The Internet of Things could encroach on personal privacy

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
James C

#1 Post by James C »

http://www.csoonline.com/article/215085 ... ivacy.html
After describing how smart metering system might be able to tell you what someone is doing inside their house, the White House report points out that once someone leaves their connected home, "facial recognition technologies can identify you in pictures online and as soon as you step outside. Always-on wearable technologies with voice and video interfaces and the arrival of whole classes of networked devices will only expand information collection still further.

"This sea of ubiquitous sensors, each of which has legitimate uses, make the notion of limiting information collection challenging, if not impossible," said the government report.

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

the world has changed and is changing for the worse.

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

Looks like I'll need to buy one of those eerie plastic masks (you know, the clear plastic ones that make your face look mushed and scary) so they can't recognize me when I leave the house. Or maybe one of those old Richard Nixon masks.... LOL

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Problem is that the US media is diverting the issue. Congress's job is to have dealt with this and they have been BULLSH***!!! the public (you and the rest) on a item which they keep deferring!

The public screamed at the court decision and they ignore it as if nothing had occurred.

So the public appeals to the Presidents FCC and he is trying to put in a stopgap hoping Congress will do the proper public bidding.

Instead of doing their jobs, they instead are trying to convince the public via the media that FCC is bad, while NOT LIFTING A FINGER TO FIX THIS!

You should be looking at the "source" of the blame, here. The courts have already said, IT NEEDS TO BE LAW for the FCC to act!

I ask all of you US members. When will you contact your congressman and tell them to do their jobs instead of BS'ing with media garbage???

Are they being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to BS you and the rest of us???

Look at the facts: 500 members at $200000/yr/member in each's salary for 2 decades that they have this single item on the congressional floor. Have you gotten your money's worth?

Go after the real culprits...Congress
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 18 May 2014, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#6 Post by bark_bark_bark »

We can call those congressmen, but that doesn't do anything. If you want things to change get a need a extremely huge pile of money to do so. THERE IS NOTHING THE AVERAGE PERSON CAN DO!!!!

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Ever wonder how they get 10s of thousands of people to rally for a cause! They band together and form a loud voice. And, they keep doing it, over and over and over until the right thing is done! Most every citizen disagrees that the power to govern what you say, see, or do should be in the hands of ISPs. Just about EVERYONE including many/most members here.

Don't feel like you have no power. You do!

In the 60s & 70s it was done. In the 80s too. Why do you feel like they, US Congress want you to feel...powerless.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I may have one of these or maybe it is over the Mobile phone net
and not over the Internet not sure too lazy to find out.

The Mains measure my use of their electricity usage and
the company get that info from the sensor and send the data
over something to the company owned net something???

They could easily use some kind of addon if they have the need?
Digitized analog to bits? The company own such things all over Europe?

So it would not help much to tell them to not do it.
The European Union maybe would put a veto on such
actions from me?

If anybody die out of curiosity running wild
then I could put some effort into finding out?

The name of the company is E.ON if I remember.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/?page=privacypolicy

Ah one sign a contract that one allow it to happen.
That text seems to only be on the policy for the homepage
collecting of info? Maybe they don't tell abut the actual gear?

I try to find the model number on the thing.

Metrima E.ON tell they use the Mobile net work.
So not over internet then. I gogled it now some minutes ago. :)
No wonder my reception on shortwave and Medium wave are so bad?
The spikes from the hardware is all over my place apartment
and to move from one part of the room to another may help marginall.

I need to clim mearest Hill and that is out of the question now
due to lack of muscles in my legs.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Oi No

#9 Post by Oi No »

I should link you lads this video of this old DARPA CEO now CEO for Google talking about how cool it will be for rebellious teens to get RFID tatoos...it will be like the old tatoos for parents but parents will accept in the end she says with a smile.

All the tech savvy guys there who ask questions and the host...nobody asks anything serious about privacy or security (RFID is easily hackable)...
What's wrong with peeps? :?: :!:

And I'm not talking about her! She has a job to do. Her job is to push her boundaries and those are in a democratic capitalist society supposed to clash with others on the market of goods and of ideas and laws and regulations and alternatives are supposed to come up as a result. But no...nobody is clashing (of the public there at the event).

rokytnji

#10 Post by rokytnji »

I get a grin outa these threads.

One wants the internet, computers, electricity, all the comforts.
Freaks on that tech being used to control their lives.

I knew the computer age was going to be a ball breaker back long ago when
a cop pulled me over on my motorcycle. Ran me for warrants.
Then talked to me about what I did as a teenager.

Like I said. Grinning. 8)

Oi No

#11 Post by Oi No »

People might want a car but they don't want it to drive over them. Surely different sectors will see different oppurtunities with new technologies.

rokytnji

#12 Post by rokytnji »

Oi No wrote:People might want a car but they don't want it to drive over them. Surely different sectors will see different oppurtunities with new technologies.
Funny one mentions that. Some folks have more than personal privacy issues to worry about than others.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 92339.html

Still grinning. 8)

Oi No

#13 Post by Oi No »

So what motive would you want for your new tattoo?

I get your point though. Nothing is for free, especially not that which is free.And you're not alone in knowing it was about to come. ;)