palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

@Semme inspired an idea to upgrade the opening post's PET installation. It resulted in this.
  • On my PhatSlacko, the PET installed PaleMoon in /opt.
  • So I downloaded @Semme's pointer and double-clicked the downloaded ...tar/bz2
  • When asked where to extract the contents to, I replied "/opt".
  • Upon completion, I went to Menu>Internet>Palemoon to open the browser.
Thanks @Semme

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

For testing, you should've extracted to anywhere else, then drag the exec onto your desktop.

Sure it uses your existing profile, but, you'd gain a sense of how portable most exec's out there actually are.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

In the prior post Semme wrote:For testing, you ...
Wondering; if using the existing profile as a base, does this accomplish all what you suggest. The icon on the desktop and the menu item are already there.

I thought this was what you were getting at: A simple means of upgrading the current Palemoon browser in the absence of a Palemoon built-in feature (like the ones built into Mozilla's Seamonkey and Firefox).

Did I miss?
Edit: I think I see what you are sharing in your prior post. It assumes that there may be something afoul in a newer version of Palemoon. Therefore, if I get what you are saying; "Don't upgrade, test it first, ..."

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah, I saw that earlier. This, from that site, is what prompted my approach:
Pale Moon site wrote:To update Pale Moon manually, simply download the installer of the new version and run it. No need to uninstall first! You can install the new version in the same location as the old one, and it will perform an upgrade
This is why I adapted the replacement approach.

wimpy

#21 Post by wimpy »

I tried the pet, and it seemed to install OK. However, it then stuck when invoked from the Internet menu. Running from a terminal, it bombed out with "Illegal Instruction". I tried the pet and tar approach but it ended up with the same message. Are the linux versions all 64bit? I would be grateful for any help or suggestions in getting pale moon installed and running on a 32bit puppy system.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

666philb

#22 Post by 666philb »

hi wimpy,

what puppy are you using?
there's a new pet on the first post version 24.7.1
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

wimpy

#23 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply. I was using a Precise 5.7.1 with the Mate desktop. I can try it for a variety of other distros and on another machine, if necessary.

666philb

#24 Post by 666philb »

hi wimpy,

did you try the new pet? (on first post) it should work in precise
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

wimpy

#25 Post by wimpy »

Yes. I tried the new pet, with and without pfix=ram. It made no difference - it still comes back with "Illegal instruction". I've also recently tried the latest chromium and pepperflash sfs (there's a thread in this sector) and that did the same thing - "Illegal instruction". These two are the only times I've got this message, FWIW I changed to another PC with the same type of CPU and RAM but different mobo. That one gives the same message.

Puppus Dogfellow

#26 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

installed and performs flawlessly on precise 5.5, 5.6.1, and 5.7.1. very fast--firefox before they ruined it plus the ability to zoom google documents without things getting bizarre. also, page numbering works for the first time. update installed over the original with no problems and menu entries worked ootb. thank you, 666philb. (and sorry for your woes, wimpy. :? )

wimpy

#27 Post by wimpy »

As I understand it, my problem stems from Intel moving the goalposts with the Pentium4 - something to do with SSE2 and the floating point registers. AMD followed them after my CPU set. Google decided to abandon CPUs before the Pentium 4, and introduced the SSE2 requirement. It appears that palemoon has decided to follow Google and discard the "disable SSE2 flag" on compilation. Just another nail in the coffin for these old PCs!

OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 24.7.2 for Linux is now out.
They are saying this will probably be the last of the 24 series and the next one will be a 25
These are compiled without the auto update I believe.
With this and all the other mozilla based browsers what I now tend to do is put them in a directory structure in /mnt/home with a profile directory in there too so nothing takes up any save file space. The launcher script can specify the HOME and -profile locations in the directories in /mnt/home
The only thing that gets created in /root is an empty directory in /root/.cache/mozilla
Not sure if there is a way to stop this but if not it is not a problem of any significance.
Oscar in England

cimarron

#29 Post by cimarron »

Palemoon 25 is available for linux, but a number of Firefox add-ons no longer function with this new Palemoon version. For a list of incompatible add-ons (with some workarounds) and the explanation why, see here.

You probably want to check that your add-ons are compatible with the new version before updating beyond 24.7.2.

charlie6

#30 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
...but a number of Firefox add-ons no longer function with this new Palemoon version...a list of incompatible add-ons...
thanks cimarron !
The SimpleMail mail client add-on might also be merged to that list: i could not get the SimpleMail icon displayed somewhere on the windows bars; I could not find any "modules bar" (as also on latest Firefox, but Firefox displays the SimpleMail icon automatically ...).
In Palemoon: SimpleMail although seems can be started manualy from the Tools/Add-on/

Cheers, Charlie

Pelo

And if Palemoon were the best browser, simply the best ?

#31 Post by Pelo »

And if Palemoon were the best browser, simply the best ?
after installaing Palemoon, can we delete seamonkey and Firefox from usr/lib (Triton Puplet 5.4) ?
Seamonkey, I presume answer is yes, but firefox and palemoon perhaps have common libs. I shall see, and confirm whatever working or not.
Wihdrawal does not impact Palemoon (rebooted)
Further interrogation, are the brand new ISOS cleaned of these libs ?, i verify that right now....
Tahr is ok.
Attachments
usrLIB.jpg
(45.01 KiB) Downloaded 2649 times

Fishy

Pet or SFS

#32 Post by Fishy »

Has anybody made a pet or sfs for the newest version of Palemoon? :D

Thanks

Slacko 5.9.3

anikin

#33 Post by anikin »

You don't need a pet or sfs to install Palemoon.
Go here ==>http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/
Download pminstaller-0.1.6.tar.bz2, unpack it in your home (or tmp) directory and click on the pminstaller.sh script.
Attachments
pm_installer.jpeg
(24.06 KiB) Downloaded 2584 times

jplt

#34 Post by jplt »

Hello,

With pminstaller Palemoon is installed in /opt directory so make shure that your pupsave is big
enough !

torgo

#35 Post by torgo »

The installer makes it the perfect default browser for Tahr or other new pups, as you don't have to sweat tracking down the latest version afterwards.

If anyone's wondering, I have tested the installer with Tahr 6.0 (to update to the latest version) and with Precise 5.7.1 (for a new installation) and it has worked perfectly with both of those Pups.

Tip: about:config works like in Firefox and SeaMonkey.

I don't know yet if Pale Moon has the same cache leakage issues as the others, as I went ahead and tweaked it immediately.

It's actually easier to do in Pale Moon than it is in Firefox:

1) open a new browser window or tab in Pale Moon.

2) enter "about:config" (without the quotation marks) as the URL address.

3) in the search bar, type "memory"

4) Find the line that reads "browser.cache.memory.capacity". By default, it is set to -1, meaning the browser can use unlimited memory for its cache. Right click on that line and choose "Modify".

5) Input a new value to determine how much cache memory you want to allow. I use 65536 (for 64 meg), but 32768 should be plenty.

It's a similar process in Firefox, except that when you enter "memory" into the search bar, you probably won't find the browser.cache.memory.capacity line.

So for Firefox, you then have to right click anywhere on the list of entries, choose "New". choose "Integer" for the type, and then type in "browser.cache.memory.capacity" for the entry.

Once you enter it, then you can set the value to whatever you like.