Precise-571JP (Japanese edition) SCIM-Anthy

News, happenings
rayberau

Precise-571JP (Japanese edition) SCIM-Anthy

#1 Post by rayberau »

Hello Shinobar,

My old Acer computer has no working CD/DVD drive nor does the BIOS list any USB port for booting. Nevertheless I was able to use your Quickset Wary 511 Windows Installer on the Windows XP OS to enable dual booting with Windows XP and Wary 511, and I was able to install SCIM+Anthy‭ to have Japanese Input toggled with English by Ctrl+Shift.

Now I have ‭burned your Precise Puppy Linux‭ ‬5.7.1JP onto a DVD and am presently typing from my LG computer which has Linus Mint 15 only on the hard drive and I am running Puppy Linux‭ ‬5.7.1JP from the DVD and will save to USB memory stick.

My question is about the SCIM input on Precise Puppy Linux‭ ‬5.7.1JP. I set the language to English so that the menus are in English, and I understand that the SCIM input is enabled in this Japanese edition of Precise. But I cannot work out how to toggle from English typing to Japanese using Precise ‬571JP.

Using Wary 511 with SCIM+Anthy‭ there is a keyboard icon next to the time/date at the bottom corner of the screen, and one can toggle Japanese Input with English by Ctrl+Spacebar, and "A with Hiragana chi" appears on the keyboard icon when typing in Japanese.

But with Precise Puppy Linux‭ ‬5.7.1JP (Japanese edition) there is no keyboard icon, I can see there is a SCIM Input Method Setup in Menu>Descktop, but I cannot work out how to toggle to Japanese. The Ctrl+Spacebar doesn't toggle English with Japanese like in Wary 511 with SCIM+Anthy‭.

Can you explain how to set up the keyboard so I can toggle English and Japanese? Perhaps I need to use the Mouse/Keyboard wizard to change keyboard layout to jp106. I'll try that after I save and restart. But I want top keep the menus in English. I'll play around with the Mouse/Keyboard wizard and will let you know if I have worked out how to do it.

Thanks for your Japanese edition of Precise. I'm sure it won't take me too long to work out how to type Japanese and English with it.

Regards from Ray Bergmann in Brisbane, Australia. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.