 firmware. You can use the fatdog-split-initrd.sh to split the main sfs out of the initrd, then you don't need the mem=1950 boot parameter.

Code: Select all

# fatdog-split-initrd.sh 
Usage: /usr/sbin/fatdog-split-initrd.sh source-initrd output-dir [tmpdir]
After you use the fatdog-split-initrd.sh script you'll have a small initrd and a fd64-630.sfs. Then you'll need a grub entry something like this:

Code: Select all

title Fatdog64-631-c720
  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
  kernel /vmlinuz tpm_tis.interrupts=0 nmi_watchdog=0 waitdev=0 base2ram=yes basesfs=local:/fd64-630.sfs savefile=direct:device:sda1:/fd64save
  initrd /initrd

eowens2

#53 Post by eowens2 »

Yes, it's the mem=1950m boot parameter. That's needed due to some limitation in the c720 firmware. You can use the fatdog-split-initrd.sh to split the main sfs out of the initrd, then you don't need the mem=1950 boot parameter.

Code:
# fatdog-split-initrd.sh
Usage: /usr/sbin/fatdog-split-initrd.sh source-initrd output-dir [tmpdir]

After you use the fatdog-split-initrd.sh script you'll have a small initrd and a fd64-630.sfs. Then you'll need a grub entry something like this:
Code:

title Fatdog64-631-c720
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz tpm_tis.interrupts=0 nmi_watchdog=0 waitdev=0 base2ram=yes basesfs=local:/fd64-630.sfs savefile=direct:device:sda1:/fd64save
initrd /initrd
Thanks Kirk.

Fatdog64 on my 710 Chromebook now sees the 4 GB of RAM!

Stripe

#54 Post by Stripe »

hi all
having problems with machine freezing after streaming flash video in firefox (30.00) for a while (suspect ram filling up due to no swap set or not writing to save file)
have (firefox) overide automatic cache management enabled and set to 20mb
is there a separate cache setting for flash or video?

have grub4dos set too:

kernel /vmlinuz mem=1950m tpm_tis.interrupts=0 nmi_watchdog=0 waitdev=0 savefile=ram:device:sda1:/fd64save

any ideas/abuse welcome
cheers

purplecap

Help with touchscreen

#55 Post by purplecap »

Have the touchscreen version. Trying to get the touchscreen to work. Modified the Archlinux scripts for slacko 5.6; yet neither touchscreen or touchpad work.
Edit: Solved; need to load the modules by manually running modprobe. I realize this is a known issue; but any ideas on how to fix touchscreen tracking. Right now the whole touchscreen is treated as a touchpad, thus the pointer does not correspond to the area on the screen which is touched.

rrolsbe

Anyone try the c720 iso on the Toshiba 2 with 1080P display?

#56 Post by rrolsbe »

Anyone try the c720 ISO on the Toshiba 2 with 1080P display? This is a fairly nice machine and being able to boot Fatdog64 would be the icing on the cake.

If the c720 ISO along with the sfs driver file will not work, any chance there is developer interest to getting Fatdog64 to work on the new Toshiba 2? Maybe someone could try to boot the standard Fatedog64 ISO, the one used on all other x86 Intel/AMD based hardware, and report back to the forum.

Thanks Very Much in advance for any info regarding questions in this post!
Regards, Ron

After further online reading, looks like booting alternate Linux distros from USB media via Seabios might not be working on these new 1080P Toshiba Chromebooks?

8Geee

#57 Post by 8Geee »

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 uses a Celeron (Intel) N2840 CPU. This would be an easier conversion to a 64-bit puppy like FatDog.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mekalu2k4

puppy on Acer c710 chromebook

#58 Post by mekalu2k4 »

hi guys,
i am looking for fd-64 iso for acer c710/celeron 1007/4gb ram/16gb hdd/ and step-by-step approach.

from this thread it looks like you guys spent a lot of time on acer chromebooks/ fd-64.
thanks in advance